this user has left ModularGrid

So I am getting decent mileage out of having Kinks and Links in my setup. What improvements would you recommend for these areas to round out my setup? Open to ideas for modules in terms of utilities, tools, modulation and voices to fill up the rest of my 6U rack.

Here is what I have thus far:

ModularGrid Rack

Ornament & Crime, a sequential switch, and a matrix mixer might be good choices. A Disting might give you some good ideas too.

Thanks and I may swap out the SBG and Zeroscope to free up more space as I don't really use those two modules as much as I thought that I would. Waiting for others like Jim and Lugia to chime in what would be great additions as well. Thinking Disting EX+ PNW + sequential switch + Matrix mixer and maybe 1-2 more oscillators as the BIA and Cursus are more all in one modules and having a solid analog VCO and FM module would be great fun. Perhaps Plaits and Rings? IME Hertz Donut Mk3 looks great as well but it is digital.

Hi Sacguy71,

Not sure if you have perhaps these modules already, but perhaps two reasonable sized and nice oscillators to consider? Intellijel - Dixie 2+ and Make Noise - STO. STO I have it myself and for any large patch (multiple voices) I almost always include the STO. Dixie 2+ is high on my wish list and I have high expectations of that one too.

Have fun with the rack planning and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thanks and I may swap out the SBG and Zeroscope to free up more space as I don't really use those two modules as much as I thought that I would. Waiting for others like Jim and Lugia to chime in what would be great additions as well. Thinking Disting EX+ PNW + sequential switch + Matrix mixer and maybe 1-2 more oscillators as the BIA and Cursus are more all in one modules and having a solid analog VCO and FM module would be great fun. Perhaps Plaits and Rings? IME Hertz Donut Mk3 looks great as well but it is digital.
-- sacguy71
There's nothing wrong with digital - plaits and rings are digital too!!!
Personally I would go for the Disting EX, PNW, sequential switch and a matrix mixer - and then stop

spend a bit of time researching which vco (if you really want another vco) to get - take your time - watch videos - and only buy when you cannot not buy

or alternatively get one of the three oscillators you like at the moment and then stop (Rings - it's an effect as well as a voice)

on a side note I have both rings and plaits - if I could only keep one it would be rings

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

A sequencer? How do you play this anyway? Drive everything from the LFO?

@JimHowell1970,

Many thanks your advice is always solid and on point. No rush, I still am watching videos on Piston Honda MK3, Hertz Donut and have used the Plaits and other MI modules in VCVRack. These seem like fun great VCOs to get or perhaps another complex oscillator like the Verbos or Instruo for my setup. Another one that looks fun is the Rossum Trident Oscillator. Good to know about Rings vs Plaits. What exactly does Rings do? I love Plaits well at least the one in the VCVRack software that I messed around a bit as well as Marbles and Elements.

@the-erc,

I have multiple sequencers that I use externally:

Varigate 4+ in other rack
Make Noise 0-ctrl
Korg SQ-1
Elektron Analog 4 MK2 with CV control
Elektron Octatrack via MIDI to CV

I do have fun also using LFO and Quadrax to drive things which I've done a few times for fun experiments which has quite interesting effects. Of these sequencers, my least favorite is the Varigate 4+ man that thing sucks balls and is a royal PITA to get decent precise sequencing done. Strangely enough, the Korg SQ-1 has the best overall ease of use and gets the job done well as do the sequencers in the Elektron Analog 4. The 0-ctrl from Make Noise is very fun sort of a mini Rene meets Pressure Points without the cartesian features of the Rene. I like using that as a mini keyboard. Modules like the Doepfer A110-2 Basic VCO, Richter Anti-Oscillator and Noise Engineering Cursus Iteritas work well to create sequenced leads, pads or bass lines with it.

The Korg SQ-1 and Elektron Analog 4 do well sequence drum stuff like my Noise Engineering BIA.

No rush as I spent a huge amount already on two 6U racks and one is completely full that has Doepfer A100 Basic System modules and other ones I added and the second 6U is half full.

Good comments above. I second the recommendation for Ornament & Crime--my most flexible and useful module. I love the ZeroScope and can't patch without it. It is critical for designing CV and for debugging patches when they don't work as I had planned.

Just bought a monome crow today and I can see it's going to be the centerpiece of any generative stuff I try to do. Not too hard to learn how to make it work either, but you've gotta know a little code.

Nice, yeah I have O&C and Disting EX on my list since they both do a ton of things in one module. Disting has ability to be a switch, quantizer, sample player, FX like delay and way more. I like how O&C has tons of tools as well. Which version of the O&C do you guys recommend as they are made by various modular companies? Rings is cool and I've been messing around with it and Plaits on VCVRack to get a feel for how it works before I buy it. Also Qu-bit Surface is similar I think. Really digging what I see thus far on the Hexinverter Mutant Machine which is analog based and like complex oscillator and can do percussion and drones. So perhaps Rings plus Mutant Machine and utilities would be great way for me to round out my second case for techno, house, drones, generative and rhythm based stuff perhaps add PNW for clocking and small trigger sequencer like VPME Euclidian Circles? My setup would greatly benefit from a bass and drum percussion module as I find that BIA is great but needs another one and Cursus not great for bass or percussion. Zeroscope is great module and small in case. I am not using the SBG much so may remove that and add FX module like Happy Nerding FX Aid.