I recently acquired an ALM MFX, which I'm sure I would have been very happy with, but I got unlucky and my module is faulty and I have to send it back. Unfortunately, the retailer is now out of stock and it's out of stock ~everywhere. I have not had much luck pre-ordering modules: I've been waiting for months on several things and probably have to wait many more months, if ever (I'm looking at you, Intellijel Quadrax).

Anyway, I think I'll want to get a multi effects module in the near term, so instead of waiting for another batch of ALM MFXs, I was considering the following:

• Expert Sleepers Disting EX (I have a regular Disting but I need more flexibility if it's going to be my main multi-FX + misc. utility module)
  • Endorphin.es Milky Way
  • Happy Nerding FX Aid XL
  • Eric Synths Pico DSP
  • Tiptop Audio Z5000

Things I am looking for:

• Stereo output. Mono -> stereo FX programs are probably a must. The option for stereo -> stereo is a big plus.
  • At least some good delay, reverb, and distortion options. Other stuff like phasers, chorus, bit crushers, are all great too, but I can live without some of these things.
  • Flexible CV control. The Pico DSP probably won't cut it, but the smaller size might make up for it to free up some room for another 3HP module (the Nin expander for my Xaoc Zadar).
  • Ideally 6 HP or less. The Disting EX is ok at 8HP because I'll replace my regular Disting in this rack. The Tiptop Z5000 probably isn't going to work unless I decide it's worth removing another module.
  • I don't want to be overwhelmed with too many options or the need to re-flash the module a lot, so I am hesitant about the FX Aid, but maybe it's a wonderful module and I should be open-minded about it. (I was worried I'd find the Disting too difficult to use, but it's been fine for me.)

Does anyone have experience with these modules and can offer some thoughts on how they compare or make a recommendation on one you love? I'm open to other options too.

Sorry to hear about your ALM trouble. That’s a bummer.
I have the Milky Way and FX Aid XL. I like the reverbs and ping pong delay on the Milky Way but don’t use it often for any of the other effects. The FX Aid algorithms are really good and I think I flashed it two or three different times to find a combination of effects that I’m sticking with. I’ve found it to be much better for effects that can transform a patch into something completely different, while the Milky Way is ok for more “bread and butter” end of chain reverbs and delays.
If I had to recommend one, I would say go for the FX Aid XL.
Have fun and good luck!
*edit: I sold my Disting. Just really didn’t enjoy using it. Tweaking it to get the sound I wanted was less than ideal.

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks @farkas! The FX Aid XL was a top contender. I almost got it instead of an MFX. Unfortunately it now looks like it is also sold out everywhere. A place I usually buy from had it a week or two ago :(

I found one retailer in England selling it but it looks like they won't ship to me in the US. Sigh... the module availability situation is getting extremely frustrating. I'll keep looking. Or maybe I'll go with one of the other options, or reconsider if I even need multi effects right now.

Did you upgrade the firmware on the MFX to VER 102?
https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm032/

Yes I was on the latest version. I was in contact with both the manufacturer and the retailer and everyone agreed the module seemed faulty and should be returned to the retailer.

he was trying to get out of Ukraine

Oh Happy Nerding is in Ukraine? Yikes... Well I hope they can get out, or at least stay safe.

I might just opt for a Pico DSP since I actually already have a Nin (also 3HP) but ran out of space due to another change of plans (because of Mutable Instruments ramping down production and me having a bit of a freak out and buying things I planned to get after a second case). Plus, the Pico is relatively inexpensive, and I can actually buy one! So it's got that going for it.

I'll probably still try to get the FX AID XL and/or another MFX, and worst case I own "too many" modules. I'm going to expand into a second case at some point, and it's not a big deal to switch around the rack and swap modules once in a while. Or sell some.

It is becoming difficult to tell if I am succumbing to eurocrack/GAS or if I'm being smart & strategic in buying modules aggressively because things are so hard to get. The lines are blurry.

