I've been building this rack for a couple of months now and I finally got the Midi 1U on Friday, so I could sync it directly with the DAW and do some recording. I threw together this patch and hit the record button. I did a lot of manual modulating while it was running. I added a drum track in the DAW, a Taurus Pedal bass line, and because it wasn't busy enough already I layered in a short sequence from my Rev 2 as well in the middle.

The goal was more about process, technicals and logistics than it was about musicality, but I hope there some of that to be found here.

Here's the tune, the rack and the patch notes. Feedback welcome. Cheers.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/75225
ModularGrid Rack

Modular Jam Feb 27, 2021 Patch Notes

Master Clock from DAW (Studio One 5)

Voice 1 Routing
• Tempo from PNW into Arturia Keystep
• Keystep Sequence Pitch Out into Erica Black VCO 2 1v/Oct
• Saw out into QPAS Left
• Pulse out into QPAS Right
• QPAS LPF Left and Right into Quad VCA
• Envelopes from Quadrax
• Quad VCA into Mixer
• Mixer channels panned hard left and right
• Mixer into Mimeophon
• Mimeophon to Main Outs

Voice 1 Modulation:
• PNW LFO into QPAS Frequency
• Quadrax LFO into QPAS Radiate Left
• Quadrax LFO into QPAS Radiate Right

Voice 2 Routing
• Tempo from PNW
• Mother 32 Sequencer to internal saw wave
• M32 VCO Pulse out into External input
• Mix at 50%
• M32 VCA out into Quad VCA
• Quad VCA to Mixer
• Mixer to Mimeophon
• Mimeophon to Main Outs

Voice 2 Modulation:
• M32 Internal LFO triangle on PWM and Cutoff
• PNW LFO into M32 VCO Mod Amount
• Maths into M32 LFO Rate

Voice 3 Routing
• Mother 32 Sequencer KB out to Plaits
• Plaits into Ripples
• Ripples into Quad VCA
• Envelope from Maths Ch 1
• Quad VCA into Mixer
• Mixer into Mimeophon
• Mimeophon to Main Outs

Voice 3 Modulation:
• PNW LFO into Plaits Timbre
• PNW LFO into Ripples Frequency
• Maths Ch 4 into Rise of Ch 1
• PNW tempo into Maths Ch 1 trig

Mimeophon Tempo sync from PNW
Mimeophon in Ping Pong mode

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Oh that's a great jam! Lovely voices you are using here. By the way, how did you manage to do the drums & percussion?

Thanks a lot for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Really like the smooth shifting of timbres in this track. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Garfield, Farkas. I think I'm starting to wrap my head around this thing. I can't wait to get more comfortable with what modular can do and expand. I was lamenting the lack of availability of many modules that look amazing, but it's probably good to stagger new pieces to have a chance to learn what I have, and go easier on the wallet.

Garfield - after spending so much time in the past meticulously programming drums, I started using the EZDrummer VST. It has so many great complex patterns to work with and customize and it sounds great IMO. Since this track was more of a process experiment I didn't spent a lot of time on the drums, just something to add a solid beat.

The Evolvers track on my SoundCloud has many more fills and other drum bits - especially in the Subsequent 37 solo section starting at around the 5 minute mark.

Cheers

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Oh wow, that's a lovely and beautiful track and nice loooonggg! :-)

Well, keep the good stuff coming, I can't wait for it! Thank you very much and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Thank you! I have always loved long-form music which started when I first heard Yes and Rush back in the 70s... I'm working on a long ambient piece at the moment. I'm hoping to wrap it up shortly. Cheers.

Hi TumeniKnobs,

Oh yes, those good old times... the 70's :-) Yes and Rush indeed and don't forget that long Telegraph Road number from Dire Straits ;-) But that was already the early 80's...

Oh long ambient, nice! Don't forget the "new rule" here that ambient needs to be 17 minutes or longer ;-) Can't wait for that and kind regards, Garfield.

Nice one, well done, enjoyed listening to it. Comical and a bit quirky at times :)