this user has left ModularGrid

Hi all,

I just got my new Malekko Varigate 4+ sequencer and Malekko Quad Envelope! Crazy modules and I plugged them into my case and tested and all good. But very tricky to use since I am new to modular and trying to figure out some good patch examples to get started on using both modules. Any ideas?

set varigate to 4 gates
patch out of each channel of varigate to an envelope
patch each of the envelopes to cv in on one of the channels of a quad vca
send 4 channels of audio to a quad vca
listen
adjust to taste

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you JimHowell1970,

For the quick reply. Question: how would I then patch VCOs and LFOs to the envelopes and sequencer to playback patterns if I patch the gates from the Varigate 4+ and envelopes to the 4 CV on my Intellijel Quad VCA? Would I route each VCO and LFO to the 4 inputs of the Intellijel Quad VCA and route the audio outs from the quad vca to a mixer or studio monitors?

Thank you JimHowell1970,

NP

For the quick reply. Question: how would I then patch VCOs and LFOs to the envelopes and sequencer to playback patterns if I patch the gates from the Varigate 4+ and envelopes to the 4 CV on my Intellijel Quad VCA? Would I route each VCO and LFO to the 4 inputs of the Intellijel Quad VCA and route the audio outs from the quad vca to a mixer or studio monitors?

-- sacguy71

VCO outputs to audio inputs on VCA

the intellijel quad vca is cascading - so has a mixer built in - send that where ever you want or patch each channel to a mixer -> monitors

use the LFOs to modulate the VCOs

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

I can get the envelopes to trigger but no sequencer to work. Any ideas?

I was able to get the sequencer Varigate 4+ to work without envelopes but getting both to work with LFOs is tricky.

Here is what I have

good you got the sequencer working

if you are having issues patching it - possibly go to the Patches section and create a patch identical to what you are doing and paste it here with an explanation of exactly what you are trying to do!

You are opening the VCA with gates. The standard way to go would be to send the gates to the quad envelopes, adjusting the envelopes shapes as needed, and open the VCA with it. If the Varigate is set to 2/2 mode, you can send 2 gates to malekko QE and 2 CV to yours VCO v/oct.

Doepfer A-100 Pach Examples

I tried this patch after reading the manual and watching on video that explains you need to use the 2/2 mode switch on the Varigate 4+ to enable the note, glide and scale features of the Varigate sequencer:

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/67467

so what were you trying to do and did it work as you expected?

I see 2 outputs from the quad envelope to the quad vca that seem superfluous - the red and orange cables going into in 3 and 4 of the vca - there's no point listening to envelopes

I have to test it today after work. What patch ideas do you recommend to balance out the features of the Varigate 4+ to still let me use the 2/2 configuration for pitch and scale control that would also wrap in the Malekko Quad Envelope and Batumi LFO to modulate the VCOS in my setup? Documentation from Malekko leaves much to be desired as does lack of support! In contrast, the Intellijel documentation is superb.