BTW, the best solution for the extra 1 hp space that odd-count modules cause is to use at least one of those spaces to put in a Konstant Labs PWRchekr. It really IS the most useful 1 hp module of all time if you have a power supply with no DC rail indicators. The PWRchekr tracks the DC rail voltages and gives you visual feedback if there's a malfunction...and all for about $25, which puts it into the STOOPID-CHEAP zone!

i went with erica dual fx. for the most part im happy. its pretty simple. people seem to reckon fx aid xl is the best in a small form, better than endorphines milky way apparently.

the best solution for the extra 1 hp space that odd-count modules cause is to use at least one of those spaces to put in a Konstant Labs PWRchekr

Interesting! I didn't realize there were 1 HP modules that weren't just blank. This indeed seems useful. My case does not have any such indicators.

i went with erica dual fx. for the most part im happy

Oh, I missed this option. The FX aren't quite the same but it looks almost like two Pico DSPs in one module. I wish with the bigger form factor there were more CV inputs for control of both FX parameters at once, but it still looks like a reasonable option. And it seems you can switch between controlling the different parameters (or wet/dry) with the CV input, unlike the Pico which only let's you control parameter 1. So the added flexibility is a good step up from the Pico.

Responding to myself from earlier in the thread:

I found one retailer in England selling [an FX Aid XL] but it looks like they won't ship to me in the US. Sigh...

It turns out they had an issue with their checkout system, and they do ship worldwide. We got it straightened out and I managed to buy their very last FX Aid XL! I had spent a long time looking and I think I may have been very lucky and got the last one in the world (at least a brand new module from an official retailer). Crazy. Now I'm just hoping it arrives in perfect working order next week 🤞 but I think I found a great replacement for my ALM MFX.

BTW I had emailed Happy Nerding and Igor responded. It sounds like he's hoping they can make a new batch outside the Ukraine in 1-2 months. I hope he can get back on his feet!

BTW I had emailed Happy Nerding and Igor responded. It sounds like he's hoping they can make a new batch outside the Ukraine in 1-2 months. I hope he can get back on his feet!

-- adamj

Excellent news! Good to see that Igor's still got the torch lit...I just hope that the rest of the synth community in both Ukraine AND Russia makes it out of that Pop-Star Stalin's vanity bloodbath in one piece.

I personally like my Erica Dual FX. This is the only FX module I’ve owned so I don’t have anything to compare it to or suggest something better. It’s worth checking out, though!

I personally like my Erica Dual FX. This is the only FX module I’ve owned so I don’t have anything to compare it to or suggest something better. It’s worth checking out, though!
-- Avesta

Actually, it's two FX Aids under one panel.

Many synth companies use this multieffects chip known as the Spin FV-1. They're easy to work with and they can do plenty of algorithms...but they all sound about the same. Even my AE system has a stereo FV-1 module. But the neat thing here is that this sure doesn't COST like an FX Aid XL; two of those would be about $500-ish, while the Erica comes in at around $200 lower. However, the FX Aid XL has multiple CV ins for parameter control, while the Erica's implementation is more like the regular FX Aid. Still, you come out $100+ ahead with the Erica. Decent choice!

I really like my Erica Synths Black Hole DSP v2 as it has stereo and various dry/wet controls and easy to learn. Plus it sounds amazing!

on the other hand - with the fx aid (xl)s you do get a hundred plus algorithms to choose from - including 808/909 emulations etc etc... so a lot more flexibility ++++ at least some algorithms on the fx aid are clockable, which is not at all common with fv-1 based effects modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

on the other hand - with the fx aid (xl)s you do get a hundred plus algorithms to choose from - including 808/909 emulations etc etc... so a lot more flexibility ++++ at least some algorithms on the fx aid are clockable, which is not at all common with fv-1 based effects modules
-- JimHowell1970

Yep...is why I don't exactly count the XL as simply another FV-1 device. That might be the core...but HN really outdid themselves with the clocking, piles of presets, et al. It's...ah, different.

fx aid xl

im not happy with erica dual fx. too noisey

I sent the endorphines back for a few reasons (quality/LR balance issue/loss of signal), and I really like my FXaids but I recently have added the Timiszoara and I must admit there are a wonderful set of very cool algos, and the "classic" ones sound great too!

if you don't mind, I made a video when received

https://studio.