So, I'm new to eurorack, but not new to hardware synths. I already own a whole bunch of semi-modular gear and I just ordered a rackbrute 6u to fill up. I wanted to make a wavetable and/or granular synth with eurorack, so I've ordered an Erica synths black wavetable VCO. I also already ordered all the other modules in this setup, except for the Bastle grandpa and the Expert Sleepers disting mk4, which will probably be next modules to order.

I will be sequencing it with my Elektron analog four mk1 and/or my keystep. I also already own a KOMA elektronik fieldkit and fieldkit FX that I can use as submixers. With my analog 4 and my fieldkit I also already have a lot of modulation sources.

I already spend a few hours researching youtube and modular grid, to get to this setup, but it's always nice to hear opinions of experienced eurorack users. So what do you think of this setup in combination with an Elektron analog four, fieldkit and fieldkit FX? Would this make an interesting synth? Would you add anything to make it more interesting?

Just a heads up that the Bastl Grandpa has an expander module called Spa if you want to get the most out of it. You can use CV to control extra parameters that aren't easily accessible on the main module.

Thanks for the tip. :)

great idea only plan to fill half the case - then work out what you need - brilliant!! really much better than filling the case totally with junk

a pass but still a low grade due to the ordering of modules before asking and for not including the rack wart (power module) - I think I might have just invented that term "rack wart" I like it... I really hope it takes off - applies particularly to hideous needlessly massive shameless marketing stunt monstrosities - such as that supplied with the arturia rackbrutes

I wouldn't have bought any of these modules or the case - but there you go - it's your modular

at least it's not a palette!!!

So, I'm new to eurorack, but not new to hardware synths. I already own a whole bunch of semi-modular gear and I just ordered a rackbrute 6u to fill up. I wanted to make a wavetable and/or granular synth with eurorack, so I've ordered an Erica synths black wavetable VCO. I also already ordered all the other modules in this setup, except for the Bastle grandpa and the Expert Sleepers disting mk4, which will probably be next modules to order.

get the ex not the mk4 - you have space and it is way more than twice the module

I will be sequencing it with my Elektron analog four mk1 and/or my keystep. I also already own a KOMA elektronik fieldkit and fieldkit FX that I can use as submixers. With my analog 4 and my fieldkit I also already have a lot of modulation sources.

so you would think - probably for now yes - but you will either want more or ways of combining and modifying the modulation sources you do have before filling the rack

I already spend a few hours researching youtube and modular grid, to get to this setup, but it's always nice to hear opinions of experienced eurorack users. So what do you think of this setup in combination with an Elektron analog four, fieldkit and fieldkit FX? Would this make an interesting synth? Would you add anything to make it more interesting?
-- SolNoctis

you spent a few hours?!?!?! - hahaha hahaha and you seem to consider that "a lot of effort" hahahahaha and you spent 1200€ or so hahahaha

again I will point you back to the i wouldn't have bought any of these modules and ask first before parting with cash!!

maybe maybe I would have bought the erica wavetable - you need a vco and it's a vco - no opinion on it other than that
why 2 filters?
why only a dual vca? you can never have enough vcas!!!! obviously you didn't spend enough time on you tube (MylarMelodies video) - well maybe you can have enough (eventually) but as a first vca a quad cascading one like veils or intellijel is a better buy as they are more versatile
why adsrs? mostly ads are used in modular - unless you are "playing a keyboard"!
do you need attenuators and multiples in the rack yet - probably not
why grandpa - wait until clouds 2 arrives check that out first - it will be soon - maybe even this year!!!
why disting mk4 when EX exists?

to make this more rack more interesting quickly - add a another vco (something cheap and analogue, the doepfer basic one is fine or dreadbox or whatever) - add kinks - add a matrix mixer (doepfer is good but large - so maybe an AISynthesis one) - maths - really add maths and weep at the lack of space in the puny rack with the 5hp rack wart - add a fx aid or better yet fx aid xl or 2 - get a waveshaper - get a sequential switch - get a random modulation source - get a chaotic modulation source - get some sub mixers - or don't - play with what you have and learn it inside out

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thanks for the feedback.

you spent a few hours?!?!?! - hahaha hahaha and you seem to consider that "a lot of effort" hahahahaha and you spent 1200€ or so hahahaha

Well, I'm not claiming this took tons of effort to build, as it is only a minimal beginners eurorack setup to add to an already existing and constantly changing semi-modular setup. I know building a perfect eurorack takes years of research and buying modules to achieve something special, and that it is something that just can not be done in just a few hours. I'm just claiming I didn't go buy some random modules, without know what I'm buying. And I did ask myself first what I want to build and what I needed to buy to do that. I also researched the 'cons' of the rackbrute before buying the case with the wart.

maybe maybe I would have bought the erica wavetable - you need a vco and it's a vco - no opinion on it other than that

I first had the waldorf nw-01 in mind as a VCO. The erica just seemed to sound better to my ears.

why 2 filters?

