this user has left ModularGrid

Sounds trippy nice job. Did you use the Assimil8or for drums? I’ve been using my Squid Salmple for drum beats lately.

Thanks for the kind words. Rack is finalized, although I may move some things around later. Hastily mixed hi-fi version here:

https://dspkills.bandcamp.com/track/jenkrut

Hi Liquidcolor,

Great video with a nice view over your rack! Great track full of energy :-) It's interesting to see your rack in action, especially with the lots of interesting and fun sounds!

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hello Morellofabio,

That's indeed a very weird problem :-) Sounds like if the module wouldn't save the new firmware update or something like that, as if it all forgets about it after a power down... Strange...

Please keep us updated how it goes and what Intellijel tells you/ask you to check. Good luck and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Polyphony on modular/eurorack is getting easier. I have an Acid labs Chainsaw polyphonic module on order and will try it out.
That said certain styles of music like trance and house are easier with a polyphonic fixed hardware synth like a Roland Jupiter X or Prophet X since they have 10 voices, filters, arpeggio, sequencer, FX and even drums on some Roland synths included.

Excited for you on the beginning of your modular journey!

I will +1 the opinion that creating a small setup is a reasonable approach, even for someone new to modular. I've gotten much enjoyment from my first (and still unfilled) 84HP rack and am glad I didn't start big. By having just a few modules, I push each one's capabilities, and push myself to learn things really well, without breaking the bank. And if I'm not really vibing with a module 100%, I trade it and send it on its way to a new home.

In addition to reading reviews/watching videos, the most helpful approaches and resources to me when I was planning my first small setup were:

1. Reading the manuals of modules I was interested in before making a purchase. Often a feature I assumed was there was not, the voltage range was too small for my purposes, etc.

2. Building a "dream setup" like you've done and then sketching out patches in ModularGrid or VCV rack beginning to end. I would think, "OK, I want a bass lead... that's a square wave... with pitch I can control... from a sequencer... but I need less attack, so..." I did this exercise for entire imagined songs. This helped me see which features were either maxed out or unused. I actually created a ModularGrid rack that was three times larger than my actual target case size. It was a great way to keep two rows of "maybes" while I planned.

3. Trying it out for real, one or two pieces at a time. If you can't try before you buy in a shop or with a friend, purchase online. Worst case, many retailers offer 30-day return policies with a modest restocking fee, or modules can be resold independently for near-MSRP, as they hold value well when in good condition. There are affordable multipurpose modules, like the much-maligned Cre8Audio Mr. Phil Ter (Filter + VCA + EG for $100), that can let you get hands-on with multiple features to learn what you need more or less of without incurring a huge financial risk. You may not keep it forever, but something like that is a good learning tool that will also give insight on other things you may not have considered, like "Can I turn these tiny dials?" or "Do I really need voltage control of [parameter XYZ]?" or "Can I cope if this feature doesn't have an LED indicator?" (For me, the prospect of spending $400+ for a suite of "proper" filters, VCAs, and EGs was pretty daunting when I didn't know what would prove useful for me personally. And I feel guilty when I spend a lot of money on something only to not get much use out of it.)

4. Researching brands. There are some brands I won't buy out of ethical concerns. Not everyone feels that way, but I recommend doing the research before you rack something if that kind of thing matters to you.

Just my $0.02. Good luck; have fun!

Every ModularGrid forum post is just the same three guys telling beginners "No offense, but you don't understand Eurorack well enough to start Eurorack" over and over until the sun explodes.

Just Friends has individual signal inputs and individual outputs (as well as a mix output). By itself you can use it to play the over- and undertone series and other relations between the manifold generators, but with Crow or Teletype you get control over each voice individually, letting you program your own sequencer/sequence. That's definitely polyphonic.

Edit: oh, and also things like Bitbox mk2.

I can't imagine a trying to sequence a module like that - having to remember the exact voltages required to get the required gender and degree of a chord - and the pain in the ass trying to get the rest of the v/oct into tune with the chord - and I've never seen one with individual gate ins or, for that matter, outputs - so they're probably all paraphonic and not truly polyphonic

I use a sinfonion - which potentially solves all those issues - but I do use a general cv for chords (which I guess is technically paraphonic too)

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you for the detailed replies everyone.

