So this is try 2 of giving my NiftyCase some more oomph.

I will be starting from left to right:

Pams: Love it. So many possibilities from simple clock stuff to LFO duties, basic step sequencing, Random CVs, and many more this module is nuts and I will probably still find new ways to utilize it on a daily basis.

Steppy: Don't have it yet. I ordered a Robaux LL8 but unfortunately, one of the buttons wasn't working (still had some fun trying it out). The Steppy seems like the more mature version of the LL8 and 4 outputs vs the 8 of the LL8 will be plenty enough for a rack this size I guess.

Zadar: I heard lots of talk about me needing envelopes so I included the Zadar as 4x premium envelope control. It seems to fit the needs. I didn't order it yet as I am still stuck on the basics but it should make sense here no?

Doepfer VCAs: So as a beginner I was a little bit sceptical about VCAs. Modulating modulations seemed a bit redundant to me. Now that I own these 2 dual VCAs things are clearing up for me. Really like playing around with them in all kind of ways. I went for the switchable ones as I couldn't really decide on the whole linear vs. exponential debate. So yeah I got both covered(suck it internet ppl who keep arguing about which is better :D). The question is: Are 4 enough? I mean clearly, I could see myself using more (like a lot more) but I still need some room for other stuff right?

Twiigs: Yeah I know you guys hated the idea of having a Twiigs in a rack that small and yeah I kinda start feeling the same way. A lot of the modules already have randomization options and it definitely is the least used module I own so far. So yeah it might get kicked out in the future (any recommendations on filling another 8hp?)

Plaits: Main voice - ordered - nuff said ... or maybe not?

Rings: Big fan - nice sound - will never leave this case

Digitalis: As Steppy covers the step sequencing side the Digitalis is here to give me control over the cv sequencing. I haven't ordered it yet but it's high up on my "Things to get" list.

Timiszoara: Yeah it is not out yet but a dual effect processor really seems to check a lot of boxes for a dual voiced mini rack. Arguably could be exchanged with other effect or filter modules.

Doepfer Headphone amp: 2 ins and finally something I can plugin my headphone to not always have to use an external headphone amp - Yeah totally fits my bill for the last 6hp of this case (not bought yet)

Oh yeah and for multiples, I use some Black Market Monomults so far. I don't really feel like "wasting" rack space for that even though a buffered mult could come in handy maybe (idk never had one never missed it I guess)

My main focus is to create an enjoyable musical experience that works standalone.
So what are we thinking? Any recommendations? Any arguments to cut certain modules?

As always thank you for your suggestions.

The Digitalis is nice. But think about the sequencer section of a micro Ornaments & Crime. It's 8HP and will give you four channels of sequencing... plus a BOAT LOAD of other options... like quantizing, LFOs, etc. The savings is 2HP in space. It will play nicely with the Pam's New Workout.

I would find something else besides the Timiszoara. There are even smaller multi-effects modules out there that are slimmer. The Expert Sleepers Disting EX is 8 HP and will do a LOT more than just effects and it's a DUAL UNIT also. That will save you another 2HP

Twiigs is fine. It's 8HP. But if you go with the original Mutable Instruments Branches, it's 6HP. Hey, another savings of 2HP.

The Doepfer A-139-2 is 6HP. It's ONLY a headphone amp. Noise Engineering's Sono Abitus is 4HP and comes with BALANCED 1/4" outputs PLUS a headphone amp. You save another 2HP

If you take those four suggestions, you now have 8HP of space available.

With that 8HP you might consider an audio mixer module or replacing Sono Abitus with a mixer with headphones out. A small filter would be nice in addition to the mixer and some utilities (attenuverter, noise, etc.)

The Digitalis is nice. But think about the sequencer section of a micro Ornaments & Crime. It's 8HP and will give you four channels of sequencing... plus a BOAT LOAD of other options... like quantizing, LFOs, etc. The savings is 2HP in space. It will play nicely with the Pam's New Workout.

I would find something else besides the Timiszoara. There are even smaller multi-effects modules out there that are slimmer. The Expert Sleepers Disting EX is 8 HP and will do a LOT more than just effects and it's a DUAL UNIT also. That will save you another 2HP

Twiigs is fine. But if you go with the original Mutable Instruments Branches, it's 8HP. Hey, another savings of 2HP.

The Doepfer A-139-2 is 6HP. It's ONLY a headphone amp. Noise Engineering's Sono Abitus is 4HP and comes with BALANCED 1/4" outputs PLUS a headphone amp. You save another 2HP

With that 8HP you might consider an audio mixer module or replacing Sono Abitus with a mixer with headphones out. A small filter would be nice in addition to the mixer and some utilities (attenuverter, noise, etc.)

-- Ronin1973

actually it's 10hp - branches is 6hp

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Twiigs is fine. But if you go with the original Mutable Instruments Branches, it's 8HP. Hey, another savings of 2HP.

-- Ronin1973

actually it's 10hp - branches is 6hp

-- JimHowell1970

Twiigs is listed as 8HP. Mutable's Branches is 6HP. Where are you seeing Twiigs as 10HP?

no the free space is 10hp not 8,the previous post stated that branches was 8hp not 6

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Both Ornament and Crime as well as the Disting are kinda scary for me. I feel like it's easy to get lost in those while scrolling through tons of different functions. As much as I love my Pams the scrolling and setting up feels tedious at times. The Disting might be something I am willing to look into but for the sequencer, I really like the "simplicity" modules like the Digitalis have to offer (Every button to alter the sequence is right there/ simple led illustration). At first, I was even looking at something like a bunch of XAOC Tirana's (I really like the aesthetic of XAOC modules) but 6TE per 4 steps single sequence is rough when space is an issue.

Regarding the Sono Abitus, I am not quite sure if I understand what it has to offer. From my understanding, it is just a bunch of outputs, right? I mean everything the rack produces is mono anyway so every output on the Abitus is giving me the same signal. So it is like 5 outputs with one having an extra volume Knob?

Both Ornament and Crime as well as the Disting are kinda scary for me. I feel like it's easy to get lost in those while scrolling through tons of different functions. As much as I love my Pams the scrolling and setting up feels tedious at times. The Disting might be something I am willing to look into but for the sequencer, I really like the "simplicity" modules like the Digitalis have to offer (Every button to alter the sequence is right there/ simple led illustration). At first, I was even looking at something like a bunch of XAOC Tirana's (I really like the aesthetic of XAOC modules) but 6TE per 4 steps single sequence is rough when space is an issue.

Regarding the Sono Abitus, I am not quite sure if I understand what it has to offer. From my understanding, it is just a bunch of outputs, right? I mean everything the rack produces is mono anyway so every output on the Abitus is giving me the same signal. So it is like 5 outputs with one having an extra volume Knob?
-- 9xpad

I'll start from the last comment. Rack space (measured in HP) is critical, especially when you're trying to put together a skiff (small case like the Nifty). So saving 2HP is going to be worthwhile. Plus the Sono Abitus has more features than the Doepfer. A simple headphone out is nice. But the Sono anso has line-outputs. Synth level is a lot hotter than line-level. So if you try to record the outputs of your Eurorack to your DAW or something else, you might run into level issues. So, no you're not getting just an extra volume knob.

As far as menu diving, the O&C isn't too bad (I own one). I also own the Digitalis. It's fun. But it's not very exacting. The sequencer in O&C offers pitch CV tied to gate. The gate can even be a full ADSR envelope. You trade the immediacy of the Digitalis for the versatility of O&C. When you're in a skiff... well... them's the ropes.

Oh... and there's a guy on Youtube that's the master of real-time Eurorack skiff-ing, Ricky Tinez. He uses a Digitalis in his rig and a Steppy. It works for him. But everyone is different.
https://www.youtube.com/c/RickyTinez/featured