Finishing my case (palette 62) and am stuck between going with the qubit surface and the wmd javelin or the alm pop slope and MI plaits. All other modules I already own. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1686596.jpg

actual link - not jpg

ModularGrid Rack

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

BTW the correct answer as always is get a bigger case and get both options!!!!

and of course more utilities!!!! the really important modules!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I'd ditch scales and go with a Ornament & Crime, which will function as a quad quantizer, which pairs up nicely with the Mimetic. Of course it has other features you may like in addition. This Palette feels like you've been watching a lot of Ricky Tinez. Yes?

I've watched exactly 1 Ricky Tinez youtube video - the one where he openly admits to having a proper rack too - not just beauty cases - he makes an excellent point that beauty cases are great for focusing on specific modules to demo them, but that he changes it up a lot - and they also fit in his handbag!

I'll echo Jim here: Bigger case, more utilities! You see a buttload of these microbuilds on YouTube, and either they're done by someone who thinks they know what they're doing BUT DON'T...or they're done by companies that want to sell you these silly-ass mini cases (coughcoughPerfectCircuitcough). Yes, they work GREAT if you need to add a few specific modules to an existing rig, but beyond that...nope. To his credit, Ricky Tinez is one of the very few synth-Tubers who HAVE said that these are "mission-specific" when you're (usually) building in a small cab like a Palette 62. The rest just seem to slap these things up with no comprehension that beginner modular synthesists need SPACE and need a WIDE selection of possibilities to explore, not merely some bespoke micro-box that's really set up for only a handful of uses.

this user has left ModularGrid

I definite recommend a larger case and more utilities over a bunch of larger sexy voice modules.
Get the largest case possible and with handles for easy transport. I’m loving my Doepfer monster case as
I won’t run out of room for a long time. MDLR makes really good 14U cases with option for a row of 1u modules.

Utilities are super important. I’m using WMD SSF Toolbox, Mutable Instruments Kinks and Links and tons of modulation now with complex patches. Good attenuators and VCA key as well. I only use one or two voice modules lately with great results. I started with a 6U case that I quickly outgrew. Now with a portable 14u case, I have room for lots of support modules, utilities, as well as the fancy voice modules.

Thanks for the reply’s! I really appreciate it and agree fully! I also have two happy ending cases and a dfam and mother combo. This is def a focused live oriented case to jam bass lines and weird sequences over my digitakt and with my ableton live live set as well as general sound design to sample in my productions. Sometimes it’s nice to try and contain the endless possibilities that is modular. As far as the ornament and crimes, good call been thinking about one for awhile may indeed pull the trigger on that one :). And yea I’ve seen rickys stuff and am a fan but I’m also a fan of noise engineering and already had the modules :) Thanks again for the advice!