Thread: -

Hi Flowwwer,

I would put 2 blind panels of each 4 HP put in the lower rack next to the Metron. It's always good to have some spare space left and then you are able to extend your Metron with for example 2 more Voltera modules.

Must the rack be full? Perhaps keep the other gap filled with a 8 HP blind panel as well? If you put your rack now full then you are forced to buy a new rack in case you want to buy more modules after a certain time. If you keep the 8 HP now free, you have at least some spare space in case you unexpected come along a nice module :-)

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Although this is for my customers, the music is from my latest album.

CV processing and perhaps logic like an Intellijel Plog.
-- exper

Yes, been thinking about Plog as well.. What kind of CV processing module were u thinking about?

CV processing and perhaps logic like an Intellijel Plog.

Hello,

Im thinking to fill my last 16 hp but im kind of confused what to add, what would you have added?

ModularGrid Rack

I just got mine, and I agree with the others. This thing is a monster alpha male. I think I'll find uses for it. I think it's a good augmentation to my setup because I mostly use Plaits and Peaks for percussion up to now. I have tried to shy away from one trick pony modules. I also think my Muxlicer and Percall will help augment and tame this beast. I'm generally either in pounding beats or all the way in the other direction doing generative ambient. Interesting times.

I'll second @JimHowell1970 on the A-118, I have one and like it but Kinks can cover random for you and it's got some nice extra functionality packed in. Agreed as well that the FX Aid is great.

Drums wise, take a look at the HexInverter "Mutant" series. The Mutant Hi-Hats is just fantastic and will have a lot more range than the TipTop clones, plus you can put all that modulation to use on it. 13HP is a lot in a case this size, but it's worth it if you're going to do drums in the rack, imho.

Thread: RRR

I tried a Drone.... some of its drone, some of its not!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

you don't need an extra lfo, but you might want one - modulation is probably one of the most important things in modular - decide if you want sync/reset or free running lfos

personally I would add a matrix mixer instead of another modulation source in this size case - very useful for combining modulation sources - and can also be used for feedback mixing, amongst other things

fx aid xl seems to be the best bang for buck multi fx module - more modulation, more effects and less cramped than a lot of the competition

incomplete power means no one tested and noted the power consumption in modulargrid - it maybe available on the nlc website though - or not, you should be ok as long as you leave enough headroom - 20-30% or so overall - I always use 10mA per rail per hp as an upper guide - it is probably less than that - this is one of the reasons why it is better to design the case around the modules rather than trying to fit modules into a case!

replace the intellijel quad vca with veils - saves 2hp

the tritone is probably superfluous - you have filters! - if you want this much control I'd consider dropping this and one of the filters and getting mutable shelves instead

probably not enough mixing capabilities - for submixing pre filter, final stage mixing etc - I'm guessing final stage is external

not enough in the way of utitlties in general in my opinion - I'd remove the mult and doepfer a118 and replace with mutable links and kinks - and add a shades - or at least their functionality - read the manuals carefully

you may not need the adsr - most people use simpler envelopes - unless they are specifically using a keyboard to play

how are you sequencing/playing v/oct? - depending on this you may not need the quantizer - or you may need a sequencer!

I'd consider a disting (mk4 or ex) as it will be useful working out what functionality you need

I would go very slowly adding only a few modules to start with and then expand as you feel you are missing things - try to make sure that you know modules fully before buying new ones!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Hard to beat the Happy Nerding FX Aid XL for a multi-effects module.

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1426890.jpg

Hi! i wanna make an experimental/drone rack that I can use for techno too. Note: I have a moog DFAM for drums and I can patch it as an additional soundsource, VCF ect. too.

Questions:

Do I need another LFO if I have a Maths and the NLC Chaos which can be used as random CV source?
Is there anything I can get rid off or save on?
I need more Fx, cant decide multi fx module to get.. any recomendations? Id love a few delays (pingpong!), distortion, and chorus.
NLC FF Chaos: It says that this module has incomplete power consumption specs. what are specs? what does that mean exactly?
Any general comments?

thanks a lot for your feedback!!

Great music for cold blue skies.

Do you really need to re-organise your rack or would some longer cables be helping you out here to reach all the modules? ;-)
-- GarfieldModular

I'm currently in need of more power so some things are unplugged in favour of other modules.

I've figured I can drone on without gates for the moment and just control pitches so I'm playing with ideas.

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks Garfield!