I now believe I have a clear path of what I need to take my rack in the direction I want to go.

I think the next module I will go with is Veils after more research. The updated version is really neat!

Although the fx aid xl that Jim mentioned is very very tempting. I've instantly fallen in love with it after seeing a few demos. Is there that much of a difference between the fx aid xl versus the fx aid, aside from the extra CV to control the settings?

I'll be DIYing a few things too, like my case, the aim now is 12U/104HP that I'll slowly be filling over the next few years or so. Could also get away with a DIY stereo mixer, hopefully that's not too bad.

Thanks again!
-- unclepeter

No problem - good you found some use for our ramblings!

fx aid: xl is bigger - so better ergonomics (because the knobs have more space) as well as the added advantage of extra modulation inputs

for a DIY stereo mixer I'd consider the tesseract tex-mix - you can expand it with as many mono and stereo channels as you want (4 at a time) and the smd is already done for you so just panel furniture and headers to solder!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

1) VCAs. The more the merrier right? My DIY Dual VCA is doing well, but I often find myself needing more control, both over audio signals and CV. Modules that I've been considering for this are Intellijel Quad VCA and Mutable Instruments Blinds.

Veils is an excellent option. I own the Intellijel quad VCA and it is fantastic.

2) Random CV modulation. This is a big one for me. I've been on a quest to create quasi-random CV and LFOs for my ambient generative patches. I've been able to get away with it a bit using Tides and some CV mixing. I love randomly modulating the voices I use! From my research so far, I hear Mutable Instruments Marbles is great for this.

I have marbles which is great for this. But I'm also thinking that you have stages, which (if you update to the qiemem firmware) gives you a 4th stage-type, which is Random CV. Worth looking into and could shift your focus away from a random module and more towards supplementing your EGs. Just a thought.

Hi Morellofabio,

• So you did check the module alone in a rack without all the other modules and it still doesn't work?
  • Not very likely but if your rack is pretty full with modules you might have reached the maximum power consumption, in that case pull out a few power hungry modules and try again
  • You did check the power cable connections on both sides (at the PCB of the module and at the bus board of your rack)? Careful please, it looks like the Plonk doesn't have a boxed pin header so make sure indeed the -12 V (red line) is connect to the PCB where also that white line has been indicated and -12 V has been written. Same goes for the bus board connection
  • If that all still doesn't work, try to use a 10-pole power cable from one of your modules you are 100% sure it works and check again
  • Now test the other way around, take one of the modules you are 100% sure of that it works, test that module, remember at which bus board header you connected it, does this module indeed work well? It should, right? Okay now remember to take this same bus board header again and now connect your troubled-Plonk module exactly at that bus header, does it work now?
  • Still not? Did you try to install the latest firmware? (Again? Perhaps previously went something wrong?)
  • Still not? Well there is a change that you got a dead-on-arrival module, contact Intellijel, perhaps they have a few more ideas of troubleshooting before sending the module back to your dealer

Good luck with the troubleshooting, please keep us updated and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Removed typo.

-- GarfieldModular

hello... thanks for the attention GarfieldModular...
i tried all these steps you mentioned... still with the same problem. an unusual situation occurred. when I tried to update the firmware, the update was completed successfully, and the module turned on correctly, everything worked.... however, when I turn off the rack, and turn it on again, it comes back with the same problem... then If I repeat the update procedure, it works again, and when I turn off again, the problem returns... I passed all this information to intellijel, let's wait for their response.

Regarding polyphony, things have changed quite a bit with all the dedicated polyphonic modules lately.

Building a polyphonic modular from separate VCO's, VCA's, VCF's, etc. is no longer necessary. Moreover, these dedicated polyphonic modules often provide ways of controlling the voices without sending separate CV/Gate to each voice. That opens up entirely new workflows, which inevitably result in different music. Many of these modules are also not significantly more expensive than a regular oscillator, nor do they require excessive amounts of modules to support them.

