This patch illustrates the method I use for additive sequencing using the Metron expander Axxent along with a quad channel mixer and a quantizer to sequence 2 modules with related patterns from one source.
Using the Axxent expander I can set gates high per step on the Metron and these will stay high until they reach a step with no gate where they will immediately fall low. By combining 4 channels of these into a mixer I get a potential pool of notes that includes 16 possible values, (2^4 combinations of on or off). These go into the mixer and each voltage is converted from a 10V gate signal down to a usable voltage to represent a pitch interval (so 1V would make a 1 octave interval). It's quite difficult to tune these intervals precisely by ear, and it would be tedious to try, so the next stage is a quantizer where we tune our combined attenuated signals into a constraint like a scale or a chord. From there I the output to a buffered mult on Spaghetti, with one out going into channel 1 of time warp to create gated slides and then off to my lead line in Atlantis. Buff out two goes into a sample and hold where I am able to take a snapshot of whatever note is currently playing on the lead line and this is sent off the Domino to play a Bassline. The Bass line stays the same until I snap another picture of the Lead line with the S&H. I made the S&H take its trigger from the same metron channel that sends the trigger to the S&H which should not be the case, I will attempt to edit that, I want to be able to trigger the Bassline multiple times without it necessarily needing to take a new note value each time, so those should be on two channels of Metron, not one.

@flaminggarlic, thanks for sharing this, this is very interesting and not something I had previously considered.

Btw I can read your post but do not see the patch. The post is description enough for me to have an idea of what you're doing.

I have to ask, why use the method above vs more conventional sequencing or other combined CV (like multiple lfos mixed) driving the quantizer?

IMO the technique above has the advantage of temporal quantizing / grid "snap". In other words, this makes it easy to get pitch values exactly when you want them. But maybe it is harder to get a certain pitch or pitch pattern when you want? I'm trying to think through what might be the pros and cons of this technique versus others.

Again, very interesting, thanks for posting!

BTW, if you're not already familiar with the following modules, they may be very interesting for you. I've been looking at logic and semi-random CV lately, this stuff has piqued my interest:

-- Ladik modules, various http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=7 ... scroll down for modules by category
-- Non Linear Circuits modules, esp the logic (neuron) and chaos ones: https://www.nonlinearcircuits.com/
-- this neural network module IMO would be a nice fit for your additive sequencing setup outlined above, see https://www.analogueresearch.com/product-page/artificial-neural-network ... they are not in stock now, but the maker said a next version is in the works and will be released before long

Hey Nick,
Thanks for telling me about the patch, I had edited it and then hit the browser back arrow on accident so it got deleted. I repatched it above so hopefully that makes things easier to parse. The main pros are speed of programming, and playability. I basically compose in shapes, it's reactive rather than prescriptive, and with Metron, I can make a save with 5 parts planned out but the notes aren't set in stone, I set that with the mixer, I just have a rhythm and a structure mapped out. If I want to make a new pattern it's really easy to do in seconds, on the fly, and because I have the note pool already picked out with the mixer and quantizer, the change won't be jarring. I can then make changes to the note pool if needed, and prepare for another part change. It's great for playing with others and performing live.
The cons are that it won't be exactly the same two performances in a row. Since the mixer settings are manual it's pretty close to impossible to get them back where they were last time, but I actually like that aspect of it too, so not sure that's a con for everyone.

I've also designed another module around this concept, called Aristotle, however it uses a slightly different mechanism to get generate the patterns. Instead of gates in it takes triggers and creates melodies based on the pattern of the triggers. It's a little more akin to something like a cross between the method above and something like the Turing Machine. It's easy to create loops and then a small change in the trigger pattern coming in, creates a small variation on the CV pattern coming out, but if you completely change it up, you get a completely different pattern immediately as well. It's really fun. I am days away from finalizing the design and pulling the trigger on manufacturing, so they'll be available to buy soon!

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/other-unknown-aristotle

I love Nonlinear Circuits designs. I have the Neuron/Difference rectifier, the GENiE, Delay No More, Triple Sloths, and in addition, I modified the circuit for the Let's Splosh and made my own version that outputs all positive voltages, and dessert names that I had heard of before, (this one is my favorite).

I have yet to own any of Ladik's stuff but there are a number of them I have my eye on, and the ARC module is one I've been on the hunt for for years. I have used the Neural Network from the Hemispheres firmware of Ornament and Crimes extensively for such purposes, and it is remarkably powerful, but it takes a bit of time to get used to the interface. I am currently working on laying out a design for a serge inspired panel with Peak and Trough (analog OR and AND logic mixers), 5 channel mixer (2 with attenuverting), 4 comparators, a ring modulator, and 4 manual gate buttons. That will be going into another case from the one above, along with the NLC modules, that is geared more towards experimental wiggling, however.

Thanks again for checking it out,
Jesse

Jesse,

Hey, this is VERY cool!

Thanks for the detailed response above. I CAN see the patching now (after I click on your rig).

Do you have video, Soundcloud, or something similar where it's possible to see / hear the results of your approach? I kind of imagine running this setup myself. But would be very interested to see / hear the results.

BTW when Aristotle is ready for purchase, do let us know!

I'll continue to think on this topic and will come back with a longer post if more interesting questions / comments pop up.

Cheers!

Nicholas