Really like the track. The opening sounds very JX-3P-ish, which really takes me back!

There are no chickens, plenty of rather dumb Wood-pigeons about though squabbling with one another.

Cheers, Glad you enjoyed :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Good atmosphere, nice little ambient trip to start a Sunday afternoon thanks to this piece, the guinea pigs and your music-loving cat. A proper conditioning before joining my own home studio. (BTW do not forget to feed the chickens :)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hello modularies,

I'm looking for a sequencer module (under 16HP preferably) with step input capabilities, i.e that has an input that can record the incoming voltage and store it to the current step.
The reason behind this is I want to be able to quickly input sequences directly from my WMD Monolith keyboard via its V/oct output into the sequencer.
Advise me!
Cheers.

I've not had time for Modular much lately, still noodling but I haven't recorded anything for a while. This started by Matrix mixing a VCO with some LFO's then wave folding some of it while letting the rest out fairly clean. I'm quite enjoying the twinkly stuff going into Mimeophon. Thanks for listening

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

my eurorack

Hi there im really new to Eurorack and so far what you see is what i got. I intend to use my Eurorack with an Arturia Keystep and some Pocket Operators from Teenage Engineering. Is there any Module im absolutely missing out that i need for this to work? I for sure want to get a new Oscillator, since Chips really isn't it even tho i like its quirkiness/brokeness. Which Oscillator should i get, what other modules would be great to get? The goal i have is to make some rather dark reverbed sounds, with some modulation possibilities.

It’s actually looking pretty good for a Behringer! For the more traditional sound, I have the CEM3340 based bOSC in there. That chip was used in the Prophet 5 and others and it's pretty great actually! I'm using it with FM in my track of yesterday on Soundcloud

-- Arrandan

Well that one's on me: I completely missed your 3340 module in my perusal of your rack. I will listen to your track later today. Look forward to hearing it.

-Reserved-

4 Moog Eurorack Cases 60 HP:

• Stacked with 4 tier rack kit by moog
  • 0-Ctrl taken out of it's oiginal case and mounted into the rack
  • Hole for the original 0-Ctrl power cable connector drilled into the left side of the wooden cheek and metal side plate of the housing moog case, aswell through the rack stand frame
  • 2 4ms Row Power 45 as power supply attatched through a custom cut opening with screw holes in the lower back region of the 2 inner // middle moog cases (plugged into a smarthome power socket to turn on and off)
  • Using the 4ms Barrel Jumper Cable (angled) to combine // chain both power supplies
  • Using Eurorack Busboard Extender by PUNKmodular to extend each flying busboard into a chained second busboard cable
  • Extended flying busboard cables are routed up from case 3 to case 4 and down from case 2 to case 1
  • Metal side plates aswell as case sides are filed down at one spot for the extended flying busboard cables to be routed through to corresponding other case to give their modules power

4ms Pod40X (powered version) 40 HP:

• Sitting to the right on my desk
  • I am not using the direct audio outputs of the ES-9 so its slightly shoved underneath a Keystep pro that is resting raised up on 2, 7cm high wooden blocks

thanks! Each module they create is a fully featured thing of its own in a robust enclosure.

Hello, just got a Doepfer PMS(😂)12u monster and was thinking about putting my 3 Moog's in like you have. Does the monster have any issues trying to power all 3 of those bad boys up at the same time?
Thank you for input.

I have a B-MonoPoly. I know it's not a module (and it's Behringer), but it's controllable via CV (along with all sorts of I/O: CV, MIDI, ETC). 4 oscillators and lots of other goodies (modulation-wise). It would inject a more "traditional" synth voice into your setup. It's also built very solidly, which I consider a real plus in this world of plastic-y crap.
-- BerkleeGrad1984

It’s actually looking pretty good for a Behringer! For the more traditional sound, I have the CEM3340 based bOSC in there. That chip was used in the Prophet 5 and others and it's pretty great actually! I'm using it with FM in my track of yesterday on Soundcloud

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

Great video :-) I bought a mixwitch a week ago, and I'm really impressed by this company. Solid module, rich in functions but easy to understand, it's my second Klavis module, I also have a Caltrans, brilliant for tonal stuff, a game changer for me.

I have a B-MonoPoly. I know it's not a module (and it's Behringer), but it's controllable via CV (along with all sorts of I/O: CV, MIDI, ETC). 4 oscillators and lots of other goodies (modulation-wise). It would inject a more "traditional" synth voice into your setup. It's also built very solidly, which I consider a real plus in this world of plastic-y crap.

