Hi all,

This is my first post here. I'm coming from an all hardware synth background so my modular journey is just beginning now. I have just received my first case and one drum module. The case I chose to start with was the TTA Mantis and the drum module a "Jomox Mod Base 09 MKII" which was a straight replacement for the "MBass1_1" I just sold recently. I decided to stay with the Jomox sound as I have done for years and know what I'm getting with regards to bass drums.

So my question is this.

I only have the 1 drum module for now as these are pretty expensive in euro rack format however I do have a newly delivered Behringer RD-9 drum machine which I like a lot. What I'm wanting to do tho is take all 10 outs from the 1/4" jacks and somehow feed them directly in to my case so that I could process them, mangle them within the euro rack modules I intend to invest in then back out again either as a stereo mix or multi track.
Is there such a pre amp module/audio input module with lots of inputs that will allow me to do this? If so what would you recommend? I could do with some general advice on this subject if there's anyone out there who knows about this stuff.
As I said I'm just starting out after 30+ years of hardware synths so any advice on this would be most welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Welcome!

Instead of using 10 preamps(!), you could look at the Mutable Instruments Veils. A VCA, but for sure you can pump line level to modular level with it. Maybe Intellijel's Quad VCA can do the same.

Maybe you want to go a different route with your modular within a few months. Then a VCA is for sure good to have. I doubt if 10 preamps are ;)

But if you want 10 preamps, you can get three of these:
http://ladik.ladik.eu/?page_id=1143

NW2SIO BALANCED module:
(May be currently sold out, have a look here under ‘External’ modules. NW2S does have a website.)
8 inputs and 8 outputs each to a separate Db25 connector. You could get an 8 x 1/4” to Db25 snake to connect them. Attenuation +/- 6 dB is done within the module. The module and snake are a bit of an expense but then you are able to combine what you already have and keep using it with your new eurorack setup. The 8 outs could also be routed to an audio interface onto separate tracks in your DAW.

Further to my previous post, you may want unbalanced version.
I believe they have stock.
https://nw2s.net/
Having said that, I just noticed someone suggesting MI Veils which I think is a great (honestly better) idea. It can boost line level signals, can mix to a single output if desired, and it much more flexible.

Thanks for the replies @MO1C and @bopodoq it's much appreciated here. It's so confusing coming from an all hardware background hence my questions.
I didn't really want to use a DAW at all. Only for maybe recording the stereo outs of whatever comes out the case. I was more thinking for when I play live with 1 case and 1 drum machine out on the road.

My plan was to use the drum machine either by:

• Using the fx, filter modules in the case to process individual drum sounds coming in from the hardware so BD, SD, TOMS etc sent anywhere in the euro rack, processed and/or sequenced then back out again.
  • Or using a sequencer such as Eloquencer or Circadian Rythms to trigger sounds and NOT use the external drum machines sequencer

Basically I'd like to use the external hardware for both the above depending on the situation.

Thanks
Rob

1 x Ladik A-520
1 x MI Veils
1 x HN 2XSAM (http://www.happynerding.com/category/2xsam/)

If you want to use the Mantis live, consider a decksaver and a (2nd gen) bag.

Please keep in mind that some Ladik and Doepfer modules won't fit in the Mantis. The A-520 should not be a problem.

1 x Ladik A-520
1 x MI Veils
1 x HN 2XSAM (http://www.happynerding.com/category/2xsam/)

If you want to use the Mantis live, consider a decksaver and a (2nd gen) bag.

Please keep in mind that some Ladik and Doepfer modules won't fit in the Mantis. The A-520 should not be a problem.
-- M01C

Hi there,

Yeah I already bought the Mantis decksaver along with the case last week so I'm ok there but I will be buying the bag too shortly once I have some actual modules. So far I only have the dedicated bass drum "Jomox Mod Bass 09 MK2" and a Behringer Brains module (so cheap but sounds fab)
I may end up going with euro rack drum modules once I know what I'm doing but for now I really would like to use my drum machines as it's fast hands on workflow is what I'm used to.

I'll check out those modules you mentions mate thanks again.

Rob

Well, with those two modules, you will have an arm and a leg of a drummer. So that is allready a half drummer :)

Well, with those two modules, you will have an arm and a leg of a drummer. So that is allready a half drummer :)
-- M01C

Hehe, well Iv'e used Jomox drum machines and modules for years so I know the sound I'm getting with them. The decision to grab the modular version was easy there. It's a big 20hp module but well worth the investment IMO.
Along with the Mantis case I also bought the brackets in case I ever expand in future. Might mean the decksaver might not fit then but that's ok.

I'm just shopping for a good sequencer now but I wouldn't rule out 2 or 3 in future for different tasks. I'm just using an AKAI MPCX for now till I decide what sequencer modules to buy for the case.

Rob

-- M01C

Just an update:

I managed to get sorted bring the individual audio outs of my drum machine in to my case by using x2 Erica Synths Links

http://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-link

It's meant to take a Modular level 3.5mm connection DOWN to Line level 1/4" Jack but.... it also takes a 1/4" Line level and bumps it up to Modular level with a 3.5mm output. In other words it works in both directions so two of them give me 8 channels in and out.

£49.99 each at Signal Sounds, perfect for getting my external gear in to the case.