Hi!

Thank you in advance for any feedback. I'm new to the modulars and spent sometime thinking whether I should jump into it or not and after signing up to Chris Meyer's course decided to try.

This is my first attempt. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm a big fan of Plastikman's (Richie Hawtin) music. This is the type of music I would love to achieve to play down the road. I'm planing to use my OP-1 with it.

Can you please advise:

1. placement (in which order) of the modulars inside the rack. I bought Make Noise 3U 104HP Skiff?
  2. what am I missing in this set up to achieve beginner level electronic music?

https://cdn.modulargrid.net/img/racks/modulargrid_1332663.jpg

I appreciate the support and love of this community.

Thank you

ModularGrid Rack

First up, the uMod II is discontinued, so unless you have one or can source one, it's probably best to remove it from the build.

Secondly, don't do the drums in here! This build is TOO SMALL to support lots of different functions; you're already missing a lot of what should be there just to support basic synth functionality.

Third: Richie uses a lot of bespoke devices and software. And without these, you won't replicate his workflow. Not that you should, anyway...if you check your driver's license, and it's not from Ontario and doesn't say Richard Hawtin, you probably shouldn't be trying to replicate his setup. Given that there are SO MANY possibilities for individual builds in Eurorack alone, it's far easier to find your OWN sound than lifting someone else's.

Now, as for the build itself...first up, jettison the small cab. If you insist on using the Circadian Rhythms, well, that takes up a HUGE plot of panel real estate, and it would work better in a 2 x 104...not this. Next: drums...just get a proper drum machine. Something like a Digitakt, etc would actually be MORE flexible in the end than trying to sacrifice part of the modular for a function that's better left to a stand-alone device. And in fact, you SHOULD be building in a much larger cab to start with...then you should pare down from there to arrive at the right case form factor.

Next, utility modules aren't a luxury...they're a NECESSITY. If there's none of them (like right now, for example), then trying to get the maximum horsepower out of the expensive crap will be an exercise in frustration. If you lack VCAs, attenuverters, logic (ESPECIALLY if you're doing major sequencing!), and so on, your rig will suck like an Electrolux! And you WILL come to loathe it. FYI, you'll notice I'm not including the Invy here; $100 for a dual attenuverter/offset is a tad much, and you should be able to get into something with identical functionality for less.

As for things that're right here...the FH-1 is a very good pick, and frankly, you might find that sequencing in software and then piping that to the modular via the FH-1 would be a better choice. It definitely cuts back your space usage. And the White Gallop would make for a great internal clock gen/mod, but this would be improved by a couple of orders of magnitude by adding some Boolean logic so that you can massively screw with the sequential timing. As for the rest, though...this is more of a "do over". Try some of the suggestions above (especially expanding the case size), and see what you think.

Thank you @Lugia for detailed feedback.

It would be foolish not to listen to experienced users as a beginner. Understood on the size of the rack. Expanding it will be wise and pair down from there.

I already own uModII but as this is my first move into the rack I'm not completely set on the set up and believe that it's better to take suggestions of more experienced users then try to learn through errors. I'm sure there will be plenty down the road anyway.

If I understand correctly it would be beneficial:
1. loose pico drum
2. no Circadian Rhythms (use stand alone machine)
3. need to add VCA (Erica synth is V2 is a good option here?), attenuators (something like Maths?) and logic (can Maths serve dual purpose for logic and attenuator)
4. Boolean logic by Adventure Audio?

Thank you again for the guidance.

get a quad cascading vca - such as veils or intellijel - either will be able to be 4 vcas, 4 external input amplifiers, a 2-4 channel voltage controlled mixer

Maths is a great module - but it is more than the sum of its parts - google the unofficial "maths illustrated manual"

kinks is another great module that will add a lot of functionality in a small space = including logic!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

get a quad cascading vca - such as veils or intellijel - either will be able to be 4 vcas, 4 external input amplifiers, a 2-4 channel voltage controlled mixer

Maths is a great module - but it is more than the sum of its parts - google the unofficial "maths illustrated manual"

kinks is another great module that will add a lot of functionality in a small space = including logic!
-- JimHowell1970

Thank you @JimHowell1970 just followed you on instagram

With your suggestions, updated rack looks like this. Appreciate the direction from both @Lugia and you
ModularGrid Rack

You've got the uModII already? Well, don't let it go! I've thought for a while that that was a superior piece of gear, especially due to the separate "SUM" and "DIFF" functions. Most ring mods don't let you go there, and if you can find a quadrature VCO to pair with it, you can get fairly close in behavior to a Bode Frequency Shifter. Not spot-on, but pretty close.

You've got the uModII already? Well, don't let it go! I've thought for a while that that was a superior piece of gear, especially due to the separate "SUM" and "DIFF" functions. Most ring mods don't let you go there, and if you can find a quadrature VCO to pair with it, you can get fairly close in behavior to a Bode Frequency Shifter. Not spot-on, but pretty close.
-- Lugia

Thank you @Lugia for your insights. Excited to try it. Trapezoid Thru Zero Quadrature VCO by Doepfer as a pair to uModII?

ModularGrid Rack

-- Lugia

Thank you @Lugia for your insights. Excited to try it. Trapezoid Thru Zero Quadrature VCO by Doepfer as a pair to uModII?
-- Iheartopone

Absolutely! While it's technically an audio source, that module would work. But a better quadrature modulation LFO would actually be Doepfer's A-143-9. Having that sort of phase-shifted modulation is an awesome tool that can work in a lot of places...effects, autopanning, stereo level modulation, and on and on.

Forever grateful for the guidance @Lugia. Cant wait to experiment.

this user has left ModularGrid

I have a Batumi quad LFO and IME/Harvestman Kermit MK3 modulation sources in my two setups and both are superb. The new Divkid 0chd looks great for a small powerhouse of modulation with 8 free flowing LFOs in a small 4hp module:

https://divkidvideo.com/ochd-the-second-divkid-eurorack-module/

That would be fun to add.