200 Euros is not insignificant, and a 20hp savings too!

And yes, your "With the Squarp Rample in my current rack" change requires far fewer visits to the doctor. :)
-- BerkleeGrad1984

I was just reading the urban dictionary on rample and had a few loud laughs and beer up the nose moments. Hilarious! If only Squarp knew. Except if they did it on purpose, of course!

I'm currently in the planning phase of a new DIY rack. It'll have to be a 9U 168hp because of size limitations. I would've preferred 12U, but with my current 7U Intellijel, it's already a nice 700hp instead of the current 200, so that should do for some time (and I have space for another 9U 168hp so...). When the build is done, the LXR and FH-2 will be dutifully purchased and publicized in the current thread. But below is a preview of what I currently have in my 7U, with the 1U modules replaced by 3U versions, and some want-to-haves added. Relabi is ordered in the meantime. The layout is obviously not finished. I wouldn't dare put all the multis right next to each other, it makes no sense at all, and the same for the MIAs.

Still looking to add another melodic voice. For that, I'm looking at something very CVable. I like the Twin Waves I have. It combines two oscillators and despite the single parameter, the two oscs can influence each other which can go crazy quickly. I was looking at the Piston Honda and Kermit, but Industrial Music Electronics modules have very limited availability. Not interested in big-screen modules like Cloud Terrariums and a bit stunned by FM, so suggestions are welcome.

ModularGrid Rack

200 Euros is not insignificant, and a 20hp savings too!

And yes, your "With the Squarp Rample in my current rack" change requires far fewer visits to the doctor. :)

Hi everyone,

I’d like to share my newly build rack. As the title suggests I am not an advanced builder nor user of Modular.
My goals are to provide myself with a rack which is capable of analog drums, percussions and hats/claps. Besides the rhythm section I am wanting to create atmospheres (slowly evolving) as well as cutting sequences with feel-able human touch.

My main genre would be techno.

Please let me know what you think, is this a workable rack? Do I need more LFO’s? Or an envelope gen maybe some more filtering.

ModularGrid Rack

Complements are also welcome ;)

Thanks.

yeah, we see that in the video.. Great little module for mangling stuff too, it does great things modulated at audio rate

Thanks for the post, i have this module on my wish list now.

This one even can be used as a 4 step sequencer which is very nice. I allready own the Twin Waves and Flexshaper.

I am now looking at this, which is 20hp and €200 cheaper. I've been using Drambo for MIDI drum sequences so it would work.
ModularGrid Rack

Hey there, It's Thot's Lot, in reality it's 2 distinct systems of 208 HP each, a 6U and a 7U from Casqe From Lake, which is a partner of my YT activities !

The main purpose of Thot's Lot is to be able to jam with the band and create ambiances, beats and globally the sound design of the band. Our sound is a blend of post-punk, techno-punk and neo industrial. We have a fatastic bassist, a wonderful female singer, a strong guitar and me with this weird thing :)

ModularGrid Rack

Hi Gabor,

Wow, what a great track is this?! High tension and great atmosphere you are building up there and your video fits perfectly well with it. I don't think I do sleep well tonight, I am so impressed (in a positive way), this will be for a long way on my mind :-)

Thank you very much for this exciting audio-visual experience you are sharing with us. I love it! Kind regards, Garfield.
-- GarfieldModular

Thank you, Garfield ☺️

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Hi Mowse,

Nice to hear my favourite Moog sound again :-) Great rhythm you got there and I agree here with TumeniKnobs, this could be at least double or quadruple length for me!

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Gabor,

Wow, what a great track is this?! High tension and great atmosphere you are building up there and your video fits perfectly well with it. I don't think I do sleep well tonight, I am so impressed (in a positive way), this will be for a long way on my mind :-)

Thank you very much for this exciting audio-visual experience you are sharing with us. I love it! Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

I'm a bit limited with my Rample.>

That just doesn't sound good...
-- BerkleeGrad1984

Hahaha, well, I'll grant you that. "With the Squarp Rample in my current rack" for you then ;-)

I'm a bit limited with my Rample.>

That just doesn't sound good...