So I'd argue that polyphony is no longer an issue in eurorack, it just often requires a different approach.

Seems like a more limited and convoluted Voltage Block to me.

Thank you for the detailed replies everyone.

I now believe I have a clear path of what I need to take my rack in the direction I want to go.

I think the next module I will go with is Veils after more research. The updated version is really neat!

Although the fx aid xl that Jim mentioned is very very tempting. I've instantly fallen in love with it after seeing a few demos. Is there that much of a difference between the fx aid xl versus the fx aid, aside from the extra CV to control the settings?

I'll be DIYing a few things too, like my case, the aim now is 12U/104HP that I'll slowly be filling over the next few years or so. Could also get away with a DIY stereo mixer, hopefully that's not too bad.

Thanks again!

Just seeing this for the first time: https://www.xodes.net/product/pv44

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/xodes-pv44

Looks like 4 sets of 4 voltages, selectable by trigger

If I ran that through 4 lanes of slew then that would be like a 4lane FSS Makrow!?

I use a dual comparator to convert the sine and saw out from a VCO into two kinds of square. Vary the threshold and it varies the pulse-width. Sum several squares with different pulse-width and you get a super-saw thing. Really nice effect to convert a 'plain' sound source into a complex one.

Hi Morellofabio,

• So you did check the module alone in a rack without all the other modules and it still doesn't work?
  • Not very likely but if your rack is pretty full with modules you might have reached the maximum power consumption, in that case pull out a few power hungry modules and try again
  • You did check the power cable connections on both sides (at the PCB of the module and at the bus board of your rack)? Careful please, it looks like the Plonk doesn't have a boxed pin header so make sure indeed the -12 V (red line) is connect to the PCB where also that white line has been indicated and -12 V has been written. Same goes for the bus board connection
  • If that all still doesn't work, try to use a 10-pole power cable from one of your modules you are 100% sure it works and check again
  • Now test the other way around, take one of the modules you are 100% sure of that it works, test that module, remember at which bus board header you connected it, does this module indeed work well? It should, right? Okay now remember to take this same bus board header again and now connect your troubled-Plonk module exactly at that bus header, does it work now?
  • Still not? Did you try to install the latest firmware? (Again? Perhaps previously went something wrong?)
  • Still not? Well there is a change that you got a dead-on-arrival module, contact Intellijel, perhaps they have a few more ideas of troubleshooting before sending the module back to your dealer

Good luck with the troubleshooting, please keep us updated and kind regards, Garfield.

Edit: Removed typo.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Thanks a lot for the extra background info :-) That StarLab module sounds like a fantastic module too! It's not available here (Germany) yet but I have put that on my wish list as well, my wish list is huge... ;-(

I am glad that you like the Iridium so much :-) The price here has gone up quite a bit for the Iridium... I need to wait for a special offer, though some shops do have some Black Friday offers, looks like the music industry here doesn't really seriously follow up on that, hence no real interesting offers...

Till there is a good offer, I am afraid I have to ask you to come up regularly with great tracks were the Iridium (and the StarLab) shines through :-) Thank you very much for this great experience and kind regards, Garfield.

Gotcha well I’m good on buying direct. I did that last year with Mordax Data as they were the only place that had that particular module in stock. Same with Noise Engineering for an LIP and 2hp for their catnip modules. Those sold out quickly too. Sorry to hear about your shipping nightmare Lugia.

Hi Audhentik,

Lovely demo patch about the Arbahr from Instruo. So many modules on my wish list... ;-) It's nice to see it in a video in action!

Thanks a lot for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

Because Ladik has a pretty small operation, for one. Plus, by direct sales, Ladik doesn't need to do any markup for distribution and the like, so the module prices come out as low as they do by avoiding that. Given the choice between a direct order and going through the erratic shipping channels right now, I'd take the former.

And yeah, shipping is SCREWED at present, and it ain't about those ships off LA. I ordered some 25' snakes and Sweetwater said they'd be here today. Are they? No. Currently, they're stuck at FedEx's Indy facility, and have been since Saturday. And this has happened before this year with Sweetwater shipments.

