I would love a dial up if i ever find one. Anyone have any good suggestions? A choke would be a big plus. Thanks.

WMD Crucible is pretty awesome. I haven't found a better realistic source of cymbals.

@farkas I agree that Crucible sounds wonderful, but I haven't been able to get any "hats" sounds out of it, just ride. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I don't have a really dedicated module yet: neither for HH nor for Kick. It's a will since the beginning. I use drum machines. But I might change my mind. When you look at Richard Devine current live setup, you can see a 2hp Hat and a 2hp Kick. I'm heading towards this solution. Why not...

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Another one for the mix is 'Patching Panda Hatz' it has the all-important Choke so the CH will close-off out the OH, it also has accents so you can run an accent pattern behind your main Hat patterns and make your hats more interesting.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

@farkas I agree that Crucible sounds wonderful, but I haven't been able to get any "hats" sounds out of it, just ride. Is there a trick I'm missing?
-- troux

It had been a while since I messed around with any drum sounds, so I patched up Crucible this morning. It definitely excels at ride/crash type stuff, but I got a decent hi hat groove going with size, decay, excite, and deform all set around 9 o’clock with pitch and tone set around 12 o’clock. Triggers into the edge and choke inputs. Attenuated lfos into size and decay, and a channel of Voltage Block into velocity in a sort of ascending sawtooth-ish kind of pattern. I also find that I like to filter the output of Crucible a little. I was just using Ripples today, but I’m sure you could get some cool results with other filters/effects.
This little experiment made me want to make some techno again. Haha.

Edit: I love the Patching Panda Punch v3 for percussive sounds, so I'm sure their Hatz v2 is awesome for analog drum machine style hi-hats. I have a few other sources for that kind of sound, otherwise I would probably get one.

this user has left ModularGrid

I like Hexinverter Mutant Drums Hi Hat module quite a bit. Also have WMD Crucible that is fun for weird stuff.

To illustrate my previous comment and answering a bit more precisely the topic, ladies and gentlemen... the amazing, the magnificient (and fairly low cost) 2hp Hat!
:))

I like to use every kind of noise (white, pink etc.) a good filter and a snapy envelope and a VCA or better a Combination of Envelope and VCA like the Befaco Percal or Schlappi Enginering - Boundary .

I use Hats D for 909 ish hats. Mosaic 1U hi hat is really nice and sits somewhere between 808, cr78. PP hatz v3 are indeed nice for white noise style hats with control over “metallic” sound.

For samples Pico Drums has 2 sample triggers and 1 can choke the other if you have the switch set to do so. You can also CV the built in envelope and get even more mileage. I would take Pico Drums over 2hp hats. I use 2 of them in fact.

I like to use every kind of noise (white, pink etc.) a good filter and a snapy envelope and a VCA or better a Combination of Envelope and VCA like the Befaco Percal or Schlappi Enginering - Boundary .

-- Next_G

Yes, and thank you for this comment!
This is really an alternative: start with a noise, shape it with an envelope, use a filter, a vca, some random, a delay, etc. Everyone has his own modules, his own recipes, and you end up with something that is personal and that suits the track perfectly.

It is for this pleasure that we buy modules that have a cost... and that we have even sometimes turned away from ready made sound banks and computers.

The price of a module (let's say from 100 to 1000 euros) is also the price of the pleasure of freedom and of working as a sound craftsman.

The sweetest analog hi-hat sound imo comes from a DFAM, but since I use my DFAM more and more for lead and bass sounds, there is a Patching Panda Hatz2 module in my rack. Can achieve very nice open and closed hat timbres, choking and accents. Available as a ready built module or DIY kit. Just recently I ordered a kit by Skull & Circuits named Metall-o-tron II to pass the time in any upcoming lockdown. Haven't built it yet, but am looking forward to it :)
In terms of HP economics the 2hp Hat can't be beat obviously, but I like to keep it all analog.

This is really an alternative: start with a noise, shape it with an envelope, use a filter, a vca, some random, a delay, etc. Everyone has his own modules, his own recipes, and you end up with something that is personal and that suits the track perfectly.

It is for this pleasure that we buy modules that have a cost... and that we have even sometimes turned away from ready made sound banks and computers.

The price of a module (let's say from 100 to 1000 euros) is also the price of the pleasure of freedom and of working as a sound craftsman.

-- Sweelinck

I couldn't have said it more beautifully ...

I make some cool hi hats from Erbeverb modulated by Maths as well as with Black Code Source for creative way to do so without dedicated percussion modules.

This very nice series appears for DSI Tempest in 2012: https://stimresp.wordpress.com/2012/02/19/tempest-recipes-first-things-first/

If you follow that thread you'll find a bunch of first principles and ur-patches for perc synthesis. It is one I should revisit too. A key takeaway: you can make perc out of lots of things.

Found this old thread after Hexinverter emailed their list to announce upcoming closure. In sadness and greed I went and bought a bunch of Mutant drums.