buying and selling to members

-- FSK1138

We now have a marketplace with a nice search function and a notification feature!

-- modulargrid

I guess i'm over looking.. where's the search in the Marketplace?

Thanks,

-- dugoutcanoe

Hi,

There is a drop down selection in the module finder titled "Available In Marketplace" where you can select a few different ares of the world or global etc. It's nice because along with the other regular selections like Manufacturer, Function, Width etc you can quickly find out if there is a module for sale.

buying and selling to members

-- FSK1138

We now have a marketplace with a nice search function and a notification feature!

-- modulargrid

I guess i'm over looking.. where's the search in the Marketplace?

Thanks,

can't wait for this one guys!

Here's a little ambient track I made using IME modules:

https://soundcloud.com/ml_schroeder/moonlight-interference

Cheers!

It might be the right place to start...but if you're doing more live gig work than studio, possibly not. My suggestion would be to come up with a rig that has a lot of these functions pre-wired, with the ability to drop certain specific modules into the architecture as needed. Have a look at Arturia's MiniBrute 2 or 2S, paired with a 3U RackBrute that contains a few 'extras' that're more processing-specific, and see if that sort of basic build seems workable to you.

I just bought a Vulcan Modulator plus Mind Meld from @Gregsen. Very good communications, excellent description of the mint Modules and fast shipping. Great guy and very nice, too. Thanks a lot!

@Mosiej

Good traders
Thanks for Shipping fast mate...
Good looking module!!

Definitely a cool guy to do business with!!

Account below
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/view/82781

bài hát

Yep, that angular arrangement looks killer! Can't wait to see this completed...

My suggestion would be to look at an Expert Sleepers FH-1 instead of the Yarns. The programmability of the FH-1, plus the assignable CV outs and the ability to expand those up to 64 outputs would allow much more than 4 voices, plus it would let you output velocity, aftertouch CVs as well. And since it's a fully-compliant USB host, any controller with a USB connection will work just fine. It can even power USB-powered devices up to 100 mA.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/02/625363659/moog-says-chinese-tariffs-may-force-a-move-overseas

Totally awful...not merely economically for their employees and for those of us who'd likely have to pay more for their products, but that the current bad ugliness over here is going to run a part of American musical history out of the country where it envisioned (along with Don, natch) all of this.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've avoided some major design errors with your help.

I ended up ordering a full set of 7U 110HP rails and endplates from Clicks and Clocks. Stefen sells beefy M3 rails with machined endplates for a really good price, and so I just got the whole set from him (including the odd Intellijel 1U format ends yay). I was happy to find the prices including shipping were very reasonable.

So for phase 2. I ordered a Intellijel TPS80W, it's almost 2x my power requirement. I am imagining I'll use a flying bus board cable for 6 of my lowest-power modules (maybe the attenuators and mults) since I only have 20 headers on the board. I got the matching power entry 1U tile from Intellijel, and I'm going to make a 1U-sized hole for it on the rear of the box so I don't have to do any actual wiring of electrics.

Once the parts arrive I'll start to refine the shape of the design to make sure everything fits right, but I have this so far:

See side view of box here: http://prntscr.com/k3d9gc
My main concern now is to make the internal size of the box large enough for the power supply and cables (and I've pushed this a bit towards skiff dimensions to match the side-profile of the Sub37). Deepest module is 50mm on the top row. Looking at my wood stock, I have some 1in cherry for the sides and some walnut from pallet-wood for the front and back.

if you really want the intellijel 1u in a diy case i'd not bother with the endplates
if you want to use endplates for the 3u and possibly a row of pulp logic sized 1u then make a couple of correctly sized endplates out of some thin wood

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Bought a Moffenzeef Modular GMO from @smirnow - very fast shipping, nice communication and the module is in perfect condition. Highly recommended seller!

ModularGrid Rack

I'd like some input on my first setup.

All the modules here I have minus the reverb, joystic, and the two mxmxmx units. Those are currently unassembled. Also not shown is a SQ-1, a Werkstatt with CV expander and Korg's reissue of the odyssey.

My end goal for this current rack is a multitimbral synth that's chord friendly as well as being duophonic for basslines and melodies. I plan on playing the odyssey with a keyboard and using it's cv/gate out for monophonic patches for now. Eventually I'd like to get a yarns for the 4 voice allocation mode.

My long term goals with eurorack are fairly ambitious. I want to get into making generative music, as well as using my modular to process other sources like guitar, drums or other synths. Of course I'd also use it as an awesome mono synth or rudimentary poly synth. On top of all that I'd like to do this without spending a fortune. The case I've built myself and I'm looking to assemble DIY modules.

Where should I go from here? I have about $600 left to finish this rack. Should I invest in some more modules or should I get a semi modular to augment what I currently have?

I know I'm lacking a good LFO (the werkstatt has one I can use for now) a S&H, and a multiple. Logic and line in/out come in 1u tiles so I'll be making some of those. The SQ-1 covers my need for a sequencer and clock for now. What other utility functions should I get?

Thanks in advance!

It would be really nice if the "show similar racks" only counted the modules once per each copy of the module you have in your rack. I mean, it's just silly that because I put an OTool in my rack plan that the number one suggestion is a joke rack with 48 more Otools in it... ditto for most of the other popular modules. This would eliminate a lot of the 'spam', and make the feature more useful for people trying to do research on what modules are popular combinations with their existing setup.

I think this is the right start, but here are a few points:

I found rings to be a beautiful module, but with a kind of restrained sound palette, you should test it in VCV Rack before committing.

For generative patches you might want a random source and sample and hold modules, maybe replace PNW with Wooglebug? It is a powerful random source and has a master clock output. You can add a RCD if you're interested in more rhythmical patches too.

Sloth and Batumi might overlap. I don't own any of them, but I've seen the Batumi doing chaotic modulation, especially if self patched (). I might put Function from MakeNoise in the place of Sloth, since it can generate tiny to giant envelopes, cycle as an LFO, and be used as a sample and hold, everything CV controllable, of course.

The rest is taste, I guess! Take a look at the Noise Engineering oscillators, the wavetable one sounds cinematic. Don't forget VCAs, Multiples and Mixers. If you run out of space, you might consider buy an external reverb unit like https://www.strymon.net/bigsky/, since I personally never CV modulate anything dramatic on the reverb, and this is a small rack.

Soo... you're here, after all.
https://soundcloud.com/ox7music

My suggestion, even though it requires a bit of space, would be the 4ms Quad Clock Divider plus the QCD Expander. Lots of functionality...for pretty much anything you need to do math-wise with timing, it's perfect. Sort of a misnomer, also, as it does both division and multiplication of incoming pulses.

As for clock generation, in theory you can use BOTH as long as you keep the timing chains separate. Or, for more fun, you can use a Boolean logic module to set the timing gate pulses against each other at different rates and have the logic generate a totally new timing/rhythmic structure based on the logic state plus timing between clocks. EMW makes a very comprehensive logic module with lots of different gates, inverters, plus a pulse divider all in 14 hp. They actually have a pretty good (and inexpensive!) line of clock modifiers, including trig-to-gate converters that allow adjusting the clock pulse duty cycle, trig/gate delays for shifting pulse coincidence, etc.

Clocking doesn't get enough respect...there's actually loads of possibilities for creating elaborate rhythmic structures just by tinkering with basic timing. You could theoretically get just as busy working your timing modifiers as any other part, going nuts on creating cross- and polyrhythms.

Still lots missing there...you'll want a couple more VCOs to build up initial textures, definitely a couple of filters, and VCAs for both audio (exponential) and CV (linear, DC-coupled) amplitude control are totally necessary. Decent start, but there's quite a way to go...

I think what you want to find is a clock-divider module. It's the opposite of a clock multiplier, but much more common and usually cheaper. You'd run the 2x or 3x division into your sequencer, and then the 1x main clock into your faster sequencer. I love the clock-divider, it's the heart beat of my modular system, there are so many uses for one of these if you do anything with rhythm.

I have one of these, it doubles as both clock + divider, and has lots of switches to make it quite interactive.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-engineering-horologic-solum

There are ton of different options out there for this, so be sure to look around and see if some of the different versions fit your needs better. For example, if you already have a clock module, and want just a single channel divider/multiplier then you could get this one (which has a neat CV input):
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/2hp-div

But I still prefer the 4hp one I have because it is also my main clock, plus has 4 simultaneous outputs with 3 division modes and a reset.

I'm setting up my first semi modular system.

One sequencer is the main clock! How can I multiply it so my other sequencer will run at double or treble the tempo but still be locked to the main sequencer?

Do I need a eurorack module to do this?

My set up -

Arturia Minibrute 2S
Elektron Analogue 4 Mk2
Moog DFAM
Make Noise O-Coast

EDP Wasp
Roland Juno 6 (pre midi)
Would you choose the Arturia or the Elektron as main clock?

Hi all. Asking for to take a look at my starting setup plan. My aims here is to create ambient+generative also cinematic type of sound. Any opinions are welcome. Cheers!
https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_697128.jpg

The key to getting decent brass-type pad sounds is in generating cutting-sounding sawtooth waves, adding a tiny bit of mistuning if you want an ensemble sound, and then not really filtering this much if at all. Amplitude envelopes are pretty much like gates: fast on, fast off, sustain at the desired level. It's pretty simple stuff; my Crumar starts with square waves and then reshapes those for the sawtooth...which also means it's not a 'clean' saw, which actually helps a bit since the wave is a bit non-linear and has a bit of a 'buzz' to it that adds brightness. Your build above seems to be going in a wholly different direction, actually...you need to think simpler to get brass sounds.

There's quite a few controller recorders on MG, and Flame not only makes that one, but a fader recorder/sequencer that seems quite interesting. KOMA's Komplex sequencer also includes a knob recorder section that's quite comprehensive.

This is what I've got right now, I'm trying to build my own but I don't have a super solid frame of reference in spite of constantly looking at modules and playing with virtual ones. I want the top rack to be my brass and the bottom to be background atmospheric type stuff like a pad. Let me know if this will accomplish or any recommendations please!!!

alt text

Thread: ReBach GR11

Over the last month I went on a little run of buying modules, some high dollar and some low dollar, and made purchases from each of these users- @nrg242, @yufo, @Ian_C, @DSQUINTZ, @seank - and all of the transactions went smoothly and the modules were all as described and shipped quickly. As well- I tend to communicate back and forth a lot and ask questions, and these users were all receptive and helpful. I would gladly buy modules from any of them again. Thank you all for making my bank account smaller and my rack happier!
-s

Just a suggestion.. you could just buy a fairly cheap $100 PSU then you wouldn't have to dance around getting only modules with special power consumption specs. A PSU is small and cheap compared to even a 3HP module, so just get a PSU, it's hard to justify spending so much effort building a case without one!

hi !
anyone lnow where to still find any - or a similar module ?
looks awesomely simple :)

You do know that René requires a PSU with fixed ground (not floating) for its touch plates to work properly?
-- wiggler55550

Yes but I found one that works.
I have a skiff like above running without problems.

You do know that René requires a PSU with fixed ground (not floating) for its touch plates to work properly?

Of course, the easiest way around not having a 5V bus is something like a Doepfer A-100AD5, which also works solely from a 12V only supply. Only 100mA, but so few modules actually demand 5V (mainly digital-based ones) that the load amount isn't usually an issue.
-- Lugia

It's not about 5V. These Modules run even without the +12V, that most Modules require. These Modules only use one "half" of the 12V bus and do not need a special PSU like the rowpower or uZeus.

Yeah, Clicks and Clocks has been around for a while...good DIY people. As for why there's almost no DIY for the Intellijel tile format, it's because Intellijel is pretty much the only user of that rail spacing. Everyone else uses the original, which was around for years prior to Intellijel's developments. The rationale, supposedly, is that Intellijel is using a 'true' 1U spacing, whereas the original format is actually derived from the FracRac standard and isn't exactly a 'proper' Rack Unit. Ultimately, I think that's some sort of excuse for something else, but whatever. If you use the C&C 1U endplates, I would suggest getting the 3U ones there as well to make sure your plate thicknesses line up.

And yeah, the mid-point tile row would look awesome at an intermediate angle. In fact, you could do two 1U rows there...and make one Intellijel and one the 'standard' spacing. Tiles are brilliant for sneaking in loads of utility-type functions cheaply.

Oh Yikes! Thanks for that. I was planning on using the metal 4U and 3U endplates that Pulp Logic sells, but this changes everything. And maybe the 1U will look better at in intermediate angle... I could put the racks at 10,20 and 30°. I didn't really think of that.

Do you know of any 1U endplates that will fit the Intellijel 1U? Or do they just have some beef against DIY? I now realize that if I get 2x of normal 3U endplates, the 1U row will be need something the same thickness at each end or it won't fit snug..

EDIT: I found this rather obscure website that sells 1U mounting brackets for Intellijel format, so this could be it!
https://clicksclocks.de/

And improv dancing with Evelyn :)

Excellent business with @iridite. Purchased a DPO.
Fast shipping, good packaging. A+++ experience

It's July 2...you know what that means...

KICK ASS!!! June 2018.

...in which I have a look at the Eurorack deluge here on ModularGrid and sort out what looks the tastiest each prior month. Gonna be a shorter one, looks like, as the only major music trade event coming up is Summer NAMM, and that's called the 'guitar show' for a reason. Things should start to heat up again as we get closer to Knobcon in the Fall. So, let's hit it...