Yeah the Eloquencer is an amazing sequencer even more so than Metron in that it can do more sequencer modes and better quantizer scales and ratcheting. I'd love to get my hands on with 512 Vector and Erica Synths Black Sequencer after Covid lockdowns end and stores open again for in person visits. I like that I can mix up patterns quickly on the fly with a simple button push and use the modular hands on while a good base pattern is running on the sequencer.

And another, but this one is just the Double Knots and Plumbutter.

Inscrumental music for prickly pears.

Here's another one with the same set-up, minus the fuzz, plus a Mother-32. Kinda drifts pitch-wise, but I like the cracked nature of it.

Hi Baltergeist and Lugia,

Baltergeist: That's a great nice track, real nice way to start the weekend :-)

Lugia: I just managed to get a Fuzz pedal from Cuvave before the Brexit but had no chance to test it because of lack of a power supply, then just recently tested it but looks like a DOA (Dead On Arrival) :-( I was so looking forward to this pedal...

Bad luck, even more bad luck since sending this back to Amazon UK costs a fortune, I had been told by the post office because of the Brexit their costs went rocket high now. It costs more to send it back then the unit costed me...

I hope there will be a time that I can experience a Fuzz ;-) considering you can't get it here in Germany and the UK because of the Brexit is a bit difficult to get things there or from.

Kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Sacguy71,

The Eloquencer sequencer together with your percussion modules are indeed very nice and attractive to watching you, using and demonstrating it. Great fun! :-)

Enjoy the weekend with the Eloquencer and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Zuggamasta,

Wow, nice long track where you take us on your sonic adventures! :-) You got at several spots some real fun and nice melody lines with fun & good sounds. I like that!

Then you have a Leslie effects module on the left bottom turning around for your Leslie effects, great! I guess that's using blue tooth or some other wireless protocol otherwise the wires are getting wrapped up pretty fast ;-) Just kidding! By the way, what module is that?

He, he, I overlooked your video above this one, going to check that one out now, looks like some fun too!

Looks like you got yourself a new toy, the OP-Z ;-) Enjoy and have fun with it and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Wishbonebrewery,

Then it's even a nicer can :-D

I wish I could make nice long drones like yours. Do you really need to re-organise your rack or would some longer cables be helping you out here to reach all the modules? ;-)

Good luck with the possible re-organisation and kind regards, Garfield.

Thread: Pedal Love?

I have just listed a pedal for sale, the first time I have done this, expecting it to appear in the regular Marketplace...

Turns out there is a whole separate Pedal Marketplace... who knew?

p.s. It's the Empress Zoia for a really good price :)

Thanks Lugia :) Just ordered the ES-8 I got it for a good price. Only £300 on eBay.. bargain lol.

i mostly agree with this except for the "go do something else" part :D i just yank all the cables and start from scratch..

Thread: Takaab SMIX

I was trying to sum together triggers, with the added wrinkle that some of the triggers go to multiple destinations. As it is any trigger into the SMIX and everything gets triggered.

Right now I've got the patch sounding TIGHT ... but totally failing to get some musically satisfying arrangement.... Weekend ahead though!

Ryan over on 60 Cycle Hum on YT is 100% right: anything Cuvave is responsible for seems to turn out to be the most wacky and extreme stuff out of China right now. As opposed to the usual "clone" pedals, their boxes (at least, the ones I have at this point) ALL do things that are rather warped equivalents of what we're used to...hence, they're effin' brilliant! I actually have TWO of those little tan monsters now so that I can go for max velcro fuzz in stereo!

If you're going with the ES-8, it should DEFINITELY be next, as it poses a bit of a learning curve due to the fact that it connects to external software, and you'll have to sort out how to best integrate that with your DAW for the optimal results you're looking for. After that, then I think the Stereomix should be the next pick so that you can familiarize yourself with applying CVs to its various functions, and how to best do that. Like any other mixer, you need to get really cozy with how it behaves before the next steps.

Thanks, troux!

Nice one @baltergeist, the percussion is a really good touch... great inspo for the weekend!

Picked up another 2hp Tune module recently since it's an effective, cheap, and small quantizer, to pair with my 2hp TM. Ran it through the pedal boards, including the Cuvave fuzz pedal (thanks again Lugia!). It's playing over top of semi random bass and percussion from a pair of Lorre-Mill Double Knots and a Plumbutter.

Thanks Lugia, most definitely. I may start a new thread on the drum skiff but will look into the recommendations for sure. You’ve really helped me focus on the WeedyWhizz case. If you don’t mind, would you be able to share some ideas about the order of purchasing the additional modules you suggested please like should I focus on the es8 or the modulation / interconnecting type modules you have suggested on the second row?

