this user has left ModularGrid

Hi everyone,

Been learning how to use my new Doepfer A100 Basic System 1 that came with a few modules including two weird ones that are not common: the delay LFO called VCDLFO and the VCS Serge type Slew Processor/Generation module. I read the Doepfer manuals but they were confusing at best and lack patch examples. Unable to find anything on how to use these. Any ideas?

I am also trying to figure out how to hook up my Elektron Octatrack to the Doepfer A-190-4 USB/MIDI to CV/Gate module that is confusing for me.

it's common to refer to doepfer modules by their number, not their name - weird I know as it's difficult to remember!

googling the doepfer a-147-2 vcdlfo - https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=RclIX_T9Ao7UsAe-q6EI&q=youtube+doepfer+a-147-2&oq=youtube+doepfer+a-147-2&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDDIFCCEQoAE6BAgAEEdQwLwBWMC8AWDL4gFoAHABeACAAViIAaoBkgEBMpgBAKABAaoBB2d3cy13aXrAAQE&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwi0tIeJxr3rAhUOKuwKHb5VCAEQ4dUDCAw

lots of videos - but basically it's a resetable lfo with 4 waveforms, that has a vca attached which will open and close with the rise and fall of the delay lfo (unless something is plugged into the vca cv in - if nothing is plugged into the input then the triangle doepfer is sent to the vca input) and a delay which triggers after the lfo and starts a ramp which opens the vca and holds it open until re triggered - unless something else is plugged into the vca cv in - the delay ramp can also be patched to something else

same with the a-171-2

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&ei=Y8lIX6zmEsqxkwWf8bWICA&q=youtube+doepfer+a-171-2&oq=youtube+doepfer+a-171-2&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoECAAQR1CGyQlY484JYPbSCWgAcAJ4AIABUYgBigGSAQEymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdpesABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjso76Xxr3rAhXK2KQKHZ94DYEQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

basically slew is the rate at which a signal changes - a slew limiter slows this down - you have 2 ways of limiting the slew of a waveform - on the way up and on the way down - so you can take a waveform that looks like this |\ and turn it into one that looks like this /\ by altering the up-slew amount and then to this /| by altering the down-slew

if nothing is patched to the input and trigger is sent to the trigger input then a single envelope based off the up-slew/down-slew will be output

if the cycle switch is engaged - then it becomes an lfo based on the up-slew/down-slew

midi out of elektron to midi in of module - set elektron midi channel to the same that the module is set (read manual on how to set this) - at a guess - cv1 is pitch - patch this to the voct of a vco - patch gate to envelope

hope this helps - might be a good idea to get a basic oscilloscope - so you can see what is happening to your waveforms

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

this user has left ModularGrid

Thanks Jim! Very helpful as always. I have the hang of this very useful module now in my Doepfer system as well as the handy A-148 Dual S&H module and A-118 Noise module. Combined are super great for patching generative melodies in concert with LFOs and VCOs.

Been learning how to use my new Doepfer A100 Basic System 1 that came with a few modules including two weird ones that are not common: the delay LFO called VCDLFO and the VCS Serge type Slew Processor/Generation module. I read the Doepfer manuals but they were confusing at best and lack patch examples. Unable to find anything on how to use these. Any ideas?
-- sacguy71

Jim got the VCDLFO sorted. But one thing that's worth mentioning about the 171-2 is that it's basically 1/2 of a Maths. Same initial design, too: the Serge DUSG, in this case a variant of Ken Stone's version of the circuit. See https://www.modulargrid.net/e/elby-designs-es75-vcs