Hello everyone!

After watching countless YouTube videos and doing research on my own about modular Eurorack systems, the idea of building a modular system as an addition to my workflow is starting to feel very appealing and I would love some feedback about my current idea that I plan to build up slowly so I can learn one section at a time of the larger/finished project.

Rack Idea

Link to this Rack Edit View

For a bit of background...I play guitar, have worked in studios as an engineer (both analog 2" tape and digital with various DAW systems), and in terms of electronic music creation I have mostly worked with a combination of hardware synths and software (Ableton/Reason/Logic/Motu). I guess you could say I am older than only some dirt? ha! Anyways...after a long day of work, yet more staring at a screen has become less appealing, so a Eurorack that I could plug my guitar into and loop/delay along side some percussion and other sounds sources/non-traditional sequencing/modulation sources seems fun.

For guitar/instrument input, I have both Merge and MI Ears added to this rack. I like the idea of having 2 input sources (jam with a friend? Guitar + Roland 606?...contact mic into the Ears module? lots of possibilities with pedals!). Still debating between Pams Workout as a clock, or if I would switch this out and change things to fit a few pieces from 4ms like the rotating clock divider. I don't mind menu diving, so Pams would not be a problem for me in this area (I have read some people dislike Pams because of the menu diving). I also have an interest in alternative sequencing methods, so there is the Rebel Tech Stoicheia for Euclidean rhythms and Rebel Tech Tonic for its unique approach to pitch sequencing. For more of a "master control center", I have also been pondering the idea of a Pioneer DJ Squid to have some trigger pads/step sequencing/groove options/etc...

To save space, I do have clones of Marbles, Rings, and Elements in here so that the Magneto delay and Make Noise Morphagene would fit. If there is a key idea I am missing please let me know as I could see an alternative where the Make Noise module is in a self contained 4ms pod case or something like that. Then, I can fit a different module or two in the main rack....or if the clones don't play nice with the other children, the regular Mutable modules in a separate smaller rack could be an idea. Overall thoughts on the MI clone modules would be very welcome!

I also feel like I don't have enough VCAs, so I am open to re-arranging things in this area :) Another key area I am trying to figure out is what to do for getting audio samples into the rack (to then mangle with Morphagene and Magneto). I do a lot of sound design/soundscapes with my field recorder, so it would be nice to modulate those sounds. I am thinking the Audio I/O and just run the field recorder outputs into the modular that way...maybe some kind of sd card wav player would be a better idea?

Looking forward to hearing from people, thanks!!

You have too many of the Marbles, Rings, and Elements style of modules.
Start with one, then decide later if you need more of the same.

What type of guitar music are you aiming for? Djent? Psychedelic? Freejazz?

Modules to explore:
Kuzminorgel
Bitcrushers
Plague Bearer
Brainseed
WMD SSM

I’d suggest steering clear of the micro Marbles. The urge to go as small as possible to save space is understandable, but some modules lose more in playability through miniaturization than you gain from having the extra space. Marbles is a lot of fun to tweak, but those tiny knobs would very much restrict its playability IMO.

Thank you for the feedback mt3!

A further reduction of MI style clone modules does free up space for other ideas, and the elements clone does take up 18hp... Something to think about for sure as I have those modules in VCV Rack....

For guitars it's....yah a kind of psychedelic/jazz/blues/ambient kind of thing.

Cool modules to explore! I think the Plague Bearer and Brainseed would fit nicely for the kinds of things I wanna do. Not so sure about the SSM but I will watch some more youtube videos, thanks again!

I’d suggest steering clear of the micro Marbles. The urge to go as small as possible to save space is understandable, but some modules lose more in playability through miniaturization than you gain from having the extra space. Marbles is a lot of fun to tweak, but those tiny knobs would very much restrict its playability IMO.
-- Skreetis

Ahhhh a very good point Skreetis thanks! You are right, from what I have seen so far, Marbles is all about tweaking...so those tiny knobs may get annoying after awhile. I guess Marbles and Elements may be going then :) and if I really want them later someday, I could get the full size versions and put them together in a smaller tabletop case/skiff of some kind.

Build a stand-alone Eurorack synth first. I know it's tempting to build exactly what you want first. But there are a couple of caveats.

