Hi, I'd like to work with a module that has inharmonic (Non integer) partials. So far it looks like a module close to what I'm looking for is the Harmonic Shift Oscillator by New System Instruments. I'm not sure if it does exactly what I want, but if I understand the module correctly It has a Harmonic Shift knob that alters how spread the partials are. I'm trying to replicate the results in this video (which are in turn from the book Tuning Timbre Spectrum Scales)
Also fun bonus fact: The idea that consonance is based on simple integer ratios is a pure misconception! That's exciting if you ask me (see video).

I should clarify, I'm not just looking to make octave sound dissonant, I'm looking to synthesize sounds that will sound good in any tuning, which means it would be best to synthesize them at the Spectra level. Other than this Harmonic Shift Oscillator, I assume that an appropriate module would probably be an FM or Additive synth/oscillator.

Hi, I also dabble in inharmonic sounds and got two modules for it:
ModularGrid Rack

1) Harmonic Shift Oscillator
As you mentioned, it allows you to change the harmonic stride in the range from 0.0 to 4.0. A natural, harmonic sound would have a stride of 1.0. This parameter can even be CV controlled and is a really funky and unique feature of the module. Be aware that you need at least two of those modules to make the kind of experimental intervals as shown in the video you posted.
With the HSO It's pretty easy to generate bass sounds that have a gnarly bass guitar feel to it, by using a slightly inharmonic stride (e.g., 1.05) . As with low piano strings, bass guitar strings have a noticeable inharmonicity due to the stiffness of the strings.

2) Dreadbox Antiphon
This comes with 8 sinus oscillators which you can use to build up complex sounds by mixing them together and adjusting the frequency of each harmonic to your liking. However, you need to tune the range and offset for all 8 oscillators which is really difficult and time consuming and you need some external tuner or spectrum viewer to do that properly.

It's definitely NOT modular...but from my experiences in both hardware and the present-day software versions, the Synclavier is the sine qua non for this sort of harmonic series tinkerage. And nowadays, it's no more expensive than a typical multi-VCO module: https://www.arturia.com/synclavier-v/overview

And if you MUST make it part of a modular setup, then you can either cobble up a way for Silent Way/Volta or Ableton CV Tools to talk to it...or you can use VCV Rack and the included Host modules. Definitely loads easier to integrate as software than it EVER was in hardware, from my experiences.

I don’t know of options in the modular domain, but an interesting VST option is Infinite Pro http://wolfgangpalm.com/infinitepro.html
I believe all the Palm VSTs are being transitioned over to Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

(Later) ... so I went back and watched that video. Very interesting and also well done. Personally if I was to work musically in the directions implied by the video I would do that in software with supporting Excel calculations (like the video author) for precision and confidence in nonstandard tunings that complement a given timbre. I finding getting tuning and timbre stability in modular hard enough with conventional tunings; I can’t imagine trying to pull off what’s done in the video in modular. But of course that’s my view only.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing! Good luck.

I don’t know of options in the modular domain, but an interesting VST option is Infinite Pro http://wolfgangpalm.com/infinitepro.html
I believe all the Palm VSTs are being transitioned over to Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

(Later) ... so I went back and watched that video. Very interesting and also well done. Personally if I was to work musically in the directions implied by the video I would do that in software with supporting Excel calculations (like the video author) for precision and confidence in nonstandard tunings that complement a given timbre. I finding getting tuning and timbre stability in modular hard enough with conventional tunings; I can’t imagine trying to pull off what’s done in the video in modular. But of course that’s my view only.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing! Good luck.
-- nickgreenberg

Well In some ways, I'd like to try for the rougher approximations that go on in Javansese Gamelan, but with different tuning systems. If that happens with modular, I see it as a feature not a bug. I'll look into all these software solutions too, and perhaps even try my hand at developing a software solution.

Hi, I also dabble in inharmonic sounds and got two modules for it:
2) Dreadbox Antiphon
This comes with 8 sinus oscillators which you can use to build up complex sounds by mixing them together and adjusting the frequency of each harmonic to your liking. However, you need to tune the range and offset for all 8 oscillators which is really difficult and time consuming and you need some external tuner or spectrum viewer to do that properly.
-- oOCc

I can't seem to find the antiphon for sale anywhere atm, I am a bit confused at how dreadbox is marketing it. Not it's functions, but like whether it's a long term product, or a kit etc.

I am spending the late hours with a sleepy cat, sparkling wine and my Five12 Vector Sequencer manual. Who said the pandemic can’t be exciting!

FYI p.6 says Vector supports any custom tuning in the MTS (midi tuning specification) format. So Vector would offer you a very powerful sequencer that supports custom tunings. Not only could this give you your fundamental pitch values but because Vector supports multiple independent parts, you could use the additional part pitch information to drive settings for your upper timbral partials. So maybe all you need is a great sequencer that supports multiple parts in nonstandard tunings, some OSCS with great pitch tracking, a tuner to help you tune OSCS to get your initial timbre, and a MST tuning file that supports your desired timbre and complementary scale. This might save you the need of finding very specialized oscillators. An option worth thinking about anyway.

