I play ambient music and am interested in granular synthesis. I have an idea of what I want -- see my sketch below for reference (1U row just added to demonstrate the nifty case, this will just be 3U). I'm looking for advice on a couple cheaper utilities to round the system out. I think the gaping holes in my planned system are VCA's and mod sources, so suggestions on bang-for-buck compact options are appreciated! I'm happy to invest in a VCF and an EG later given what I want out of Plaits.

I'm thinking about getting a Cre8Audio Nifty Bundle, and I was initially inspired by the way Nick Batt was using it in this sonicstate fun friday jam. I'm mostly just interested in a simple, minimal monosynth for plucky ambient sequences and drones.
I can definitely see myself outgrowing the system in the not too distant future, but I am prepared for that and am interested in keeping it small and simple with very limited functionality. I'm eager to learn more about granular synthesis with Clouds and I love its use as a delay and reverb machine. Plaits is incredibly versatile and provides enough of the plucky resonator goodness that I like in Rings, which was my other top contender for a digital sound source. I'm looking at getting both Plaits and Clouds from Momo Modular (unless you can suggest a better budget option!).

I understand that the cre8audio modules are mediocre, but I do think Cellz seems fun, and I can use the Chips LFO to advance the sequencer for now and use its other out as a mod source. I should also be able to use its oscillators to modulate Clouds at audio rate. If I get $30 for Chips in the future it will have paid for itself.

At this point a Maths or a Rampage seems like the sane choice, but I hate the aesthetic of both and I don't think they'll fit into my starter budget. I'd like to get enough utility to make this a considerably fun system from the start. Is there a multi-function LFO or VCA or some combo I can get for cheaper?

I have the entire starting point thus far for this system priced out at around $625, and I have roughly 175 left to spend. I know that's hardly anything in this realm, so I'd love it if there was something from Doepfer or a maybe couple things from 2hp that folks could recommend. I figure a used Disting MK3 could be an option, or maybe an Ornament & Crime if I can find a good deal?

What do you think? What am I missing? I've owned a few semi-modular synths but this is my first shot at a standalone eurorack system, so I'm sure there are glaring issues with my design. Any input appreciated!

I would suggest thinking about Pamela's New Workout. It's slightly outside of your budget, but well worth it.

Instead on focussing on the original Clouds I would get Typhoon with the Superparasites firmware. You will free up more space and you have much more direct sound tweaking possibilities. Intellijels Quad VCA could be worth a look. I'd save some more money - you'll be in need for more possibilities, soon.