What would be the limit to using say a clock output from a device using stackcables for clocking multiple devices? Is there some calculation of signal degradation to use or a general statement that you shouldn't go more than three?

JB

I'd be surprised if you'd have issues until way more than three connections although it may depend a lot on the modules and the initial voltage - voltage droop is not that significant - and trigger inputs are usually triggered by any signal over a certain voltage... sometimes this quite low, sometimes it is quite high - so ordering of the stackcable chain may have an impact

don't stack more than 2 though chain them - less stress on the sockets

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'd be surprised if you'd have issues until way more than three connections although it may depend a lot on the modules and the initial voltage - voltage droop is not that significant - and trigger inputs are usually triggered by any signal over a certain voltage... sometimes this quite low, sometimes it is quite high - so ordering of the stackcable chain may have an impact

don't stack more than 2 though chain them - less stress on the sockets
-- JimHowell1970

So when you say 'chain' them, do you mean chain the input that is clocking a module and stack that input to the input of another module? Right now I have one cable stacked to the output from my clock out on my Hydrasynth...one goes to Maths and one goes to my Ornament and Crime currently...I could stack from the input on my Maths and go to say input on Quadrax?

JB

yeah - say you have one cable plugged into the output of your hydrasynth going to say maths and then another one plugged into the stackcable on the hydrasynth and then stacked into O&C and then another plugged into the stackcable on the hydrasynth and going to say a clock divider - this is a star network - don't do this

go hydrasynth to Maths to O&C to clock divider to XYZ module - this is a chain - less strain on the modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

Jim, I'm presuming that the stackcable stuff would be the right way to go if you built up a Euro Buchla 200. If Tiptop's making them to Don's original spec, the outputs should be good for star networking. Since Don was more than familiar with test equipment's musical uses, he tended to use reverse voltage protection, so "starring out" something probably won't have the same results with those modules as it would with the majority of others.

Yeah Lugia I think they're pretty much identical although not bananas... most advice I've seen for them though is to only stack 2 high - a chain works just as well as a star, but less mechanical strain on the sockets and on the stackcables... I don't think it hurts to stack 3, but I wouldn't want to go further...

Thanks guys, the chain seems to work great...I stack two from Hydrasynth clock out (one to Maths, one to O_C). Stack the one plugged into Maths to go to Quadrax, and stack the one in Quadrax to go to Disting EX and everything is in sync. I'm sure there are tons of other/better uses for stacking but thats what I've used if for so far

JB

great - have fun!!!

It depends upon a number of factors. The two with the most influence upon signal integrity would be the input impedances of the connected inputs and if the receiving devices use a comparator on the input and where that threshold is.

So, no, there is no universal formula. You'd need to know all of the variables. However, you can just patch 'em and use a buffered mult if needed.

Before you fill a module full of stacked cables, think about how much torque you'd apply if you accidentally bumped that stack with your elbow. I'm thinking of getting some short male to female cables to lesson the worry. I tend to limit my stacks to just one piggy back. Stackables have taps at both ends, so you can split at the output and the input. Anything more than that, I reach for a proper passive splitter (Intellijel makes nice ones with magnetic backs). I'll only split gates and triggers. Anything that's going to note pitch, I put through an active mult.