Definitely the 1u modules get far more powerful at an affordable price point. Love that since I can make a powerful mobile setup. BTW Lugia, I did order the Ladik dual delay trigger module today you advised and I had to buy directly order from Ladik in Europe they are in the Czech Republic I believe since NOT ONE single USA shop sells these modules, why?

Good point. Will change them to assembled. Thanks.

The strategy that seems to work best is to put up the highest price (assembled, in other words), but list the modules as both kit and assembled, then the majority of MG users will get that the stated price is for the prebuild. You never want to pay MORE money...but paying LESS? That's a different story!

My big take on them is that, now that we've got proper basic modules turning up as tiles, you could cram multiple VCOs into a space meant for one...or you can pile up a few of Pulplogic's Cyclic Skews, even cascade those via the EOR patchpoint. $200-ish for a triple LFO/EG/slew limiter? Yes, please!

I'm adding some new modules I have for sale as PCB sets or kits or assembled. Of course that's three very different prices. Not sure which one to be listing on the database.
I started filling out the PCB/Panel price because theyre the most popular, but it's misleading to show something so much different from a non-diy item.

looks f'ing awful to me - too much crammed into to small a space (even thought he space is ok)

less is more - maybe 2-3 voices would be better suited in a case this size

go back to the real mutable modules if you like them and thank Emilie for creating them rather than getting micro versions which are un-ergonomic
-- JimHowell1970

No thanks. Im happy with this build :) lel

thanks to both of you for listening :)

ok do all the other modules work perfectly in the same case at the same time? are you sure the power cable i in correctly - red stripe corresponds with marker on module pcb and bus board? if keyed headers - is the cable correct? red stripe is left when key is facing you (lines up with a tiny, almost invisible triangle) on both ends
-- JimHowell1970

thank you Jim for your attention ..yes .. all these procedures I've already checked! and i even disassembled the entire rack, I tried to turn it on only, and it has the same condition (all lights are on, and the front panel is off).

ok do all the other modules work perfectly in the same case at the same time? are you sure the power cable i in correctly - red stripe corresponds with marker on module pcb and bus board? if keyed headers - is the cable correct? red stripe is left when key is facing you (lines up with a tiny, almost invisible triangle) on both ends

what do you mean by "the front panel doesn't"???

I don't think the plonk will make any sound unless it is triggered!

what other modules do you have? the only rack you have made here is a single small row of 1u which is empty!

-- JimHowell1970
did not turn on the front panel! I have a beatsteppro, other modules too... that's not the problem...
the situation with the plonk that is my doubt. all the lights turn on, but the front panel doesn't, the button that would trigger the trigger doesn't either. when I send trigger, or cv, it also has no reaction.
ps. I'm going to build my case here at MG haha

looks f'ing awful to me - too much crammed into to small a space (even thought he space is ok)

less is more - maybe 2-3 voices would be better suited in a case this size

go back to the real mutable modules if you like them and thank Emilie for creating them rather than getting micro versions which are un-ergonomic

what do you mean by "the front panel doesn't"???

I don't think the plonk will make any sound unless it is triggered!

what other modules do you have? the only rack you have made here is a single small row of 1u which is empty!

Lugia and Jim offer great advice and really guided me when I started down the modular Eurorack journey last year.
I can say that the support and utility modules really help especially as you develop skills and build larger more complex patches.
I am using a lot of these now like matrix mixer, logic, attenuators (especially for drums!), VCAs/envelopes and more. My new Palette build has more of these since I will need to fill in the gaps missing in prebuilt modular portable systems like Endorphin.es Shuttle System and so forth. These portable systems do have support modules like the clever tools in ALM Super Coupe but I run out of them fast especially modulation sources. Besides VCV Rack, I recommend the book Patch & Tweak and Chris Meyer's Learning Modular Channel. Divkid is good as well but he tends to rush through explanations as he wants you to pay a fee to join his Patreon channel to get his patchbook guides.

