This is a very nerdy video. I was looking for a demo of FXAID's reverbs algorythms, and I couldn't find one, so I got myself a FXAID and a XL version, and decided to make a video for the ones like me who need to get a glimpse of what the verbs are on it.
No talk, just the sound on a basic waveform, for a clear understanding of what the verb does.

i tried using it with usb from hermod to the computer
then choose hermod in the channel in ableton,insert midiclip,but when i play the sound in ableton is kind of high pitched and doesentsound the same as when just using the modular in it self

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

hey ryanthegecko! thanks for the awesome feedback! I appreciate your interest, you can check other jams on my YT channel and subscribe because I'll keep making them :) what was your favourite part?

Wow! Those are all really great sounding. I certainly wouldn’t complain if they were all longer. I love to see the SubH make appearances in this kind of ambient. Cheers!
-- TumeniKnobs

thank you so much! really appreciate it:)

Sounds great ambience!
-- sacguy71

thank you! :)

after a few seconds i've already loved it! don't have the time right now to listen through but i will come back to it later for sure:)

great ambience! this one could run for hours:)

Thread: Only Pluck

Thank you OLDAN, vow311 and jb61264 for your comments.
Minibrute 2 and Rackbrute 6U is a perfect combo for me. Of cource it would be nice with a larger rack when I realize that I need a new specific module for a new patch idea. But I have found out that I often can get close to that modules function by clever combinations of the utility modules that I actually have.
For me the most valuable modules are Marbles, Plaits and Maths.
Here is my setup:
ModularGrid Rack

Smooth and quick transaction with @mircori

I want this to be just l like any other Eurorack sequencers on the market but with a superior interface which can grow to anything.
This is purpose built and designed for Eurorack.
-- mudi

Very nice project, I'll be keeping an eye on this. A mouse is a pretty good interface to do office stuff, but I loathe using it to draw automation curves or sequence stuff, so using touch on an iPad is something I can definitely see myself using.

Wishing you all the best success !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

I like a lot of Lugia's changes, but I might suggest a few tweaks:

Morpheus is a great filter, but it is pretty fiddly to use. Maybe go with a SuperCritical Neutron Flux instead? It's also a stereo filter - well, unless you use it in 8 pole configuration, and it can do some amazing stuff. It also sounds fantastic - one of the best filters I've ever heard. As a b0nus, it would save 6HP.

I'm not sure you need the DCA half-veils in there, especially with two FULL veils! That would save another 4HP, leaving 10 total free for something else.

How about a Joranalogue Orbit for that? You don't seem to have a lot noise/random options in here at the moment...

If this is what you mean, I've been doing the following:

Play any old Audio sample on loop via Disting (or other sample player, or any Audio input to be honest)

I'm using the Patching Panda Punch VCA which has its own decay envelops on its 2 Channels to create an evolving or changing percussion track which I've been triggering with Euclidean sequences which i can control via CV to that it changes over time.
Punch is a great little VCA with its Accent input too so you can get a groove pattern playing that too, it also has Envelop Outs with an Invert switch so you can send that to a Filter to further tweak your sound.

Punch also works great for Acid Synth lines.

I've also used my ALM PipSlope to make an AD envelope to do the same thing coupled with a regular VCA.

The other module i would recommend for this is the Befaco Percall, I don't own it but you can make anything into Percussion with that and it also has Choke so it will shut off the Open Hat with a Closed Hat etc.

As you say you could use an envelope follower which is listening to some other percussion track to get Triggers, gates and a Decay envelope out of it.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I think Katowice needs to have a mixer module with Pan capability for it to flourish

Do you think X-pan or jumble henge are suitable for Katowice?

Hi all,

I am interested in the nRings from After Later Audio, but have struggled to find content on YT. Does anyone have experience with this module? Would you recommend it?

Thanks!

this user has left ModularGrid

Hi GarfieldModular,

Thank you! :)

Could you give me some examples? Play/Stop or something more complex?

Hi Mudi,

Wow a big progress you made there!

Any chance that you are going to add CV inputs to your Eurorack module for this sequencer? :-)

Some basic knobs, buttons and switches as well so one could control, let's say, the main functions not only via the iPad but via the module as well?

Interesting teaser, I can't wait for the rest to come! :-) Good luck with the progress and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Oh man there's just so much good stuff going on here. That bass sounds so fat and lush. It's like a musical chocolate roll.
Controlled chaos, and so much dynamic and timbral range. Beautiful interaction with the piano.
Tremendous performance! I really enjoyed listening. Thanks for sharing.

Very cool...love the setup! I have a Rackbrute 6U with a Minibrute2 (not 2S like you)...have a link to your Rackbrute setup?

JB

Hope you'll get some value out of it! And I'm always up for requests on what to build next, so feel free to suggest something.

Yes, all music in my videos is my original pieces. Only problem I have now is I put up one video every 5 days and I need to start cranking out new audio tracks to go with 'em!

The CopyCat multi from Patching Panda is a great first kit, pretty simple one to get you over the hump of finishing the first. Video in the playlist.
--C.K.

Great stuff CK, and good timing for me. Winter has properly set in and my hobby desk is almost clear of last year’s projects (just finished a wooden clock kit). I have all the Euro DIY stuff ready and I’m almost mentally prepared to try my first kit. Hopefully I can make a passive mult work more reliably than the clock… ;-)

I started watching one of your Befaco builds and the production quality of the video is great. Is that you original music in the background?

Cheers!

Awesome!

Four words. Snappy-Low-Pass-Gates!
-- pigrabbit

Thanks for the input! I looked that up and it sounds fascinating. Apparently this is a good one? https://pittsburghmodular.com/lifeforms-dynamic-impulse-filter

Any other thoughts? Does this sound like a good mix of functions to start 1) applying the envelope of one sound to another source, and 2) filtering the resulting audio following the original envelope?

Thanks everyone!

Sounds heavily compressed/limited to me. Might want to add something like that to your signal chain.
-- farkas

Thanks farkas, appreciate the input. I'll probably handle that with outboard gear or in the DAW (this is strictly for recording). Cheers!

Just got the first prototype ready. Most of the work on the hw side is done.

Raquencer proto v1

I did some work on the SW side too. Check it out here:

Guess this is the correct thread to post this on.
I've started a YouTube playlist on my channel focused on building Eurorack modules. Didn't want to mention it until I had a few, and I'm up to 17 build videos now, so enough to make it worthwhile.

C.K. builds Eurorack

I release a kit build every 5 days, alternating between general purpose kits and Eurorack modules, so there's a new Euro build every ten days.

I am not an expert. I'm a guy who's been building electronics for 50 years (and making electric music that entire time) and hopefully these videos may help someone over a rough spot in a build or introduce someone to the build process for something they want to make.
I may get some things wrong, that's part of the, uh, fun.
I want to build every Eurorack module kit in the world, which is goal which will last forever, of course.
Take a look if this interests you.
--C.K.

Thanks for your thoughts. I realize I didn't share some of my goals - I agree that if this was the only rack I planned to use for learning that a semi-modular unit would be better value. I intend to build a larger 6U rack in the next several months, aiming to master a few modules at a time. The Data unit has been very valuable to me to inspect waveforms and the harmonic spectrum, as well as debug some issues with CV coming from other gear that I have (several synthesizers and drum machines). My objective with this first unit was to move fully into the modular world, as I have several years of experience with semi-modular units and 20+ years experience as a musician. Going forward this rack will serve as a sort of "staging" rack as I learn new modules.

Yes, unfortunately, everything is not perfect. But you can, for example, use a stereo mixer as a sub-mixer,like the Befaco-STMIX or 2 mono channels as stereo with hard left and right panning. And on the mixer there are cv inputs for levels. This could be used for cv controlled mute.

Thank you cmb and ryanthegecko for nice comments!
I was surprised that one single oscillator could sound like this.

Thread: Jamuary

Fun quick patch session

Four words. Snappy-Low-Pass-Gates!

Sounds heavily compressed/limited to me. Might want to add something like that to your signal chain.

Really enjoyed that. Nicely done. That chirping sound at the end is almost exatly what my backyard sounds like on hot summer nights. :-) Cheers!

Wow! So expressive. Beautiful runs and trills. You are seriously squeezing the maximum feeling and tone from that Pluck.
Thanks for sharing.

I've always been a fan of distortion, but the closest thing I've had to it in my modular system so far is a bit of white noise mixed in with oscillators. This changed with the arrival of a Bastl Cinnamon, and I'm now having a great time making it squelch and howl...
Patch notes on the video.

I went with smaller 4 channel mixers that have mute buttons/switches and stereo pan/send/receive that work better for me like Befaco Hexmix, Qu-bit Mixology and Hexinverter Mutant Hot Glue. I feed into larger mixer so works for my needs.

Hi all,

I'm totally new here. Bear with me!

I write and record "damaged pop music." I'm looking for a way to create never-before-heard percussion sounds by taking a sound source of near-constant volume and harmonic mix (say white noise, for illustration) and applying the envelope of a real percussion instrument to it. I'd also like to apply filtering that follows the envelope to give it a weird artifact or changing shimmer.

