You look at the Journalogue Switch 4?

A switch isn't a mult.

Mults break down into two categories: active or passive.

A passive mult is probably the simplest module in Eurorack. It doesn't require power and splits your signal into two or more outputs. The issue with passive mults is that each additional split robs voltage from the input. That's not a big deal for clocks and gates. But when you're using CV for pitch, there can be a drop in voltage... which will detune and throw off the scale for your CV.

Active or powered mults, are basically distribution amplifiers. They make a copy of the signal at a 1:1 (hopefully) voltage.

Passive mults are less expensive than actives.

The Joranalogue Switch 4 isn't a mult. It's a switch that allows selecting either an input or an output and routing it to a different destination. Depending on the switch it is possible to route one input to multiple outputs simultaneously... but that's going to depend heavily on the design of the switch.

I'm new to modular. Is an "active" mult the same as a "buffered" mult?

Yes, buffered is active. Hope that clears things up.

I should note that buffered mults really only have a specific use, that being to maintain scaling-critical CV voltages when a single CV is being used to drive four or more (as a rule) VCOs, VCFs, etc. If you're splitting a CV between two or three of these, you can probably make do with passives. Also, if you're talking about multiples for a build that's 2 x 104hp or smaller, the better thing to do is to use no multiple modules and instead use inline mults or stackcables, since builds like that are so small that every bit of panel needs to be dedicated to functional modules. Three 2 hp mult modules could just as easily be one 6 hp multiple VCA module...and believe me, you'll make far better use of the VCAs!

A switch isn't a mult.

-- Ronin1973

Yes, you are correct. If you are seeing what I am seeing, there are switches all up in there. That's why I asked. I didnt say a switch was a mult.