ModularGrid Rack

Hi there,

I'm planning on assembling a rack with for ambient performances but with a lot of chordal voices.
Currently I have the Subharmonicon and an 0-coast and 0-cntl.
I plan on using the 0-cntl for sequencing and playing live (but not mounting it).
Also, I've got a large guitar pedal board with a lot of reverbs, delays and loopers which I'd like to use (hence the Rosie).

What do you think of this rack set up?
I'm kinda going round in circles now so your opinions would be great!

I've looked at this rack a few times, but I have some questions first so I might be able to offer some advice: When you say "a lot of chordal voices," are you referring to the chord mode within Plaits? Are you planning to add other oscillators, envelopes, and VCAs so that you can sequence those as chords?
How far are you looking to go with this? If you are planning to sequence with the 0-Control, Hermod might be a bit overkill with a rack this small, but it's pretty common to expand beyond a first small rack so it might make sense in the long run. I'm just not sure what you are envisioning long term.
If you are ok with using external gear, why eat up all of your rack space with the Subharmonicon?
How much prior experience do you have with synths?
Let me know what your thinking is on these, and I'll help if I can.
Have fun and good luck!

Thanks for the reply!

My plan is to try and make evolving chord soundscapes. (Eno meets Reich?)
Originally the Subharmonicon wasn’t in there but rather than buy a larger case later on I thought I’d put it in there.
Eventually I’ll replace it with VCOs, VCAs, envelopes and filters.

For the moment I thought of using Hermod to sequence the chordal modes in both Plaits and Rings occasionally (or use them as single voices) as the Subharmonicon can produce nice chords.
On reflection, I think you are right, and the 0-control would be better used for its touchplates/keyboard abilities (I currently use it for controlling PWM and cutoff on the Moog as well as sequencing the 0-Coast).

I’ve had a fair bit of experience with synths (hardware and VCV) but am fairly new to completely modular.
I’ve learnt a lot from my 0-Coast and would really love to expand my setup... and knowledge!

My plan is not to really go larger than this though, as I’ll be using a similar sized pedal board for outboard effects and I’d like it to be fairly portable.

Any suggestions or help would be really appreciated!

What about something like this?
ModularGrid Rack

I have most of the modules suggested here, and I think you could get a lot out of them. Some of the other folks here will likely have other recommendations.
As this is a small rack, I tried to pack a lot of functionality and utilities into your rack so you won't get bored quickly. Maths is great, but you can pack a lot more into that 20hp. Disting can serve as just about anything, so it's almost a must-have in a rack this size. For Eno-esque evolving textures, you will want a lot of modulation sources so I have included Sloths for slow random movement, Quadrax for envelopes and LFOs, and Pique for a little bit of everything (envelopes, LFOs, drum sounds, mini-sequencing options, etc.). The 3xMIA attenuates CV signals, and you will also want VCAs to control volume over time.
Let us know how it goes.
Have fun!

Thanks for your help!

That rack looks great and I can see so many possibilities with it (love the Sloth and Disting).
If I was to get a slighter larger case is there anything you think I am desperately missing?

I think I'd like to eventually get the Hermod as I like that fact I could save sequences.
Is there anything similar but in a smaller size?

Once again, thanks so much for your help.

I like Eno’s albums with Robert Fripp a lot, so I would probably want some kind of modular delay unit like the Mimeophon, Magneto, or something similar to add some crazy texture. My next purchase is going to be the Winter Modular Eloquencer sequencer. It might be worthwhile to look at that before you buy Hermod. They’re both powerful, just different.
Have fun!

I love Eno and Fripp too!
I'm actually a guitarist first and am planning my modular set up to complement my guitar and pedals set up.
My pedal board consists of loopers, delays, reverbs and more unusual things like the Count to 5, Tensor and Blooper pedals.
I was thinking of sending the modular to these via Rosie... would that work?
I'll definitely look into the Winter Modular Eloquencer sequencer.

Thanks again!

You just won’t be able to control different parameters of your pedals via CV (which is the fun of modular). You may find that bothersome, or you may not. Once you get started, you will know what you need next. That’s why it’s a good idea to start a little slow so you don’t waste time and money on modules you don’t really need.