it depends, which module are you thinking of?

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Thank you for the suggestions.

At this time I'm restricting myself to the 104hp (for space and budget reasons) but maybe in the future will expand to a 2nd row of 104hp.

@Lugia Sounds like utilities/modulations sources are the way to go with the limited space I have. When I first saw you recommended After Later DVCA I was a bit surprised as I already have the Quad VCA. But just last night I noticed I was using all 4 VCAs and now see how the additional 2 on the DVCA would be useful.

re: the 4ms Listen I/O, this looks useful but I probably will not use the input as the only thing I really use my rack with is the sq-1 or a Neutron. But I like the output as I use headphones so I'm considering the PICO output as it is only 3hp and has the output which I could use if I ever decide to record anything. Right now I'm just using a cheap headphone attenuator plugged into my VCA with my headphones.

2 other utilities I am considering along with what you have suggested are the Intellijel Triplatt and the Happy Nerding 3x MIA (although I can't find that one on sale anywhere).

Oh and I forgot to mention I do have a Korg nts-1 so I think I can use that for reverb/delay etc...

@33PO Marbles looks interesting and I'd consider adding that but at 18hp for the one module I think I'll need to wait until I have another row of rack space to add that one. I've looked at Pamela's New Workout and see that people highly recommend it, but I am trying to avoid menu driving which is why I'm not really looking at the disting mk4 either.

thanks again everyone!

If a module has an AC input and also a DC input...could another AC signal be routed using the DC input?

JB

So, after messing with VCV rack for a bit now, I'm thinking of getting into hardware. I'm interested in experimental/ambient/noise/general sound exploration and also using the system to process guitar and maybe other instruments/audio.

I went with the Mantis size rack after seeing people recommend that on here. Although I'm thinking maybe starting out with a smaller system could be a good idea, too... something like one of those small powered Doepfer 48hp or 84hp cases. Obviously, it's a trade off in terms of being able to grow your system but also probably not a bad idea to start smaller and not invest so much money right off the bat and not have so much at your fingertips right away.

I have other gear I could potentially integrate such as a keystep, behringer model D, moog grandmother, digitakt. Didn't really look too much into percussion modules. But maybe a simple one could be nice to have in this system.

Other modules I'm interested in are the morphagene and arhbar which seem similar but don't know if they overlap too much with beads.

Thanks!

ModularGrid Rack

Great little module! Top quality and presentation, and excellent communication from the makers as well.

My new composition made with eurorack modular.
Viscous and fuzzy ambient recorded on a tape.
Logic Pro X for post-processing.
Better to listen with headphones. More explanations below video on YouTube.

i fell backwards into modular a few months back...

Oh, hell! Did it take the paramedics long to dig all of the patchcables out of your back, or...

i have no idea what i'm doing.

but i made this a couple nights ago. this is a single track recording of a live jam... i popped a microphone into my amp box and the record button on audacity, then recorded that output into my iiphone.

again, no idea what the hell i'm supposed to do here.

-- beeb

DON'T question the process. That would be Rule #1 here.

If you've arrived at a musical point where you're flowing on the twin engines of "beginner's mind" and "intuition", then you actually DO know what you're doing, you just haven't figured out how to communicate that to yourself. Continue working along those same lines; eventually, you'll figure out an entire set of your OWN rules and methods for composition with modular.

As for those terms..."beginner's mind" is right outta Buddhism. It's the principle that states that "beginners" can actually have a better idea of what to do when they know very little of what they're doing that with. As such, you're not constrained by a headful of rules and "accepted" methods, so you're more apt to create excellent work when you DON'T know those aspects. Also Public Image Ltd....where John Lydon, Keith Levene and Jah Wobble agreed that it was better for Levine to play guitar as if he had no idea how to play the guitar. Results there? Some VERY substantial additions to how to approach that instrument!