I'm a bit limited with my Rample. I like the samples that are in there, particulary when they're quirky, but then I can't combine those with regular drums because I'm stuck to one bank. So I was considering adding something extra. I'm also bumping into the limitations of my Oxi sequencer, or rather the connectivity. With Rample, I'm taking 1 sequencer and 4 trigger outs, but I frequently wish I could free up that sequencer for something else than drums.

So I was looking at drum boxes like the Drumlogue, the LXR-02 (standalone), the Volca Drum, Elektron Digitakt/Syntakt, and others that I decided were too expensive. Several sound good and seem to have great built-in sequencers. Very appealing! Until I realised I really like CVing stuff with S&H or the Joranalogue Orbit. Even when the sound comes out in separate outs, you can only do so much. For example, controlling the decay of a kick drum or tom can't be typically done with CV on these standalone boxes.

On the other hand, there's modular drum machines. The one easiest to compare is the LXR drum module, as it has the same sound engine of the LXR-02 standalone. There's plenty of CV capability in there and it all sounds very nice. But triggering that from my Oxi would take 7 out of 8 triggers. And for some reason, the LXR module has no midi. (Honestly - the one with the sequencer has midi but the one without doesn't...). So either I'm on the lookout for another hybrid drum machine, or I could try and live with the limitations of an in-box experience.

Or I could try something like this! With a 4MS pod, it would become a nice semi-standalone unit that I can CV from my main modular, yet use standalone as well. Does anybody do something like this - build your own DIY modular groovebox/drum machine? Doesn't have to be the Nerdseq, could be another sequencer.
ModularGrid Rack

What do you think?

I bought a Maneco Labs Grone 2 that I'm pretty happy with and I am considering making a smaller (104hp) portable drone synth centered around it. I haven't been able to find any good videos that show the capabilities of the Maneco Labs Filter Eko and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it or videos that I could reference. Also, while you're here... have a look at this drone rack and LMK if you'd change anything. Thanks in advance (again)!

ModularGrid Rack

I would definitely second this request, now that I have the 1U external display for the Disting EX on its way to me.

@TumeniKnobs & @jb61264
Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you!

If you are interested in picking one of these up post-WMD announcement of going out of business, check out this thread where Bard Synthesizers is taking orders for a replacement version of this module.

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=265889

Thread: Eurobox

I'd say keep maths and add batumi - get a bigger case - a mantis is really only just big enough for 3 voices - you need to add more utilities - mixers, vcas, offsets, attenuators, logic etc etc these add versatility for relatively little cash - see my signature!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you so much for this. I really do see it similarly. It is never a solo.

You need a larger case and more utility support modules. Instead of Maths, perhaps go with Batumi as it takes up less space and easier to use. Also the Instruo Divkid 0chd gives more modulation in space sized HP module. For voices, consider a polyphonic synth module like Knobula Poly Cinematic or Acid Rain Chainsaw as they are not large modules but pack a lot of features.

Attempting to build a simple box with 2 or 3 voices and lots of modulation options.

Am I missing anything important? Sequencing and output are in a different case.

Great piece! But it was weird to see the images in contrast to the gorgeous day we are having right now. Sunny, just hot enough, clear blue sky, birds chirping away, hawks flying around, deer eating apples off my tree, bunnies grazing on my lawn... :-)

BIOman & -ADR- thank you !!
Christian

That's pretty awesome! Totally wouldn't complain if it were (much) longer. :-) Cheers!

yeah, it's real joy to play with

Signal sorcery. Mixwitch is sold for a mixer with a switch section, but it's also a sequencer, waveshaper, octave controler, sub octave generator, clock random, lo-fi machine, AM expert... And so much more..

Very cool...pun intended there ;)
I like the whole 'cinematic' vibe to this...cool photos too (I do some photography as well).

JB

Fantastic!, and given the latest research - a probable prediction.
-- VOW3LLtheVAMPIRE

Thank you for your feedback!

Thread: unintellijel

dual plonks?

Thank you so much for typing all that out. I was looking at the Alan module as a turing machine option but I'm not sure what it would accomplish that PNW or the Winter Modular won't do. I'm going to read this like a dozen times, watch the links and then put it to practice. Thank you so much for your time!

this user has left ModularGrid

A contemplative, slow-build piece with Plonk, Disting Ex, Sub37, Nord Drum2 & OP-1. Patch details in the video description. Thanks for watching.

Yes, and if you get an ES8 or ES9 you'll also be able to use your case with VCVrack which is free and mimics how modular works. It's an awesome way to learn modular and it will inform your choices for your physical rack as you learn more.