I am definitely ordering the Tip Top processor as I was loving the way it was manipulating sounds in the tutorial videos I was watching the last few days but after that, what would be the logical choice of adding the additional modules?

I also have a digitakt and maschine which I tend to use alternately for sampling and drums, and tend to use a couple of Korg sq-1 sequencers and have a couple of Behringer neutrons and the Behringer model d. Its was the patch bays of these things that got me interested in Eurorack.

Hello Modulargrid,
Thank you for your support, kind words and reccomendations. I have too much fun with this synth.

Okay, the time marker doenst work: Jump to 40:19 for a lot of fun :)

Thanks very much Garfield, the Can is real :)

I want to try and create an evolving drone but I feel like I need some pointers, plus I only have the Noise Engineering Bin Seq that I can make long gates times for notes, I feel a rack re-organisation may be needed.

Fun experiment using Winter Modular Eloquencer to sequencer patterns with ratcheting of gates and CV with focus on Noise Engineering Basimilus Iteritas Alter (BIA):

Enjoy! Incredible potential that one module can do with Eloquencer sequencer.

Hi Wishbone Brewery,

Oh that's a nice relaxed song, fantastic, just before going to bed a peaceful song like this. The best way to "switch off" the day :-)

Nice can, is that photoshopped or a real one?

Thanks a lot for sharing and kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Ivo,

He, he, fantastic, another fun track. Lots of nice sounds :-) It gave me a bit of a popcorn feeling too ;-)

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

Hey @Lugia, thanks for the input. I hear you loud and clear and thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Without showing you a picture, the setup is small enough where there are no long cables necessary (A100 and Intellijel 108hp that are perpindicular to eachother), but you're totally right when I start growing my set up. This was really just to make up for having a small case and the opportunity to add a smaller case to the mix.

Stereo out in this case could come from Out 1 + 2 of the ER301, but at the moment I'm actually just playing with using those 2 as individual mono outs from each Optomix out to the interface. Seeing how mixing in Ableton works and for producing purposes. So we'll see.

I like the voices, I know it takes up a lot of room (remember there is another 104hp row that is currently not smartly housing cv). I felt the Birdkids was an interesting choice vs AJH Minimod VCO and VCF (which is what i was considering). Verbos is a little big but I love it and doesnt really need a filter IMO. But I hear you on the signal path, etc being the point of a whole voice (though I would say I have 3 definite voices atm in this system, not sure why you disagree, understood its minimal), and thats making me reconsider on the ER301 path.

The ER301 is really just something I was thinking about that could solve some purposes/was having a crisis and rethinking things. Thank you for putting things back into perspective. I was just 1) figuring out my mixing situation that works best with my producing workflow and multitracking, 2) reverbs dont feel like a strongsuit of eurorack when I can use Eurorack or a OTO Bam, 3) I haven't found the sampler that I love yet, been thinking the Mungo G0.

Thanks again, Lugia.

First up, separating your modulation/CV from your audio generators and modifiers is a really, REALLY bad idea. For one thing, if you wanted to use a logic gate as a waveshaper (which can be quite neat...results in nasty pulse waves!), you'd have to run a long cable all the way to the other cab, connect to the gate, then another long run back to your audio chain. This is just one example, and I know there's tons of others, but the point is that working this way is VERY inefficient and unintuitive. Remember: one of the strongest points to modular synthesis is that there's a certain degree of interchangeability between things that make noise, things that modify noise, and things that make those two things happen. And having everything in one place, as one unitized whole, is a thing that modular is prized for.

Second, if you have a stereo out here, where's the stereo mixer to feed the stereo out with a proper stereo image? I see a lot of HYUUJE (and in a couple of instances, pointlessly so) modules in a tiny 2 x 84 cab, crowding out any of the room you'll need for other things (VCAs, mixers, modifiers, etc etc) that make these big, expensive modules work to their fullest. This promises to turn into a problem pretty quickly if the target here is "3-4 voices"; if I were to use the DTM mixer as the primary qualifier of how many voices you ACTUALLY have, I'd pin that total at "1".

Remember, a "voice" isn't JUST a VCO. It's the signal chain that goes from a VCO, through a VCF for timbral modification, then through a VCA for amplitude modification. You simply don't have that here, ergo you're not even on track to having those 3-4 voices. You might (read: SHOULD) want to rethink what you're doing here, jettison the idea of splitting the modular functions up into separate cabs, and reconsider putting everything where it belongs...in the same case. It'll make what you're up to a lot clearer in the end.