Most of my favourite synths have 2 filters. I mostly use a first one to modulate the frequency with a lot of resonance, and than a second lowpass to just roll off the access of harshness of the resonance.

why only a dual vca? you can never have enough vcas!!!! obviously you didn't spend enough time on you tube (MylarMelodies video) - well maybe you can have enough (eventually) but as a first vca a quad cascading one like veils or intellijel is a better buy as they are more versatile

I could also use the fieldkit FX as extra VCA's, I think? It's a starter setup. I can always add more later, not?

why adsrs? mostly ads are used in modular - unless you are "playing a keyboard"!
If I'd play it with the keystep ADSR envelopes would be better than AD envelopes, right?

I'd use the attenuators and multiples to split and control modulation sources of the analog 4. Maybe I don't need them yet in this minimal setup, but they were cheap anyway, and I reckon they will become handy later if the setup grows.

why grandpa - wait until clouds 2 arrives check that out first - it will be soon - maybe even this year!!!
why disting mk4 when EX exists?

Will be looking into those as alternatives. Thanks!

to make this more rack more interesting quickly - add a another vco (something cheap and analogue, the doepfer basic one is fine or dreadbox or whatever) - add kinks - add a matrix mixer (doepfer is good but large - so maybe an AISynthesis one) - maths - really add maths and weep at the lack of space in the puny rack with the 5hp rack wart - add a fx aid or better yet fx aid xl or 2 - get a waveshaper - get a sequential switch - get a random modulation source - get a chaotic modulation source - get some sub mixers - or don't - play with what you have and learn it inside out
-- JimHowell1970

Any opinions on marbles?

well I was taking the piss a bit!!! - most people claim they've spent a long time researching - when it is obvious that they haven't - or at least they have been researching in the wrong places - 6 months looking at videos of tiny focused cases that are one patch wonders - does not equal adequate research!!!

I always try and look as far ahead as possible for what modules I may want - so that if I buy/build a vca (or mixer or any other utility) I get one that is big enough for future requirements - which is why I recommend a quad cascading vca to beginners - but no harm in a smaller one - just my advice, which you can take or leave as you see fit - but do take a look at the "Jim and Lugia were right thread"!!!

as I probably stated above just get a few modules to start with and grow slowly - a sound source, a sound modifier, a modulation source, a way to play, a way to listen and a case

Marbles is great I use it in every patch near enough - currently with a branches attached to t2 (for skip/open/close hats) and a sinfonion as an extra external quantizer for the x section (not that you need a quantizer - as Marbles has 3 already) - if you like generative music then this is a great place to start

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I'd use the attenuators and multiples to split and control modulation sources of the analog 4. Maybe I don't need them yet in this minimal setup, but they were cheap anyway, and I reckon they will become handy later if the setup grows.
-- SolNoctis

Personal opinion : attenuators are a total waste of money and, more importantly, HP. Instead get an Attenuverter + Offset module.
- Cheap option : Ladik U-012 Dual Attenuverter + DC
- Three channels and it's also a mixer : Happy Nerding 3 x MIA
- Similar but different : Frap Tools 321
- More flexible routing and it also a 4 quadrant amplifier : Befaco a*b + c
If you really want three passive attenuators you can find much smaller and cheaper version alternatives the Behringer inhere. (Cheaper than Behringer?! True!)

In my small setup, I never had a use for multiples -- I use stack cables. OTOH switched multiples are a whole different proposition. This one is no bigger than the one you picked, also has 8 ports and has 3-position switches for all the outputs. It's a kit but it is super easy, even I managed it.

this user has left ModularGrid

Don't mind Jim, he means well. In fact, I really appreciate his candid honesty. I took advice and Kinks and Links are wonderful modules that do soo much in patches and take up small amount of space. I also have Elektrons to sequence but modular sequencers are sooo much more fun! I recommend something like Mimetic Digitalis or Intellijel Steppy as they do a lot in little space for sequencer. I highly recommend you get a free copy of the VCVRack software it really helps you plan and try out modules of different types and combos. I discovered Mutable Instruments that way and it helps me better understand what changes would do to my setups before I spend any money. If you want a modular sequencer and don't want to use rack space, get a Korg SQ-1, it is dirt cheap and a powerful starter sequencer with multiple gate/cv patch points that can do 8-16 step sequencing. I love mine.