Hi!

I just wanted to share with you guys the case I've been planning (and I'm still planning) for the last year.
I don't even have half of the modules here but I'd like to know your opinion in the system.
Do you think is consistent enough? Does it lack on some module? Are some modules repetitive or redundant?
What would you change?

I'm actually struggling about the MIXING / AUDIO OUT part. Still haven't figured.
One of my ideas is to use Ableton as my main sequencer or lead. My idea is to have all the MIDI clips compiled in a session and CV them to the system. I guess that is possible with the ES-8, right?

That's All. I'd really apreciate your help, sugestions or whatever you wanna say.

)

I think there are two sides to your question. The first is how to get the acid sound (aka the sounds design) how to create evolving melodies (specific patches/modules). I'm by no means an expert, I've also stared my full modular journey in 2020.

Of course the synth that introduced acid is the Roland TB-303. I don't have one myself so I cannot give you all the details about this. If you want an exact replication of this sound then there are some modules that are basically 303 eurorack clones like the Open Music Labs x0x heart (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/grayscale-x0x-heart-eurorack-module). If you want to build it out of a oscillator/VCA/filter/envelope combination, know that the main characteristic of the sound is the filter and its resonance, for the other parts like osc and envelope you can use whatever modules you prefer. There are plenty of filters that "scream" in the same way a 303 filter does.
The original 303 has a slide option as well. You can achieve this by adding slew to your pitch CV. You have dedicated modules for this in a small package, like the WMD Time Warp that nickgreenberg mentioned, but you could actieve the same thing with a gate/drum sequencer or something else that produces gates, an attenuator and a slew limiter. I believe you have everything in your rack to achieve this as well, but like mentioned it takes up a few modules vs. WMD's one-in-all solution.
Let me know if you want more detailed info on these above topics.

For evolving acid patterns/melodies, there are a million ways to achieve this. What I think you want is a pre-programmed or random set pattern to slowly change rhythm, notes or velocity over time. Everything that generates CV can be patched into a quantizer to generate pitch information in a specific musical scale. I've seen people use LFO's, multiple mixed LFO's, noise, envelopes, you name it.
What you might want to look into is called "Shift Register" or "Turing Machine". It has a list of random, generated or input voltages. This list is looped and moves (or shifts, hence the name shift register) with every clock input received, over and over. With knobs or CV input you can determine what the probability is the current voltage will stay the same. If its set to 100%, every voltage will stay the same, thus looping it. If it's set to 0%, the voltages are all random again. Divkid has a good video about the Music Thing Modular Turing Machine, which I think the most popular module in this category:

You can achieve similar results with the gear you already have I think. Some examples:
- I believe the Eloquencer has a few ways to throw randomization into pre-made patterns, you could look into that.
- Disting Mk4 has a Shift Register built-in as well as described above, F-6 Shift Register Random Quantized CVs (check the manual).
- Disting MK4 has a quantizer as well, which can be used to turn other CV sources into pitch information. As input you could use anything you want, such as:
- Create a complex envelope on XAOC Zadar, trigger (or loop it that's possible, don't know this module) it from somewhere. This is your looped melody. Patch other LFO's like the XAOC Batumi or Instro Ochd into a bunch of attenuators and use the attentuators' output to control multiple parameters on the Zadar. The more you turn the attenuators, the more you change the envelope aka your melody.
- You could go the other way around as well, so not Batumi modulating Zadar, but Zadar modulating Batumi. Use a mixer to mix all Batumi's LFO's (or patch the output of one LFO into anothers input).
- You could expand on this idea by not using attentuators to evolve the melody, but replace the attenuator with a VCA and use a gate as CV input to evolve the melody on specific steps with a gate/step sequencer.
- Pamela's New Workout has a random stepped voltage output type. In the same menu, you have an option to loop the output for a number of steps. This value can be CV controlled. Use something that creates an offset voltage (like the Befaco A+B*C with nothing patched in) to set the desired amount of looping steps. If you then briefly set the CV input back to 0V, the output starts randomnizing again, until it receives the offset voltage again. Sending it 0V and the offset voltage every few bars evolves the melody, the amount of evolvement can be controlled.

Good luck!

Long time, no see.

A little after dinner Moog jam. Two Moog Mother 32’s played over a DFAM kick. Modulation and VCA’s played by hand. A fun way to play these semi-modulars.

Hope you are all well.