I think I've finally done it.

Ever since the Intellijel Palette cases came out, I've been trying to think of a small 'groovebox' style build that would contain some sequencing, an analog VCO, and a small drum box powered by Grids. I really like Grids.

Let me know what I'm missing or where I can improve this build. I'm relying on the built in mult which isn't the best but it's something. Thanks ~mikenoface

Edit: I think what I'm missing is more envelope shaping for the drums. Sigh...can't have it all in 62hp.

Removed Pico FX, added 2hp ADSR for both Plaits and Basimilus.

Hi MikeNoFace,

I think you answered your own question :-)

Edit: I think what I'm missing is more envelope shaping for the drums. Sigh...can't have it all in 62hp.

If you haven't bought the case yet, you seriously might want to consider a larger case... I also see you are planning a Doepfer A-111-6, that has a VCO too, fair enough, though (unless I overlooked it) is that the only VCO planned in this rack? You might want to consider at least two VCOs though.

Please also refer to other postings in this forum section "Racks" for further ideas and advice you might find there.

Kind regards, Garfield Modular.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Plaits and the Basimilus have their own envelopes. But they are very basic. Your synth voice has its own envelope generator as well. If you're using the O_C as a sequencer, it can output its own envelopes rather than just gates.

I'd put the Pico FX back in else you have a very dry rack. Personally, I'd rather have at least one FX unit rather an extra ADSR in this set-up.

As far as VCOs... or at least oscillators, the rack has a A116, Basimilus, and a Plaits module. The KickAll can also be used as a pitched oscillator in certain circumstances.

For its size. You might be a little heavy on oscillators. But I wouldn't worry too much about that. You can always remove one or more of them and place in other modules that'll fit in the same space. If you don't mind reconfiguring your rack the times you're looking for more functionality and less voices. Just don't do it with the power on and connected.

If the O_C is not getting the job done for your sequencing needs, you can always add an external sequencer.

Thanks for sharing, looks well thought out, I want to give it try! Where are you in the process with this one—any tweaks or ideas since you posted?

I'm researching and planning different ways of setting up a Palette case—for me it presents more of a challenge than a bigger case, because there's more of a need to keep a focused and pared-back rack. Intellijel is wise to make a compact case like this, and no doubt it is going to appeal to folks who are newer to modular—myself included—because it looks like a way to test the waters without a huge investment. IE, buy a small handful of modules, and experiment with modular, decide "ah, I like this modular thing" and then go gangbusters and start putting together a larger rack.

It is arguably more difficult for entry-level folks to have the constraints of a compact case. It makes every module choice more critical, and requires (from what I understand) a greater knowledge of modular than if I were to go ahead and buy a bigger rack—where, theoretically I can add in modules more willy nilly, have room to grow, make mistakes, and be able to tinker with a rig that is less focused initially. Say—maybe I want to try to figure out a nice analog drum machine area over here, and over there I'll start building up a generative sequencer, and then leave some room in that other open area for some sound sources that are yet to be defined.

For reference—Ricky Tinez put together a very compact kit with plenty of sequencing & modulation oomph, you may have seen it already: ModularGrid Rack

Any others you've seen that have stood out?

I was reading Aaron's post. The lower half of your post really hits the nail on the head.

I'm excited for Behringer's new case. It's huge and rumored to be around $200. It's probably a lot larger than you'd need for a basic entry-level system. But if you're new to modular, it means you have room to add almost anything that you wish. This allows new Eurorackers to experiment and reconfigure their set-ups based on their first-hand experience and preferences.

Once you've found your ideal set-up, you can always transplant your modules to a smaller case that will fit your specific collection. But if you start out too small, you'll hamstring yourself into making compromising decisions.

If the rumor is true on the $200 case and the specs are decent, I'd definitely recommend it as a starter kit. The power supplies for their synths seem acceptable so making an empty box with a power supply in it should be a no-brainer.

Ronin—I am also excited to see this new Behringer case, would definitely be a good entry point w/ a little bit more room to play. Having a bigger rack to workshop through ideas to get to various configurations of a gig-ready palette would be a great way to explore, too.

A longer term goal of mine would be to have a lightweight, DAW-free Palette that I can easily tote around for gigs & collaboration with friends. I could imagine packing a little mutant monosynth configuration in my carry-on to take to a recording session at my friend's pad where there is zilch in the way of modular gear kicking around.