hello, I am new to eurorack and I am trying to figure out how to be able to record multiple audio voices to my DAW (multitracking) at the same time (at least 4 separates) I have a presonus studio 1810 which I believe is dc coupled. will a quad vca do the trick ? I can mix using the audio interface and daw
Thanks in advance :)

no one knows ? jus want to know if I can use a quad vca like the mutable veil to output multiple track to my presonus soundcard to daw, thanks !

This isn't exactly making a lot of sense. On the one hand, you mention the DC-coupling on the Presonus interface as if this might be what you want to control the synth with (via Silent Way/Volta/CV Tools), but then you're also talking about VCA audio outputs. A bit of clarification might help...

yes sorry I am confused too :(
so I already have a Presonus 18|10 which I believed is dc coupled.
I am putting together ( first eurorack) a list of modules that I will be needed,
what I am trying to accomplished is to take multiple audio signal output from some of the modules and record it on my DAW
I was wondering if a quad vca could accomplish that.

Yes and no. First of all, DC coupling only really comes into play when you're trying to send/return CVs, etc to your DAW so that software such as Silent Way, Volta, or CV Tools can directly address the modules. I use a MOTU 828 for this, myself. Expert Sleepers also has an extensive line of modules and expanders that can do this; they're sort of the...well...experts at it.

Now, all that a VCA is going to do is to control a signal's level. Linear ones (with DC coupling) are what's used for CVs and modulation signals, and exponential VCAs (AC coupled, quite often) are used for audio so that the level changes seem correct to our ear, since we perceive apparent loudness in logarithmic changes. So a VCA won't get your signal to the Presonus interface as such.

Now, I'm going to assume you're talking about Intellijel's Quad VCA here...this is a 4-VCA module with variable responses (which makes it useable for ANY signal type) which can also function as a mixer, with some configurability when patching. But again, you can't take the output directly from this and send it to the Presonus, as synthesizer signal levels are considerably hotter than what the interface is wanting to see at its inputs. Instead, the module you need for this is an output module...something that can step the level down from the +/- 10V (at max, as a rule) signals to the +/- 1.4VRMS line level that the Presonus is expecting. So, if you wanted a solution that all four of the Quad VCA's outputs can connect through, something like a Ladik P-520 or a pair of their P-530s would work.

BUT...it's very important to not pass DC in your audio path! DC can do things like wreck speakers and amps when it's present in audio signals and screw up levels and stereo balancing in recording. This was always a big danger with the ARP 2600, for example, since it had a DC-coupled audio path through the entire synth and could output DC offsets along with the audio signal, potentially causing speaker burnout, amp damage, etc. So choosing an output module with a balanced output, such as a Happy Nerding Isolator or an Intellijel OUTS, is important. These contain isolation transformers that output balanced audio on TRS jacks, which the Presonus should also have, and not only do those isolation devices prevent DC passage on to your DAW, they also help kill noise and eliminate ground loops. I always recommend that people use isolated, balanced outs for their output modules.

So if you wanted to pass audio directly from the Quad VCAs individual VCA outs, you would need a pair of those 2-channel isolated types. But if you're using the Quad VCA to mix your audio while it's still in the modular, just one isolated output will suffice. Hope that's somewhat helpful!

Thanks for the detailed answer Lugia :) for some reasons I thought I could plug in hot line directly into my presonus dc coupled interface. It looks like I could simply use the inexpensive link from erica synth to plug directly into my daw

Hi Progerik,

Yeah, that was I was thinking too: "Use the Erica Synths Link" easy and simple, but it wasn't. As Lugia already explains, the DC parts in/on your signal might be a killer for your speakers and that's really not what you want to happen. I had this discussed (in case you are interested) in another post as well:

Forum --> Modular Discussions --> ACL & Waldorf modules --> then start to scroll almost completely to the bottom of that post (because the first 70 or 80% isn't really related to this matter). The DC part has already been a bit mentioned here and there and to better make sure to use a proper audio input/output module for that (instead of for example that Link module from Erica Synths). Just below the reply of "ModularGrid" quite at the bottom, from there onwards might be some additional information to this. To summarize: Lugia already all explained here above :-)

Carefull with DC stuff --> I didn't take any chances and got myself some audio input/output modules to make sure I don't get DC signals to the "outside" world (i.e. out of my Eurorack).

Good luck and kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks GarfieldModular, but I am even more confused now.... so what you are saying is that the erica synth link module wont work ? here is the description of the module functionality from their website :

LINK is the module that bridges eurorack to destop mixers — it has 5 sections that attenuate eurorack signals to line level signals and send them to 6,3mm jacks for quality connection to the mixer.

So basically I can plug in hot signals from the eurorack and the link will attenuate it enough to be then plugged into my audio interface, but according to you that`s not the case ?

No, the Erica LINK is just fine for this purpose. Go ahead and use that. But keep in mind that it's just a passive attenuator bank, so you still need to control your levels carefully on the modular side of it, as it can still output something relatively hot if you hit it really hard on the modular side.

One other thing to remember, also...this is likely to be a simple resistive circuit and this means that it can pass DC. That's Garfield's concern here, since your interface can also pass DC. The best solution, eventually, will be to exchange the LINK module with something that has transformer balancing/isolation, which prevents the DC from going beyond the transformer itself. There's another method of preventing DC from passing, though...but I can't look at the PCB side of the LINK module or find any data on Erica's site that says whether or not the attenuated outputs have capacitors that work as DC stops. Not quite as preferable as transformer isolation, but still quite workable.

Thanks, yes ill go with the link for now and carefully use the mixer on my audio interface to make sure i stay within levels