"Intuition", though...that's the "magic" at the core of improvisation, and something Karlheinz Stockhausen explored extensively in various works, starting in the mid-1960s ("Mikrophonie I") through the early 1970s and his ensemble works. Plus, there's two collections of his text pieces ("Aus den Sieben Tagen" and "Fur Kommende Zeiten") where musicians are supplied with a text, and their task is to allow a group-sense of intuitive action to arrive at a possible result. However, the interesting thing about those works is that they're surprisingly consistent. Back in the mid-1990s, I performed the first set's "Set Sail for the Sun" along with an ensemble...we totaled 6 people. And after some warm-up passes, we started arriving at fairly consistent results, and everyone was a bit nervous about that; were WE in control of the process, or vice-versa?

In 2002, I got a chance to discuss that with Johannes Fritsch, the violist on many of the ensemble projects from that period. I explained what was going on with those "cohesive" passes, and he smiled and simply noted "Ah...then you did that right!". Very, very interesting, indeed!

Smooth purchase of Befaco VC Slew from @SetProxy Would recommend!

And/or behaviour

Pamela's New Workout and/or Marbles are great for rhythmic/generative gates/CV

@Jim, thanks for the ideas! Lots of points you raised, I'll try to respond to the major ones below:
-- The Jolin LPG bank you mentioned is likely a great fit here.
-- "Mixing really needs to be addressed..." Agreed! Working backwards, ES8+6 give me 10 outs to DAW, I don't see myself needing more than that with this setup. Lots of potential ways to manage the up to 10 voices, let's say main options are 4 mono + 3 stereo pairs, or 6 mono + 2 stereo pairs. I have some spare Doepfer A-138N (4-ch narrow mixer) I could slot in, those can cover some mono needs. I'm inclined to get 1 Intellijel Mixup, which seems like a low $ and HP way to up the mix channel count, and a 2nd Mixup (if needed) could later be added and chained to the first. Also, SoundStage is a new module for me, I need some more soak time to get a sense of how I'll likely use it... I'm inclined to run a LOT of my pitched sources through it and treat it like a stereo sound-field out. Net net, my current sense is another 10-16HP devoted to mixing could really meet the needs for this setup.

quite possibly!

-- you mentioned CV mixing. On that end I've got Sum&Diff, SISM, and Morph4. Do you have a more preferred setup for CV mixing / mangling? I did see your suggestion of a matrix mixer, just wondering if there's anything more / less to your preferred CV mix setup?

good start, but I find matrix mixers to be incredibly useful for cv - take copies of n modulation sources and get n different, but related and more complex ones out - I have 2 in my system that's about 1200hp for audio at the moment - they're of the smaller 10hp variety (& diy) personally if I were going to buy again (add on more likely than upgrade) I'd go for either the doepfer (bigger and better ergonomics) and/or the 4ms vcam (cv controllable) and/or one of the nlc offerings (cluster/clump - again better ergonomics and/or cv control)

-- "low priority modules" and remaining space. As of today, I've got 95%+ of the modules above (most being re-racked from earlier cases into the new case). AND there's some fluidity between this setup and my home setup. My home setup has all its major functional needs covered, and some HP to spare, so if I want to pull a few items out of the travel rig (above) and slot them into the home rig, that works fine. BUT I think where we're netting out is I'll probably need to free up 16-26HP in the rig above for LPG and mixing additions. In my next few sessions with the setup, I'll focus on (top) rows 1-3 to check which of those modules I least need in this setup.

yeah I think that's where I'd be looking too... I'd much rather have fewer sound sources and be able to route them more places and effect them more than be sound source heavy... remember you can mult outputs to different filters/effects and the fx aid has pitch and frequency shifters etc so I'd probably throw one of those in too - probably instead of scales - not sure how much use you'd get especially as you seem to have a 'battleship' sequencer with the vector and expander - with pitch already quantized

-- likely next steps: add Jolin LPGs and a little more mixing capability, and get a bunch more soak time with the setup before other changes (if needed).

sounds like a plan...

have fun!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

filters - alm dual dagger - dual filter 6hp
-- JimHowell1970

I assume you mean Shakmat's Dual Dagger ;-) Amazing little module, 4 filters to play with !

-- toodee

yes - got the manufacturer wrong... old(ish) age...

