Hello again ModularGridders and Fellow Wigglers,

I recently had a major itch for some trance and the hate-it or love-it supersaw sound so i bought a Acid Rain Chainsaw!
but foolishly realized after, i don't have a proper standalone envelope generators and a VCA (oh the humanity!) as well a nice stereo filter and sequencer that can handle at least 3 separate V/Oct. I've been spoiled by the Intellijel Atlantis having everything built in, so i focused on other modules to add but now its finally come back to haunt me. I know the infamous saying "You can never have enough VCAs" so i did end up buying a Mutable Instruments Veils a while ago just in case but I feel i limited myself with that one in terms of modulation sources. I also technically have and EG in the form of MI's Peaks but its been my dedicated bass drum/snare.

Envelope Generator :
Is it finally time to buy a MATHS? its a Swiss army knife in itself but if I'm just using it as a dual EG is that overkill? Quadrax and Stages (although pricey) seem to be nice options as well. I do favor versatility which is why I'm not just going for standard Doepfer, not to say the father of eurorack doesn't make great modules, he definitely does.

VCA:
For a VCA, I'm stuck because the Chainsaw has a Stereo output and none of the modules i own expect the Ujack has stereo inputs. My only mixer is a ABC from Bastl and only true VCA is Veils, so for bringing the chainsaw into my patch with my other voices I'm a little lost. If anything I don't mind going mono to make my life easier.

Filter:
I was initially going to use the external input on the Atlantis but once again due the the stereo outputs I'm having a second opinion, I'd like to use this as an excuse to buy the Morgasmatron because the MS-20 filter is my all time favorite but it takes up a big chunk of HP and is pretty expensive. Alternatives have been Happy Nerding's MMM VCF (no Canadian retailers, boo!), MI Ripples, System 80 Jove, MUM M8, Uvcf, and there are a lot more to choose from it makes my head spin.

Sequencer:
The chainsaw has 3 V/oct but no gate outputs so some guidance would be lovely.
Currently my main sequencer is a Metropolis and a Pressure Points/Brains transposing key, i could use pressure points for the chainsaw but would prefer to have another sequencer having multiple V/oct and gates. Ive seen videos of people using the Veroma QMI and Instruo Harmonaig and others using the WMD Arpitecht with the Triad but what suggestions do you have? i would mainly be using the sequencer for chord progressions / soft pads as well as quick snappy arpeggios that can be transposed. There's more complex options like Nerdseq or Hermod which have plenty of tracks, but would MI Yarns, O_C, Pam's workout be suitable for any of this?

TL;DR

What modules would you recommend to make the Acid Rain Chainsaw its own fully fledged voice! from snappy trance arpeggios to nice pads.
My guess is I'll need a Quad or Stereo VCA, Quad EG, Stereo Filter, and a easy to use sequencer capable of handling at least 3 different V/oct.

My only preference is smaller size HP unless its a really magical module, doesn't necessarily need to be in stereo if it makes my choice and patching friendlier, and easily accessible to buy in Canada (or North America).

Sorry for the long post!
Thank you so much for your time and keep on racking in the free world!

I'm using WMD's Arpitecht with the Triad expander. The Chainsaw was designed to work alongside the Triad. I've been having a lot of fun with this combination.

I just bought a chainsaw. Planning to use it with the st modular fitzemdefore. should make for some interesting sequences. Im wondering about the envelope/vca/filter question myself. Watching this thread.

For a stereo filter that fits the low HP criteria, you may want to have a look at Shakmat’s Dual Dagger, it’s only 6HP and quite capable in the matters of stereo filtering goodness

--- Voltage control all the things ---

this user has left ModularGrid

I am using Shakmat Dual Dagger stereo filter with my Acid Rain Chainsaw and it works great. For sequencer, in that small case, I use Endorphin.es Ground Control which works great since I can build a sequence on one voice and play another voice on the keyboard in real time live situation. It lets me send both 1v/oct and gate triggers to Chainsaw and also has 8 triggers for percussion modules. I can create and save patterns for future recall and the new firmware has additional features.

I use Queen of Pentacles for percussion and they play well together. VCAs- I use 1u After Later Audio DVCA and Plum Audio 1u Apex for modulation. These work great in my small 4u palette case.

Another possibility: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/wmd-sclpl This thing is a very shrunk-down variation on the Serge Resonant EQ, fits in 4 hp, is full stereo, and it can morph between settings which gives things shot through it the ability to have seamless and wild timbral shifts.

As for sequencing, my suggestion would be to go with a Make Noise Rene/Tempi pair. Those two have some backplane connections that allow them to get into some more advanced functions. Plus, if you add a Brains (only 4 hp), you can also make the Pressure Points function as another sequencer...only four steps, sure, but if you need sequenced transpositions, it's perfect.

VCA - I quite fancy a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/worng-electronics-vertex to go with my Chainsaw, though I'm currently using the ST Modular SVCA though I find it all too easy to colour the sound with it and I get a better result using 2 channels of MI Veils.
I'm currently filtering with the Patching Panda Moonphase which is alright, I may get a DIY Stereo Ripples at some point or as others say the Dual Dagger maybe.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery