Hi,

I just gotten into modular with 2 moog a DFAM and a subharmonicon. As expected I went down the rabbit hole quickly and now I'm looking to expand my system. I have no experience with modular synths but I do have some basic knowledge about synthesis and electronics.

What I want of my system is basically more ways to explore new sounds. Some basic noise shaping to use in the films I work on but most importantly new ways to shape sounds and bring melodies to life. My Idea was to make a whole independent setup with modules I came to like in the short period I got into modular synthesis but it's getting a bit expensive and I'm wondering if I shouldn't focus more on just adding some FX to my moogs.

It would be awesome if I could get some advice as to how to go about expanding my current setup.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1257670.jpg

This is what I was looking at.

Thanks!

Hi Itsso,

I had a look at your rack, the size of the casing is okay but I would remove all those Moog modules and leave them in their own casing, that saves a lot of space and money on the long run. Considering that you want to create music for your films, why don't you take a workstation instead of a modular synth? A workstation is so much easier, has so much more sounds ready to start with? You might want to reconsider if you really want to go into Eurorack for the purpose you mentioned.

If you insist on staying with your Eurorack then of course I wouldn't stop you :-) But look then into less fancy modules and more classical components like VCOs, EGs, filters, LFOs and VCAs to start with. One or two effect modules perhaps, a mixer and an Audio Input/Output interface/module.

But please consider a workstation, I think for film music that might be an easier start. Good luck with the decision and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

First up, get those Moogs out of there. This might seem convenient, but in reality it's a big money-waster and space waster.

Second, having done that, remove two of those cabs. Condense the remaining PROPER modules down into the remaining cases. You might also consider removing those mults, since the build would now be small enough that you won't need them, and anything of that sort can be done with inline mults. Plus, you don't have enough destinations for your pitch CV to justify buffered multiples anyway...only use these if/when you're branching off a single CV to more than three (as a rule) destinations to avoid voltage sag.

Third...and this is KEY if you intend to use this for film scoring...you need this: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/expert-sleepers-fh-2-factotum And the reason for this is because you need to-frame sync for scoring, which means that your DAW will need to be SMPTE-capable, and it'll need to translate/lock the MIDI clock to/from that SMPTE clock so that your synchronization between film and sound is spot-on. The FH-2 is Expert Sleepers' clock-oriented MIDI-via-USB module, and you'll find it essential for locking up the Rene and the RCD to your visuals.

Thanks for the tips! I guess I should have left the film part out as its a bit confusing. I'm not composing for film, I'm a sound editor and re-recording mixer. The music part is just a hobby, the work part less important. For some projects I already use some synths to shape noise or add electronic FX.

So, get those moogs out of the way. Does that mean that it is indeed a good idea to add a whole new chain to start building a proper eurorack setup in stead of just adding some FX?

Appreciate the help!

Hi Itsso,

Regarding your question: So, get those moogs out of the way. Does that mean that it is indeed a good idea to add a whole new chain to start building a proper eurorack setup in stead of just adding some FX?

That depends on what you want, either way is okay. You can either run a rack with your Moogs together or you make your rack an independent device; that still can run with the Moogs by the way. It's what you prefer :-)

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads