Hi fam,

I've designed my first simple rack (non generative) and I'm asking for opinions on anything I'm missing in terms of signal chain. I've set up something similar in VCV so I'm fairly certain I have everything I need to start off with.

I have a keystep pro arriving soon and I want to patch the outputs of the Erica directly into my Motu 8pre ES and then into my DAW. I'm mainly interested in taking source signals and running it into interesting filters and then into distortion/wavefolders etc. I'll use EQ, FX, comp/lim in the box. The main thing I want to check based on my research is that as the outputs on the Erica are balanced, all I need is just a 6.3 to 1/4 TRS cable for my audio outs?

Cheers
The Sound Gardxn
https://www.thesoundgardxn.com

ModularGrid Rack

I wouldn't do that. While you definitely get two balanced outs from that Erica mixer, if you're sending to that interface directly, you're far better off going 1/4" TRS - XLR-M. That ensures that your signals stay in a balanced circuit from the modular to the 8pre, which should help with noise and maintaining the same level at the 8pre's inputs.

Good interface choice, also...it's a snap to go from 8 channels to 24 via the ADAT lightpipe connections. Just make sure your lightpipe-connected interfaces are ALSO DC-coupled.

I wouldn't do that. While you definitely get two balanced outs from that Erica mixer, if you're sending to that interface directly, you're far better off going 1/4" TRS - XLR-M. That ensures that your signals stay in a balanced circuit from the modular to the 8pre, which should help with noise and maintaining the same level at the 8pre's inputs.

Good interface choice, also...it's a snap to go from 8 channels to 24 via the ADAT lightpipe connections. Just make sure your lightpipe-connected interfaces are ALSO DC-coupled.
-- Lugia

Thanks for the advice. The Motu choice was a happy accident, used them in the past, and recently bought the 8pre-es before looking at getting into modular, so lucked out with the whole DC thing :)

Cheers
TSG

Thanks for the advice. The Motu choice was a happy accident, used them in the past, and recently bought the 8pre-es before looking at getting into modular, so lucked out with the whole DC thing :)

-- TheSoundGardxn

Another nice thing about those older MOTU interfaces is that most pro audio types these days consider them to be "obsolete", so they turn up for cheap. That makes it relatively easy and definitely inexpensive to slap new I/O in in banks of 8 via either another interface or the ADAT lightpipe. Plus, add an outboard patchbay to the mix, route your I/O through that, and then it becomes a snap to change your CV/gate/trig routings. All you need are 1/4" to whatever's needed for the synth's format cables, and you're set.

-- TheSoundGardxn

Another nice thing about those older MOTU interfaces is that most pro audio types these days consider them to be "obsolete", so they turn up for cheap. That makes it relatively easy and definitely inexpensive to slap new I/O in in banks of 8 via either another interface or the ADAT lightpipe. Plus, add an outboard patchbay to the mix, route your I/O through that, and then it becomes a snap to change your CV/gate/trig routings. All you need are 1/4" to whatever's needed for the synth's format cables, and you're set.

-- Lugia

I kept my very old Motu 828 MKII (no drivers anymore) and now I'm glad I did, as yes I was aware I can daisy chain both of them together via ADAT to increase my system by another 8 in/outs. Long way off that but I did have 'future proofing' in mind when deciding on the 8pre-es.

MOTU drivers? Yeah, they're out there...check here: https://motu.com/download and you'll see the 8pre under "Audio". Win10 drivers, even!

What I like about them is that, by putting these "obsolete" interfaces back to work, we're working to keep e-waste out of landfills. You'd be shocked at what major studios toss out sometimes; nothing is as satisfying as pulling a few Altec/WE "birdcages" out of a Music Row dumpster!

MOTU drivers? Yeah, they're out there...check here: https://motu.com/download and you'll see the 8pre under "Audio". Win10 drivers, even!

What I like about them is that, by putting these "obsolete" interfaces back to work, we're working to keep e-waste out of landfills. You'd be shocked at what major studios toss out sometimes; nothing is as satisfying as pulling a few Altec/WE "birdcages" out of a Music Row dumpster!
-- Lugia

Yeah I know, but they stopped supporting/providing drivers for 828mk2 FW back in 2017 up to OSX 10.13 and I'm running 10.15 Catalina, it's all good, don't need the drivers, just use it as another set of in/outs :)

I never realised you could go dumpster diving for old studio gear, awesome haha

Normally, no. But when you grow up in/around the music industry in Nashville, you eventually learn that dumpsters in that alley between 16th and 17th Av. S. on Music Row tend to wind up with some interesting "garbage".