1) Recovery Effects Motormatic. Let's face it: sometimes you need out-and-out racket. Ring mods do that. So does bit crushing. So why not both? Well, $149 gets you this: a not-wholly-in-control clangorous crossmodulating mangler that doesn't seem at all capable of outputting 'nice' things. Instead, you get GRIT and SCREECH and all of those other oh-so-desirable Industrial-type noises and textures. If you like making music with a clear level of 'harm' to it, this module delivers. Check their website for a few examples...although, I'm sure that from those, most anyone here can extrapolate as to the abuse potential of this thing.

2) Happy Nerding 3x Stereo Mixer. This is so simple, it's stoopid! Three stereo ins, one stereo out. For summing down stereo effects, or stereo anything, that just got damn cheap ($100!) with this module's introduction. But the front panel doesn't tell the whole story, as this (and the PanMix Jr.) have backplane connections that allow a bunch of these to be stereo-bus-linked into a bigger mixer configuration. Smart! So you could take a few of these, a few of the PanMans, and whip up a bespoke performance mixer-type assemblage, or most any sort of special-purpose stereo configuration you need between those two modules.

3) Purrtronics Purrvrrb. Got a skiff and want a spring reverb? Not doable, really; where are you going to put the spring tank? So there's this, a digital spring emulator, full stereo, $130, solves that problem! Spring reverb, of course, is so nice with LPGs and the like to get that percussive 'splang' thing, ala the Buchla 100 series, just right. At 20mm depth, it'll fit any skiff, so now everyone can twannnng away without worrying about where the springs go or accidental spring-splats (if you don't like that sort of thing).

4) Takaab VC-EG. Done right, done cheaply! A CVable ADSR with LFO and Gate looping modes, plus the typical EG type operation, everything nicely controllable with input attenuators and all that good stuff. But Takaab tossed in a few extras, such as a 'Hard' mode that adds a very short top-of-envelope 'punch' stage when switched in, plus either linear or exponential modes, which means you can get a basic old linear VCA connected to this to respond either way with a switch-flip. A really intelligent ADSR design, and it deserves more than a cursory glance! $158, too...bang for the buck!

5) Ladik HAS BEEN BUSY!!! Last time out, I had a bunch of their toys to talk about, and here we are a month later with more surprises. First up are a pair of metered line input stages, the A-545 (stereo, $71-ish) and A-560 (mono, about $69) that are a nice change from the typical line-in modules, especially with multisegment LED metering to keep an eye on things, which is useful if you're inputting something that's level-critical. But wait...their M-17x mixer series ALSO now has input modules, the M-177, 178, and 179, each with different stereo configurations, and each costing a mere $86 or thereabouts. These are really neat...allowing you to, if you so choose, build a full-on stereo line mixer into your rig, allowing you to mix down EVERYTHING right there on the modular and with the modular! For those of you out there trying to get a higher level of gear integration between your modular and bunches of other boxes and bits, I think Ladik may have a solution for you.

6) Future Sound Systems FIL3 Spectral Devastator. I have to respect a module that has controls with erstwhile-irresponsible-usage indications, in this case two little switches marked 'Blast'. The FIL3 is the latest iteration of FSS's coupled dual-filter module. New surprises include a 'Colour' control in the resonance paths, attenuverters for negative modulation of the filter cutoffs, Drive and Output Level controls for more flexibility over levels and using the FIL3 in overdriven modes, and that pair of 'Blast' switches, which push each filter core into new levels of resonance, range, and drive. This thing, from the same people currently bringing us the sonic manglage that are the Gristleizer modules, promises lots and if the FIL2 and FSS's other efforts are indicative, it'll deliver. $230 or so.

7) LZX Escher Sketch. But wait...don't video modules run on a different voltage standard? Yeah, but there's converter step-down/up modules for audio level I/O, and this might be worth getting those extra for whatever use your fevered mind has planned! It's a stylus/touch pad, high-rez, 5.7” diagonal with X, Y and pressure modes, plus directional velocity sensing. And it has 'abuse potential' written all over it! This could have a lot of possible uses, especially in conjunction with a DC-coupled audio input interface so that it can 'talk' to a computer (for all sorts of things...think MAX here, folks) while at the same time doing its CV thang over the modular itself. Yeah, I'm talking recursory control here...and that's just ONE bad idea that comes to mind! I'm sure everyone can come up with more. $499-ish, which is a tad spendy but I think well-deserved for something of this sort.

