Hey all

I've recently become fascinated with the world of Euroracks and am eager to build my first. I'm not completely new to synth in general but have no experience in euroracks and could use some advice from seasoned veterans.

My ultimate goal is a cold digital beast that can generate harsh soundscapes on it's own, but primarily be used as a supplemental instrument for my bands in both live and studio situations

The first rack below is what I'm planning to get me started and the full rack is the goal I'm working towards (for now anyway). I assume once I learn more and get some hands on experience that things are likely to change from what I'm planning now

My questions are:

1) Is my small rack enough to get me started down the path of what I'm trying to achieve? I figure I don't need an envelope right away as the Manis is the only voice and has one built in. I like the Intellijel stuff for easily syncing to a DAW and using a midi keyboard, and also for going out into an amp or recording interface. I also like the m/div for live tap tempo of the master clock. Is there anything essential I'm missing or overlooking?

2) Is my plan for a full rack something viable? Is there anything crucial I'm not thinking about? I wonder if I'm low on envelopes or modulation? I plan on using the Trogotronic for mostly drones and audio processing and with the Manis having one built in and the sampler not really needing one my thoughts are the the single ADSR is kind of dedicated to the Ataraxic.

Any advice, comments or criticism much appreciated

Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

ModularGrid Rack

The beauty of modular, and Noise Engineering oscillators specifically, is in the modulation possibilities. The Manis doesn't have an assignable envelope like the Loquelic Iteritas Percido from what I can remember, just attack/decay I believe. Take a look at each of the Manis' inputs. Each of those is an opportunity to modulate a different parameter in different amounts and times. This is why you would want/need envelopes, LFOs, and random sources from the very beginning. Watch some of Baseck's videos on YouTube to get an idea how cool the NE oscillators are with lots of modulation.

Ok cool thanks for the feedback. So if I'm getting it right soemthing basically that would receive cv from say the mimetic and then in turn modulate the inputs on the Mani, am I getting that path right? I did see a Maths up for sale and hear I about them everywhere but it looks super confusing for me at this stage in the game (though I'm totally willing to put in the time to learn it). Would a module such as that work in this case?

You might want to instead take an output from your master clock (I like Pamela's New Workout for a lot of function, triggers, gates, etc. in a small space, and ease of use) to your modulation sources so everything is in time. That way you save your pitch CVs from the Mimetic Digitalis for oscillator/pitch duties. I have Maths and it can do a lot, but it's not always the most intuitive thing in my rack. It's cool because of how many different things it can do, plus it has attenuverters which you will find useful very early. Maths may be valuable for helping you learn some synthesis/modulation techniques, but you will have to read the manual (maybe a few times) and try out their patch ideas. A lot of people really fall in love with Make Noise stuff, but I'm one of those who likes a more straightforward readable interface. That's another beauty of Eurorack though! We all have different ways of working and patching. Experimentation is rewarded.
Have fun and good luck!

Awesome! Very helpful thanks a lot. I've been a musician for over 20 years and this is like starting all over again, so daunting and exciting at the same time. Thanks for the advice this is exactly what I was looking for