Indeed the XODES is an exciting development that will greatly enhance eurorack setups. I should get my new gear this week and designed the new Palette case to be stand alone as well as support other modular. I did add a triple Sloths module for future consideration to create slowly evolving random generation as well as the new Acid Rain Chainsaw polyphonic supersaw voice module to play with the drums for creating house and trance beats and a Doepfer Wasp filter. That way it can supplement the Furthrrr Generator in the Shuttle System or be a self contained beat making box much like what I have in my ALM Busy Circuits Super Coupe system that is a great system as well.

So I revised over my previous build (Beep Boop Complete)
I decided that I really like mutable instruments because I wanted more functionality. However, the space available with MI modules is very limited. Luckily CalSynth exists. over all, I think this is a pretty good build. Plenty of experimentation as well as basic synth building. Little digital here, some analog there, a nice balance of control as well. It will be epic.

hello friends, i bought an intellijel plonk, and when i turned it on for the first time, all the lights went on, and the front panel doesn't... and also doesn't make any sound. Does anyone know what this is and how to solve it?

Thanks Garfield and CMB for the very kind comments. Much appreciated.

@Garfield - Yes, this was most definitely not "generative" (which implies a mostly set-it-and-forget-it type of thing). It was a very hands-on "performance" of the patch. I was constantly making changes and I'm actually amazed I managed not to hit one wrong note on the Keystep. ;-)

That specific part you called out at 16:14 was one of the sections with just the M32 and the Starlab, and the resonance was being modulated by Sloths which just happened to peak along with the Cutoff, which was being modulated by Maths which was patched to itself to be pretty unpredictable. A nice happy accident.

I am loving the Iridium. It's great out of the box, but it's also very easy to do sound designing - especially for dynamic ambient sounds. The Mod Matrix is the best I have seen. Once you spend a few hours with the UI you'll love it.

Cheers!

Big thanks to everyone for the comprehensive replies! Much appreciated.

plaits with steppy?
tiny case:
-- JimHowell1970

Thanks for the heads up on steppy. Will have to do more research on the sequencer. Maybe a Scales would do the trick?
Re tiny case: I get what you're saying but desktop space is a concern for me. I think I'd rather be swapping out modules than having most of my desk taken over by a half-empty behemoth of a case. I'm sure there's a solution somewhere between the two - will have to keep looking.

@kossu did you buy any chance get inspired by one (or more) minimalist setup videos from Rick Tinez ?
-- toodee

Mostly by a guy named Ihor, although I'm familiar with your reference. And the answer is yes, I have been inspired by the minimalist setup videos :)

Consider a Behringer 2600, also.
Another learning tool: VCV Rack.
-- Lugia

Excellent suggestions, especially the VCV Rack is exactly what I need. Thanks.

More general takeaways from here: do more research, look into a slightly bigger case (but not much, for aforementioned reasons) and try to better match the comparative sizes of the modules. Less fx, more utilities (that one I kind of figured out already :)

Thank you! :)

I am inspired by birth, death and the events inbetween.

https://youtube.com/@aphewgoodman

Great discussion. I love modular drums but they are very expensive! I have ten drum modules and they are cool but I’m way more productive using a dedicated drum machine or sampler if I’m in a hurry to whip out techno or play live. Case in point: a fellow synth buddy kindly loaned me his Elektron Rytm MK2 drum synthesizer. I was able to build a compelling techno set in minutes. Plus can save and use presets. Now to do the same in modular requires way more effort, time, and cost. I usually just patch a kick, clap and hi hat into my Euclidean Circles sequencer and get a fun tribal drum beat going. But using Metron or Eloquencer to sequence is more involved and tricky.

The Rytm costs under 2k new, comes with what you need and is portable. Same modular easy 5-10k. I’m experimenting with a small techno setup soon once Queen of Pentacles arrives with Ground Control.

USB tends to have better transmission rates when sending MIDI over that, as opposed to the much narrower bandwidth of MIDI. One or two synths, doesn't matter. But in THIS environment, anything that can do MIDI over USB is getting connected to the USB. It reduces the piles of cables needed, plus it's a little easier to get things sent/received from USB piped to the right destination, and no meaningful latency "gagging" from overtaxing the MIDI signal.