This is why I don't even bother with sending MIDI to modulars, for the most part. It makes far more sense to use soundcard-type solutions with various software that can send straight CV/gate/trig/clock/etc via a DC-coupled audio interface, because you tend to not see those sorts of latency "slop" issues. And if this starts running noticeably ahead of the MIDI-driven stuff, it's easy enough to get at just those tracks in the DAW and nudge them into place. Of course, we all know about Expert Sleepers' modules, but their software (Silent Way) can also work via a proper digital audio interface with DC coupled I/O. I use a MOTU 828 mkii for this...8 in, 8 out, Live's CV Tools doing the work.

That patch that was incoherent and pi55ing you off.... 'that one' sometimes turns out to be rather enjoyable.... just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking, just keep tweaking....... I also speak Whale

Nice work... checking you out on Youtube.

RRR - Reverse Reverb Reverse

Mutable Marbles for gates and pitches, 2hp Bell & Pluck along with the Befaco Even VCA and a little Noise from Kinks through Dannysound Timbre, each part has its own effect, tweaked and mixed in real time. Divkid Instruo Ochd is tweaking Marbles and the Happy Nerding VCF on the noise sweep. Tiny little bit of reverse reverb added in software which all but invisible.

Cheers for listening :)

why was there a problem with earlier versions ?
thanks

SH

Hey there,
this rack is just audio, sequencing+CV is done elsewhere

I'm starting to move in the direction of multitracking my eurorack system, to then be mixed in Ableton. I think this makes the most sense for my setup, though I am not sure about the workflow side of things. I'd prefer to stay OTB but Ableton provides 1) so much more flexibility for mixing and mastering 2) reverb/ambience/effects I think makes a lot of sense ITB 3) sampling probably makes more sense ITB, but I like the vibe of sampling OTB. Well regardless - my setup will consist of 3-4 voices that will be sent to Ableton from Happy Nerding Isolator (or 2, as 4xmono outs) to my Apollo Interface.

I have been thinking that an ER 301 could be a really good addition to this setup because it adds sampling/granular stuff, can be a sort of final mix/master before hitting the computer, could also add in reverb and delay stuff, also as additional VCAs, plus all of the other good stuff in there. But then I start thinking that all of that could be done by skipping the ER 301 and using the computer... But that sounds like a lot less fun, though more clinical.

Sorry for the rant and not a very clear question. Would love to hear any thoughts on the rack, multitracking, ER301, or my specific situation. Just trying to flesh out the best workflow that allows me to have fun, make good music, and mix that music properly. Thanks a lot.

Thread: Vocal Track

@Quantum_Eraser,

Thanks, I use a very hybrid system as I have gathered a lot of different noise makers and enjoy using them all. The modular is full of sound designs that I would never find using a VST (its not that they can't be found, I just prefer the more hands on approach and satisfaction the modular provides), and at the same time my modular is not big enough (yet) to get a lush 7 voice chord stack.

I often will take the bounced audio from a VST and then resample it through the modular system because I like the hands on control I get rather than messing around with drawing automation lines in the DAW, and I simply love the sounds of the analog filters and effects I have in my modular rig.

I am hoping to expand the modular in a few months as I continue to push my understanding and capabilities of my rig, I am also on the look-out for a great poly-synth and analog drums.

The 2021 version is solid an in tune.

why was there a problem with earlier versions ?
thanks
-- productionsah
It takes a wile untill the OSC is in tune! but only the Build Versions before 2019

Greadings from Berlin
Statrax

Find us live on
twitch YouTube

Ah now I get you. It's one of the reasons why I also not bought into the nifty: It's modular is a great platform to switch out things if they don't work, but now it looks like you need to switch cases ;) .

My experience with midi clocks is, they tend to be a bit tedious in setting up. Reaper (DAW) for examples does not sent start stop or clock bei default, but it needs to be configured in the midi out.

From a quick search it looks like the clock needs to be activated seperatly from midi out on the elektrom rythm:
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-clock-out-set-up/29559
But you probably already checked this

To further explain i have made a basic diagram which hopefully sheds lights on what I would like to have

Current situation with problem 1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IOLw3usFERrRKgA-N71aUs9sDtNcVrrk/view?usp=sharing

New Case (Need USB/MIDI to CV Module)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UnxxlANQ0iGCQeApaYumAQNG386iKZsV/view?usp=sharing