You're wanting to use your Eurorack live. This means critically evaluating each and every module and how you will relate to it in a live situation. Modules with a lot of deep menu diving or combination button presses to access that "one mode" are pretty shitty to deal with live... and/or remember all the secret tweaks too. On top of that, you have to learn how to get around fluidly in Eurorack. I noticed your background in studio work. I've spent a few hours under an Otari 2" setting up tape as well. So at least you understand signal flow and gain staging. :)

The other aspect is that this... is... Sparta. I mean Eurorack... this is Eurorack. So the vast majority of your work exists as an instant in time and there's no way to recall it exactly. A lot of the magic in Eurorack happens within about 1-2 millimeters of knob wiggle. So how will you set-up and incorporate this flurry of knobs and cables before and during a show? It's going to be a bit more serious than a collection of guitar pedals and a pedal board. So is Eurorack the best solution for outboard gear for your guitar centered performance?

I'd put in a few more revisions to your rack and then pair down what you want with what you need at a bare minimum to get started. Add the other modules later as you're more comfortable with what you have. Once you've had some experience and feel confident, you'll then have to evaluate what modules will work for you live... but only you can determine that as everyone is different.

Don't be discouraged. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but help you get from A->B minimizing your disappointments and losing money on stuff that doesn't work for you in the long term.

You're wanting to use your Eurorack live. This means critically evaluating each and every module and how you will relate to it in a live situation. Modules with a lot of deep menu diving or combination button presses to access that "one mode" are pretty shitty to deal with live... and/or remember all the secret tweaks too. On top of that, you have to learn how to get around fluidly in Eurorack. I noticed your background in studio work. I've spent a few hours under an Otari 2" setting up tape as well. So at least you understand signal flow and gain staging. :)

-- Ronin1973

Originally I was planning to build something for my office/home studio....thinking about it more...something for live use too makes so much sense!! Thank you so much for your feedback, this gives me a lot of ideas and concepts to work with. Probably going to do another revision where I scale it down to just get guitar with inputs and outputs going with the delay and some kind of modulation....this would also give me the ability to feed in things like field recordings (or an input for my drum machine).

Any advice on a eurorack case that is an ATA flight case, or is it more just buy one with the right rails, drop in a uZeus for power, a row for the power connectors....and rock n roll? Starting to think I will build this purpose specific in an ATA style eurorack case...and then later on if I still want to I can buy a bigger case of some kind that would sit on my desk at home (or a medium sized tabletop case)

I bought an Intellijel 7U 104HP case. No regrets there. They come with a nice sized aluminum lid (the chassis is aluminum also). It's not as rugged as a true ATA case. But it should protect the unit from the majority of road damage. I wouldn't check your synth but bring it as carry-on luggage. It's a musical instrument so there are rules governing it in an airplane cabin. Granted, a briefcase sized device with a bunch of wires hanging out of it tends get a lot of second looks. I was detained in Frankfurt for bringing a Launchpad through security. In Vegas... no worries.

Yep. A few more revisions and some wiggle time and you'll be in the right place to get to where you want to be.

Yah the Intellijel 7U seems like a really nice case. To keep the cost down just a bit, I may end up going with the Tiptop Audio Mantis, cost per HP seems more reasonable however I can definitely see the advantage of the Intellijel with those 1U modules and that nice aluminum chassis so that's something to think about for my build.

After taking a hard look at the original idea, and meeting up with a local musician that has a Eurorack setup, I have realized Eurorack and me for live work just does not gel, however it sparked some new ideas for the home studio.

First modules arrive tomorrow :) Starting with how I want to sequence (was able to find a Variatic Sequent which I really wanted, and I was able to find a Brain Seed, thanks for showing me this one mt3!). Next step I will figure out the case, then VCO, noise/random generator, VCA, filters, LFO, headphone out/line out, a logic module, etc etc

Here is the actual build so far...

ModularGrid Rack

Out of curiosity do people usually start a new thread when the rack idea totally changes? Or is it cool to keep this thread going?

Now that you're moving in a different direction, start a new thread. People will get confused by reading your original post and tracing the evolution is time consuming.