@Lugia - for your BSPs, do you have them all set up with USB into DAW? or do you use CV Tools clock? I am using USB currently and then have the MIDI from BSP to my Hydrasynth (which in turn clocks out to my Rackbrute 6U modules. I have used the MIDI thru to also run out to my iPad (via Korg plugKEY)...finding a bit of latency when I route through Hydrasynth as it tries to 'figure out' the bpm from BSP...I've seen a video where someone recommends counting in 1 bar first so it can 'catch up' but I'm wondering if there are any better solutions to getting accurate clock through everything. I also picked up a Roland TR-8S (USB into Ableton) and have to set about 20ms clock sync delay even though going through USB. Is it better to use straight MIDI in/out? Unfortunately the MOTU 828 doesn't do MIDI...I suppose I could use my old Focusrite 2i4 as a MIDI interface only.

Took me some time but I have everything set up so I can have BSP start/stop everything (Ext set in Ableton)...seems to work decent overall, just wondering if I should consider something else for keeping everything in sync.

JB

“two BSP’s” = 2 Arturia Beatstep Pros yes?
-- nickgreenberg

Yep. The setup I have actually makes the ergonomics work, too. I'll show you how...

There are two 8U slanted carpeted racks at the rear of this part of the "modular sandbox". One contains the B.2600. The other contains the MOTU 828 mkii, Korg SDD 3300, Zoom 9120, a quad Symetrix gate, and two 1/4" patchbays. Then on top of those is the 22sp Digisound 80, with my two MS-20 Minis on stands for a forward tilt at the very top.

First up, the KSP. It fits perfectly on this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFDJCSL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 and that way, it's not ON the desk, it's UNDER it and I can pull that out when it's needed. Easy access to the jackfield on the back, too!

Next, the BSP stand. Since these angled racks have some "dead space" at the bottom, there's a space where there's just the shell of the case. So in front of that, I placed the BSPs on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079CBMCJS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Looks simple, isn't expensive, and it accommodates two BSPs perfectly.

The MS-20 mini stands are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SS9996G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Basic, generic laptop stand that tilts the synths forward to make access easier, as this thing's a bit tall.

And as for the racks, I endorse the HELL out of these: https://prospeakerparts.com/collections/rack-cases-carpet-covered-2f Direct to the customer sales, great shipping and turnaround, and these are built like the proverbial brick shithouse. They ain't no joke! Plus, when you compare the prices with similar Middle Atlantic or Raxxess/Chief models, you make out like a bandit with these guys.

Yuppers. And I should also note that these machines (in my case, a 909 and two 606es) were crazy-useful LIVE, no DAW...in the mid-1990s. The ability to send triggers to various other devices and even mess with the timing/rhythm of those in real time was very freeing. And then, of course, the bass channel of the 909 also provided a good source for the building-damaging CZ-101. I actually used that same configuration for a number of live sets in the 90s.

first patch with Arbhar, very simple but effective :)

Yep! Those XODES tile carriers are a great idea done really well. You can even get them with BOTH tile formats in one carrier! And since tiles are now appearing with deeper functionality, these should hopefully see some action.

oh yes, looks like a lot of fun! very nice patch and performance swell:)

Thanks Lugia, good to know. I hope the replacement does what it's supposed to.
-- Mazz

It probably should. This brings up the point that if something electronic is going to fail, those failures tend to happen at or within a few days of initial power-up. I recall getting a HUGE (21" monochrome) CRT monitor for my first serious machine (Mac IIcx), plugging it in to check it with the computer, then I went downstairs in the grad housing to check on laundry.

When I got back, there was this humming noise. Smelled like ozone in there, too. And the monitor was off...? No, it was NOT off, and when I looked through the grille on the case, I could see various sparks popping around. Immediately unplugged its power, then disconnected it from the Mac. But that happened within the first hour of power-up, necessitated an immediate replacement.