An example is this track (skip to ~3:00 when it gets noisy, and especially right at 4:09): https://thevictoriousairborne.bandcamp.com/track/the-flare-was-your-eyes Those are distorted cymbal hits (and vinyl record nonsense), but I want to take that as a sonic "what if" and see what happens when I try to recreate it (and surpass it, of course).

It seems modular is the best (only?) way to expand my capabilities here.

At a high level, what functions do I need to do something like this? I'm thinking:

• Envelope follower to extract the envelope from a percussive audio signal (which won't actually be heard)
  • VCA controlled by the envelope follower to gate/boost the audio signal that will supply the final percussion sound
  • VCF controlled by the envelope follower to do weird things to the "heard" percussion as the envelope decays

Does this make sense? (assume I have preamps and such for input and output of audio)

Anything I'm missing conceptually?

Thank you!

Love this topic thank you farkas

Mhhm I use the hermod quiete a lot, not in that setup but it works fine tried it already.

Do you have the latest update on the hermod? What preferences did u setup? Do u use midi or usb?

Sounds like 20 Mantisses, so that's what I would ca a job well done!
-- zuggamasta

:)

Thanks again!

Sounds like 20 Mantisses, so that's what I would ca a job well done!

The new ORCA / Midi sequencing also gets some nice paraphonic chords out of this system. so much more to explore still!

Next on my DIY list is a front panel to mount the small device inside the case (power will be separate to keep the poor PSU from melting). I did a first test from foam board and now need to learn how to solder extra USB sockets to the front. This would also open up the possibility to mount the display vertically. (The display is really nice and sharp irl but always a little muddy on photos.)

imgur

Very nice, and way too short ;)

(How many HPs are hidden in the dark?)
-- zuggamasta

Thanks for listening!

How much HP?
Uhm.. Too much! (6 TipTop Mantis)

Very nice, and way too short ;)

(How many HPs are hidden in the dark?)

So today finally not just a patch, but a real jam. Hopefully I can this one turn later into a song. I thought this one is worth to share with you.

Enjoy! (Hopefully)

This is awesome, @mowse. I admire your patience and your ability to let the music develop organically. Very well done.
Thanks for sharing.

Questions and comments:

The Lapsus and the Quadratt do much of the same thing. Why do you have both in this small case?
The Intellijel VCAs do not have any kind of manual control (like a bias knob). I would start out with 2 to 4 VCAs with bias controls. I'd lose the Intellijel VCAs as well as the USB port and put in an Intellijel Noise Tools unit for some Sample & Hold, slew, and noise goodness.

Scales is nice. But if you're okay with not having real time controls, a Disting EX or a Ornaments & Crime Micro will give you quantizer functionality. Plus when not needed for quantizing they can do a lot of other useful stuff. In a small case, getting more out of each module is definitely a huge bonus. Look into both the Disting EX and O&C and see if they are right for you.

I would also get a small stereo mixing module. Budget around 6 to 8 HP for that. The Quadratt can be used as a mixer. But I think of that as secondary, as the attenuverting portion is much more useful, especially with modules that don't have built in attenuverters.

The BIGGEST ISSUE.
Steppy and Mimetic need external clocks to make them function. Where is this clock going to come from? Also, where will you get the reset signal to restart them both in sync? I would put something like a Pamela's New Workout in the case. It also has multiple functions that are very useful.

Final thoughts:
Small cases seem ideal for first cases. But they are not. Larger cases allow for growth and learning. They are much more forgiving WHEN you change your mind or your level of knowledge expands. Also, small cases tend to have depth restrictions. Not all modules fit in shallow cases like a Palette. Be sure to do your homework on EVERYTHING if you really insist on a palette case.

For the size of the build and its limitations, it's not a viable set-up. It will work. But you're overpaying for the functionality. For a build this small the Data is pretty useless.

You'd be better off buying something like a Behringer Neutron for $300. You'd get more out of it, spend less, and learn more.

Ill chime is as I also own and use this mixer every day.

Things I love
The master send and return:
I can record my entire performance via this output by sending the mix to my 1010 bit box.
Another draw for me, is sending the master mix out to Morphagene and then back in. Instant fun

I do wish there was gain on the stereo channels, but I have them at set and forget, and run a sub mix into those modules to get a stereo image. The cv control on volume and pan is amazing. Its big, but its in my rack and clean. If I wanted a real mixer, I would sent everything out to my console.