Cheers!

I agree with some of the above posts, that for really precise inharmonic spectra and corresponding tuning, you should use software synthesizers. It should be relatively easy to come up with inharmonic, additive synths and custom tuning in PureData and bring that to some programmable DSP module like Befaco Lich: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/befaco-lich

However, if you want the challenge and stay in the analog domain, then there is another option. You can use any standard VCO and route its output through a frequency shifter. When you couple the FM input of the VCO with the right amount of frequency shifting CV you can get inharmonic spectra and custom tuning. The downside is that high quality analog frequency shifters are expensive modules: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/cwejman-fsh-1-

Y'know, what we REALLY need here is a multichannel quantizer that can accept/understand Scala tuning tables. Maybe blow 'em in via a USB connection...? I don't think such a critter exists at present so if any module developers are reading this...well, you get the idea.

Disting Mk 4 (from version 4.4?) supports one channel of CV quantizing with scala files.
Disting EX would do two channels.

Forgot Tubbutec uTune . No mention of scala but built-in scale editor and they mention future multi-channel support.

BTW what about using a standard sequencer but routing the results through scaling and transposition?

Modules: vermona Amplinuator would give you scaling including over 1x, "AJH synth precision voltages" would give transposition.

From the Ideas described in video above I think this might give you a solution in modular. Might be a pain to calibrate or dial in initially. But IMO this could work!? This is a potential solution only for the tuning side of the problem; what remains is the OSC to get a suitable timbre. That said, I would think the complex OSCs with FM (or any good FM implementation) would give you good options for getting inharmonic yet tracking partials.

I've been thinking about how to use my sequencers for stuff other than pitch control; routing them through attenuverter with offset is a good option for me to try. Made me think again of this thread.

Please let us know if you have progress on your effort. Good luck!

wouldnt any of the available wavetable vcos that load user tables be perfectly suited for this job?
that way you could use the whole studio to generate the spectra you want, then pick and choose within the rack

electricity comes from other planets

It could, but you'd still have to generate the wavetable somehow. But arriving at inharmonic partials is actually going to be REALLY easy as soon as Uli starts tossing those $199 Frequency Shifters out the door. This sort of sound design is precisely what Harald Bode's amazing but normally-expensive-AF device is for.

the bode shifter doesnt even have an external shift input, cmon -_0
i'll believe those things are real when they show video, quite a few of them mockup photos have been built but by no means all

the bode shifter doesnt even have an external shift input, cmon -_0
-- moremagic

Sooooo... what might those three CV inputs do, then? One of those controls doesn't necessarily need that, but the others do...and also, there doesn't really seem to be space for the entire line of nomenclature that you'd normally see on a full-on 5U panel. At least, not if one likes reading panel labels without a microscope...

im not talking about CV inputs, im talking about another Dome filter to accept a 2nd external signal to shift the frequency by, replacing the internal VCO, like the Buchla frequency shifters have. no Bode unit has implemented this feature afaik

Well, let's look at this in more practical terms, then.

Buchla 285e = $1599 (wrong format)
Club of the Knobs 1630 clone = EUR 970 (wrong format)
Synth-werk's 1630 clone = EUR 1950 (also the wrong format)
Encore Frequency Shifter = $399 (but it IS Eurorack)
Modcan Dual FS = $349 (and two channels...this is the closest in terms of price vs function to the Behringer)
Synthesis Technology E560 = $339 (not purely an FS, though)
Tokyo Tape Music Center 185 = $580 (clone of the original Buchla 185)
Cwejman FSH-1 = $680

...and the Behringer comes in at $199. But with the possible exception of the Buchla 285e, you're dealing with small-run devices, which increases the cost. Behringer appears to be using their usual board fab methods, though, and it's far cheaper to have boards stuffed via automation and wave-soldered.

And in truth, if I could have any frequency shifter I wanted, I'd try and source the mid-70s standalone unit from 360 Systems. Of all of them that I've heard or used, IT is the best...with any cloned Bode-type coming in next. But if you've ever tried to find one of those 360 Systems ones, you'd know that it was something of a fool's errand to locate one. They almost NEVER appear on the used market.

almost thought you was serious til you suggested modcan. good one lmao

im not talking about CV inputs, im talking about another Dome filter to accept a 2nd external signal to shift the frequency by, replacing the internal VCO, like the Buchla frequency shifters have. no Bode unit has implemented this feature afaik
-- moremagic

Freak Shift from Sketchy Labs has 2 Dome filters.

Y'know, what we REALLY need here is a multichannel quantizer that can accept/understand Scala tuning tables. Maybe blow 'em in via a USB connection...? I don't think such a critter exists at present so if any module developers are reading this...well, you get the idea.
-- Lugia

This would be pretty simple in a Monome Crow...

Or something else I ran across might be useful there as well. Over on KVR, there's a Scala format "tuning bank" plugin: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/scala-creator-by-homegrown-sounds $22, and I'm thinking that it's certainly worth that. Using that, you should be able to blow Scala tuning tables into most anything that can accept them.