8) Noise Reap Dub Delay. And in just under the wire is this: a nicely nasty little BBD-type delay for a stoopid-cheap $90. Supposedly clean up to about 300ms, past that point you get aliasing, muddy tone, lo-fi galore out to around 2000ms. Full CV control, too...time and feedback are both under CV here, and to avoid the feedback-loop overloads, Noise Reap even put a limiter circuit in the feedback path to clamp the level so the signals don't become super-hot, allowing you to jack the feedback into overload and still get a usable result. Very smart thinking there. But even neater...this device can do CV DELAY, as it's DC-coupled, so delaying (and mangling!) envelopes, LFO curves and so forth is right up this device's alley! Virtually anyone can make use of one of these for some nefarious purpose, and at only 8 hp it's an easy fit...plus, it's cheap!

And that's it this time around. Like I said, the crazy that precedes Knobcon should start before much longer, so stay tuned...the next few months look interesting!

So far, so good...just remember: the Intellijel tile format requires an odd sort of spacing between the row's rails. Using the endplates from Synthrotek, etc will give you the 'normal' spacing; I would suggest getting one of the longer Intellijel tiles (like the QuadrATT) first and using it as a template for that row to make sure you've got it nailed. I'm assuming that the tile row will be at an intermediate angle between those used for the upper and lower rows?

OK, after much thinking and wiggling knobs on what is currently assembled, 84HP is just going to be too small for my plans.

I have been doing a lot more planning. Does this look well-balanced?
ModularGrid Rack
I found 108HP Vector Rails are sold by Pulp Logic, and I think they are usable with Intellijel 1U modules. The 108 is also just wide enough to fit an extra intellijel 1U tile compared to 104HP.

The case I am thinking of building is going to go next to a Sub37, so I am trying to match the shape a little bit:
http://prntscr.com/k1t8n8
http://prntscr.com/k1t99h
sorry for the wonky links, I don't know how to show pictures here...
The bottom is at a 10° angle, and the back is at 25°.

These are the modules I have so far:
ModularGrid Rack

Basically the functions I am looking to get in the next 100HP are in order of need:
Attenuation, Touch Controller, Multimode Filter, 4X VCAs, Scope Utility, 4X LFOs, Logic, Rhythm and CV sequencing, Precision Adder, Utilities, Buffered Mult.

Of course, the easiest way around not having a 5V bus is something like a Doepfer A-100AD5, which also works solely from a 12V only supply. Only 100mA, but so few modules actually demand 5V (mainly digital-based ones) that the load amount isn't usually an issue.

It's really interesting how that came out...it shifts like weather changing, which I think Schoenberg really only pulled off once, in the "Farben" movement of the Five Orchestral Pieces. Webern sorta gets there as well, but with his work being more rapidly-shifting and pointillistic, "Euphony IV" is kinda like a Webern record pitched down to -80!

I bought a 2hp Tune from @js213 Quick shipping and well packed. Module was in excellent condition as expected.

I collected some Modules that will probably run with a standard 12V PSU.
Connection can be done via a flexbusboard.
(The Rack is 104 HP but does not display correctly here)
ModularGrid Rack

Thanks for the insight, guys! I guess I'll have to start cheating.

Lugia: Euphony IV sounds lovely.

I have a OmniMod that is not powring on . Does anyone Know How to contact them to send it in for repairs? jonsroom78@aol.com thanks

That's a brilliant little rig! I did a little more to it, assuming in the process that the cab is an Intellijel 4U x 104...
ModularGrid Rack
Damn near perfect, I think! Sequencer control under the left hand, Tetrapad under the right, generation down the middle where both hands can get at it easily. Tile row populated w/ Intellijel, which now gives you a clock, S&H, mixer/attenuator, stereo I/O, etc. And a couple of linear VCAs got tossed in for good measure. Nice!

Actually, 'cheating' on 12-tone is sort of 'canon'. Webern was the odd one of the original serialists in that he never did any fudging on rows/matrices, while both Berg and eventually Schoenberg himself were known to do so.

There's also another way to do this than the gridded-out matrix method, too. On "Euphony IV" (https://daccrowell.bandcamp.com/album/euphony-iv), I experimented with what I call a 'quantum matrix'. With this piece, there are several voices playing through individual tetrachords, two playing through hexachords, and a few more that were capable of playing all notes in the prime row, with all of the behavior being controlled through a generative system that still weighted the pitch classes equally, that being the key underlying criteria for the method. By doing this, in essence the generative process is accessing ALL points in a given matrix at once, but 'collapsing' the observation when the process sounds a note. The results were actually VERY satisfying; parts of it remind me in some ways of a 'switched-on' variant of the denser parts of Schoenberg's orchestral writing in "Moses und Aron".