I have just purchased Plaits from Mutable Instruments as my first module.

My plan is to create a small modular rack 84HP, to go with my other hardware synths and use it to create sounds I cannot get from more traditional analog synths. I already have a Prophet 6, Boomstar 5089 and a Roland SH-09, so I feel I am covered for pads, bass and leads. I have also purchased the Nifty Case, so this gives me Midi in, two channels of CV gate and a basic audio out.

What I am after is stranger sounds, more esoteric wobbles and weirdness, beautiful plinks and plonks. I really liked the sound of Plaits and like the fact that it is digital. I have plenty of guitar effects and also an El Capistan Strymon pedal, so I don't necessarily need any reverb or delay.

My question is: what modules do you think would go well in a small set up to complement Plaits? I don't want my modular system to grow and grow beyond the 84HP (famous last words!). I'd like to keep it small and only buy a few modules, each of which can do a lot and each of which fits in beautifully with the others.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Telharmonic immediately comes to mind, or maybe a complex oscillator through a nice low pass gate. You get a taste of Rings within Plaits, so while Rings is sort of known for beautiful plinks and plonks, I don't think I would have both in an 84hp case.
I'm interested to hear what others have to say.
Have fun and good luck!

Things to modulate your module ,that are not si common : euclidean sequencers, varigate4 + ,Zadar with tons of shapes ,Logic modules and switches but that's gonna be hard with only 84hp, as you still need the basic filter mixer vca combo and enveloppe

Hi,
You can have a look to Ornament and crime or Malekko voltage block too.

Thank you everyone, very much, for your input. I will certainly look into all these options.

I've been having super fun fiddling around with putting modules in and out on the modular grid app. So far I have come up with the following, including Plaits (which I have already bought).

Plaits
Maths (Make Noise) - seems to be able to do so much and I like the fact that I don't understand it!
Telharmonic (Make Noise) - another funky looking oscillator
Stages (Mutable Instruments) - I think I could use it for envelopes, triggers and LFOs
Ripples (Mutable Instruments) - seems like a safe bet for a filter and can also be an oscillator and LFO
Doepfer A132-3 Dual Linear/Exponential VCA - figuring I'll need at least two VCAs
Narrow Mini Mixer (Doepfer) - guess I'll need one.
Disting Mk4 (Expert Sleepers) - maybe use an effect but also be good in case there is anything else I need as it appears to be able to do almost anything! I like the fact I could use it as a sampler or another oscillator.

What do people think?