Oh right! That's a good point... hmm... looks like we all have to buy some of that Buchla stuff, then we all go far down the Buchla Hole and perhaps we meet again in deep space

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

It'll be somewhere spacy, that's for damn sure!

I know for a fact that there's a PILE of the old-skool Detroiters that are outright salivating over the new "t" series. But then, that makes perfect sense when you realize that one of the tracks that early DJs in tha D were mixing was the rhythmic part of Part 2 from "Silver Apples of the Moon". Works like a charm!

... and I certainly plan to get lost in that buchla fog! I was in the middle of trying to make a drum machine out of my neutron with some random gates coming from the rampage comparator when the modules arrived. So nice to realize I didn't have to undo the rampage and use it for envelopes because I now have 4 buchla function generators to work with. I look forward to chaining/modulating the function generators together since I now have so many. The dual oscillator also offers many possibilities, fm/double fm, waveshape modulation etc. It has got to be one of the best value for money oscillators out there right now!? Still not exactly sure what the processing input and cv does? I get the inversion part but not the rest. When in doubt, use it and cv it and see what happens.

It'll be somewhere spacy, that's for damn sure!
-- Lugia

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

When in doubt, use it and cv it and see what happens.
-- FatBerg

That's the spirit!

"Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal."

i'm talking canadian funds, the rampage is $436 plus taxes (incredibly high in quebec, comes to $501 cdn total!) at the local store and maths has dropped to $376 plus taxes. and the U.S. to Cdn funds conversion is awful for us, $200 U.S. today is $256 cdn! but i hope you're right, i just can't see how they can manage it at their prices. i'd have to think that would be the deal of the decade if the quality is there.
-- FatBerg
As an FYI based on your previous post, I often buy modules built by European manufacturers from either Schneidersladen or Thomann and get them shipped to Canada. You will not be charged their VAT and both ship for a reasonable price via UPS (arriving within a couple of days). The Befaco Rampage, for example, currently sells on Thomann for about $374 CAD. Canadian Customs will only collect the federal portion (5%) of the HST and not the provincial portion (8% in Ontario, not sure what it is in Quebec). Eurorack modules manufactured in the EU can be imported duty free. UPS will call you regarding customs clearance and you can authorize them to clear the package on your behalf. The fee for this will be more than offset by not having to pay the provincial portion of sales tax. Customer service is awesome for both. I can’t argue buying from Nightlife as their service is great and I’ve bought from them many times. Cheers.

Oh, I can see some of why Tiptop's Buchla prices are so cheap: for example, none of these have Don's "E-bus" behind the panel. Also, take into account that passive (and some active) components used here are cheaper than they'd been in the 1970s when the original 200 came out. And it wouldn't surprise me if Tiptop had their own board fab, given that they can reliably supply BIG concerns, such as Sweetwater. And the really cool part: no separate control and audio paths...everything conforms to Eurorack's patching standards, which definitely simplifies the design of these while their primary circuits STILL have that tasty Buchla flavor.

"Maths will cost you $290 new, Rampage $330. TipTop's prices tend to be lower, and while things can happen with the current shortages and supply-chain issues, I wouldn't doubt their sincerity in trying to achieve that goal."

i'm talking canadian funds, the rampage is $436 plus taxes (incredibly high in quebec, comes to $501 cdn total!) at the local store and maths has dropped to $376 plus taxes. and the U.S. to Cdn funds conversion is awful for us, $200 U.S. today is $256 cdn! but i hope you're right, i just can't see how they can manage it at their prices. i'd have to think that would be the deal of the decade if the quality is there.
-- FatBerg
As an FYI based on your previous post, I often buy modules built by European manufacturers from either Schneidersladen or Thomann and get them shipped to Canada. You will not be charged their VAT and both ship for a reasonable price via UPS (arriving within a couple of days). The Befaco Rampage, for example, currently sells on Thomann for about $374 CAD. Canadian Customs will only collect the federal portion (5%) of the HST and not the provincial portion (8% in Ontario, not sure what it is in Quebec). Eurorack modules manufactured in the EU can be imported duty free. UPS will call you regarding customs clearance and you can authorize them to clear the package on your behalf. The fee for this will be more than offset by not having to pay the provincial portion of sales tax. Customer service is awesome for both. I can’t argue buying from Nightlife as their service is great and I’ve bought from them many times. Cheers.
-- bopodoq

thanks for the tip! just got something from elevatorsound.eu and it wound up being quite expensive. 25 euro shipping and i believe a $40 cdn fee from DHL for taxes and customs clearance. the addac 103 finally costed me $230. my local shop, which didn't have it in stock (or nightlife) were charging $142 cdn, no tax, no shipping.

this user has left ModularGrid

Well I have kept to my no gear 2022 pledge on Elektronauts and focus on learning what I have now. I will wait for video demos and good reviews of the new Buchla Tiptop modules once they are out and have been reviewed heavily.

Hi Sacguy71,

2022 is like every year, it got 12 months. Each month has on average about 30 days, each day has 24 hours, each hour has 60 minutes and each minute has 60 seconds. How the $&^#&@ are you going the entire 2022 not to buy any cool synthesizer or modules? ;-)

Just kidding but I admire your spirit, perhaps I should do that as well. Not one year, I would never withstand that, rather one month or so ;-) Have fun with your existing nice and great equipment and kind regards, Garfield.

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks Garfield,

I did it for two reasons. One is home repairs are my priority and I just spend 7k on new windows and need to install new fencing. That blows my gear budget for the next couple of years. Second, I need to slow down and focus on mastering what I have. I bought a ton of modular gear in the past few years and just scratching the surface. No biggie- I am thankful to have such wonderful modules! I love patching then coming back later to see if I can rise to a new challenge without changing a patch but tweaking something like a parameter or setting on the sequencer for example.

I need to slow down and focus on mastering what I have.
-- sacguy71

Yeah fair enough, I have to do that too