Erica Synths has a series of educational modules for learning about electronic music generation. I’ll be doing all of them, and we started with their EDU oscillator, then did the envelope. Next is this one, their simple VCA . Even if you don’t buy the kit, I recommend you download the user manual, it’s a great practical guide to electronics in music.
Very serviceable dual VCA, if you need more this is a good choice, easy to build and inexpensive.
EDU VCA build

Erica Synths has a series of educational modules for learning about electronic music generation. I’ll be doing all of them, and we started with their EDU oscillator, then did the envelope. Next is this one, their simple VCA . Even if you don’t buy the kit, I recommend you download the user manual, it’s a great practical guide to electronics in music.
Very serviceable dual VCA, if you need more this is a good choice, easy to build and inexpensive.
EDU VCA build
-- Ravenware

Good for Erica! Years ago, ARP had a series of separate boxed modules for the same general reason: teaching synthesis. You sort of see this with the Littlebits stuff as well. I applaud this, though...it might not be right for us old farts, but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.

but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are >fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.
-- Lugia

Yeah, and as I mention, the manual that goes with it (which you can download for free) is probably the best practical set of guides to music generation electronics (and basic electronics in general) that I've ever seen in my 64 years.

In my opinion, perfect for a 10-12 year old.
--rw

but if you've got a kid or grandkid that's fascinated with sound and electronic tinkering, these are >fantastic. Take it from someone who grew up with all sorts of electronic toys.
-- Lugia

Yeah, and as I mention, the manual that goes with it (which you can download for free) is probably the best practical set of guides to music generation electronics (and basic electronics in general) that I've ever seen in my 64 years.

In my opinion, perfect for a 10-12 year old.
--rw
-- Ravenware

I started with a set of these: https://lectron.info/ Got them for my 8th birthday, immediately went for the oscillator build. The set I had, also, was marketed by the ultra-evil defense contractor Raytheon, the same people who brought you the Patriot missile.