Considering I only got into synths at all for the filters it's unacceptable to have only two* filters in my rack. I need another, pronto. I don't have a lot of space so big beasts like the QPAS or Beograd are out of the question. I'm looking at the Erica Pico VCF1 as a characterful option or the Doepfer A-121-3 for more versatility.

What's your favourite small filter? Let's say small means less than 8hp.

[*] My current filters : Nano Modules Font and Doepfer A-101-2, which is technically an LPG but can be used a straight up LPF with a very nice sound.

I don't have one but I'd love to get a Steve's MS-22

Below 8hp, I've been impressed with and considered getting a Bastl Cinnamon. At 8hp, I have a hard time arguing against MI Ripples for features and sound quality per hp.

-- troux

Seen some demos, seems good for dirty and overdriven, but can it do anything else?

Can't say, but I could use a little more of that vibe which is why I want it. If you want range I should throw out Intellijel's Polaris even though it's 10HP, it can get pretty squawky but can stay clean and smooth too. Definitely a good one.

At 8hp, I have a hard time arguing against MI Ripples for features and sound quality per hp.
-- farkas

I have the (perhaps wrong) idea that Ripples and Font probably sound pretty similar.

Of course once you go to 8hp there are so many Doepfers to choose from!

I have the (perhaps wrong) idea that Ripples and Font probably sound pretty similar.

Of course once you go to 8hp there are so many Doepfers to choose from!

-- the-erc

Probably fairly similar. Ripples has FM, and a 4-pole low pass with VCA, but I imagine they're in the same ballpark. The Doepfer SEM sounds great too. As much as I like the unique Wasp sound, I've read a lot of stories of that particular filter burning up.

This: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-delta-vcf-8hp

Same OTA filter topology as in the Korg Poly-61, two-input mixer, plus you get either LP or BP modes, all for a whopping $140. And yeah, this WILL have some character that normally you don't hear in smaller VCFs.

I’m impressed with everything G-Storm Electro makes. This one and the Oberheim clone sound outstanding.

Hi The-Erc,

If you are willing to spend 8 HP then I can advise two filters.

1) Well okay LPG then :-) The Make Noise - Optomix with 8 HP not too bad.

2) The Doepfer - A-124 Wasp filter, for a full review report please download the PDF from my below link:

https://garfieldmodular.net/index.php/doepfer/doepfer-a-124-1/

Below 8 HP it's getting seriously difficult, no other filter worth mentioning comes to my mind with less than 8 HP.

Good luck with the search for a good yet small filter and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

the two LPG's by MRG Synths are good fun, 4hp and very low priced

The Zlob Modular SVF is super small and super Nasty. I choose this for my small skiff, but the bastl cinnamon seems to be also a great choice for tiny filters. Also from what I heard filters are a very personal thing so you might need to find a way to try one out first. (or buy them all ;) )

I have one of the intelligel's µVCF and I'm more than happy with it. It's 6hp and comes at a reasonable price, though it's a 2-pole filter and may not have the character of some of the filters already suggested, it can show some attitude too with FM and self-patching.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. I will do some further research.

@zuggamasta -- I have seen the Zlob SVF in your videos. Yes. :)

@farkas -- I actually bought a second hand Doepfer Wasp, but it arrived not working properly so perhaps you are right about its flakiness.

@GarfieldModular (or anyone) what's the difference between the OptoMix and the LxD? Just the Damp control? (Which is a slew limiter, right?) These are interesting but lack of resonance control seems a loss.

Anyone tried the WMD C4RBN? (or whatever it is called). Its tiny buttons put me off, but the demos sounds decent.

mostly the problem with wasp filters is that one of the chips dies - it doesn't happen that often from what I can make out - it's socketed so an easy replacement - no soldering required and the chips are cheap from what I can remember

20 seconds on google and I found it to be a CD4069 chip that fails - the originals are TI, but apparently ST or MCI have significantly better longevity - buy a few and you should be good

I only looked quickly at mouser - the TI chips are 0,52€ each or 10 for 4,39€ + tax and shipping

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

This: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-delta-vcf-8hp
-- Lugia

Watched the demo. I see why you like it!

I really love the WMD C4RBN, analog, multi mode, 4hp and with wave folding and saturation options.

-- troux

Seen some demos, seems good for dirty and overdriven, but can it do anything else?

-- the-erc

It can also do clean sounds, but many people like the dirty stuff, hence why there's so many demos showing off that sound. If you want an example of the cleaner sounds, check out the sound sample that's part of Steve O'Hear's review

@sohear/review-steves-ms-22-a-eurorack-filter-by-threetom-modular-86cd2950e235" target="_blank">https://medium.com/@sohear/review-steves-ms-22-a-eurorack-filter-by-threetom-modular-86cd2950e235

it doesn't happen that often from what I can make out

I'm at the second chip failure in less than two years...

yeah but at 50c/year it's not that much of a hassle is it?

just buy a bag of ics when you buy the module!!

I'm considering one and that would be my plan!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

If you want an example of the cleaner sounds, check out the sound sample that's part of Steve O'Hear's review

-- tverscho

Yes it does sound very nice, thanks for the link. Also sold out at Three Tom. Guess I'll keep an eye on eBay...

If you want an example of the cleaner sounds, check out the sound sample that's part of Steve O'Hear's review

-- tverscho

Yes it does sound very nice, thanks for the link. Also sold out at Three Tom. Guess I'll keep an eye on eBay...

-- the-erc

I think you'll have more success sending me an e-mail at info [at] threetom [dot] com instead of waiting for one to pop up on Ebay :). AFAIK, only one MS-22 has ever been offered on the second hand market in the past year ;).