@mbl77 you mean the noise engineering ones? thanks, this is solid advice, will look into them

+1 on the Mantis, as usual. And in fact, this build shows why:
ModularGrid Rack
The current build here is 1/2 of a Mantis. You'll notice that all of your modulators takes up about half a row, the voicing takes the other half. That's not TOO bad...but it means there's no room for FX, submixers, etc etc etc. BTW, that layout is cribbed from the Steiner-Parker Synthacon: modulation left, voicing right, but it avoids the "mix at center" issue that the Synthacon had. Plus, one other immediate point: the UliPlaits can be swapped out for pretty much ANYTHING that's smaller; you don't have room for a single 16 hp oscillator (with extra bits). There's barely enough room for the Maths, but it's far harder to "shrink".

Additions are: Doepfer A-154-4 quad LFO. There is the one on the 100M clone module, but I'm not all that jazzed by that module anyway. It takes up too much space for what it is; you could easily drop in a Xaoc Batumi and Zadar if the B. 100M and the quad LFO weren't in there, and that would give you four LFOs and four EGs. That's a little outside of the scope of this exercise, though.

Tenderfoot Ease and After Later DVCA. These are a (bare minimum) modulation manipulation core. These allow you to vary and/or invert modulation signals, place modulation under VCA control (VERY useful!), and in essence make your modulation sources...uh, more modulation sources.

4ms Listen I/O. This not only handles the drop from synth-level to line-level, it can also do the opposite in its input section, meaning that you can use the synth to process incoming audio.

So...it's workable, you can make it behave like a very basic monosynth with some extra trickery inside. It's still missing stuff that you would have space for in a Mantis, though.

@Lugia, thanks for the suggestions and thumbs up!

@Jim, thanks for the ideas! Lots of points you raised, I'll try to respond to the major ones below:
-- The Jolin LPG bank you mentioned is likely a great fit here.
-- "Mixing really needs to be addressed..." Agreed! Working backwards, ES8+6 give me 10 outs to DAW, I don't see myself needing more than that with this setup. Lots of potential ways to manage the up to 10 voices, let's say main options are 4 mono + 3 stereo pairs, or 6 mono + 2 stereo pairs. I have some spare Doepfer A-138N (4-ch narrow mixer) I could slot in, those can cover some mono needs. I'm inclined to get 1 Intellijel Mixup, which seems like a low $ and HP way to up the mix channel count, and a 2nd Mixup (if needed) could later be added and chained to the first. Also, SoundStage is a new module for me, I need some more soak time to get a sense of how I'll likely use it... I'm inclined to run a LOT of my pitched sources through it and treat it like a stereo sound-field out. Net net, my current sense is another 10-16HP devoted to mixing could really meet the needs for this setup.
-- you mentioned CV mixing. On that end I've got Sum&Diff, SISM, and Morph4. Do you have a more preferred setup for CV mixing / mangling? I did see your suggestion of a matrix mixer, just wondering if there's anything more / less to your preferred CV mix setup?
-- "low priority modules" and remaining space. As of today, I've got 95%+ of the modules above (most being re-racked from earlier cases into the new case). AND there's some fluidity between this setup and my home setup. My home setup has all its major functional needs covered, and some HP to spare, so if I want to pull a few items out of the travel rig (above) and slot them into the home rig, that works fine. BUT I think where we're netting out is I'll probably need to free up 16-26HP in the rig above for LPG and mixing additions. In my next few sessions with the setup, I'll focus on (top) rows 1-3 to check which of those modules I least need in this setup.
-- likely next steps: add Jolin LPGs and a little more mixing capability, and get a bunch more soak time with the setup before other changes (if needed).

@Toodee, thanks for the clarification above, that sounds right.

Thanks a lot for the review and suggestions folks!

-- JimHowell1970

I assume you mean Shakmat's Dual Dagger ;-) Amazing little module, 4 filters to play with !

--- Voltage control all the things ---

reverb, delay, utilities...

bigger case... mantis is good

You could get a lot of mileage out of a Versio module. You can update the firmware to try them all out, so that gives you quite a few options.

hah, yeah I'm kind of thinking in that direction too, much as I'd prefer to have a compact solution. I've still got a diy case lying around with a Doepfer power supply that someone gave to me, so it's not like I don't have the space. :)

Hi All,

I recently put together a Eurorack using a Moog 104 case and I have 18 hp left. I was wondering what others would suggest I use that remaining space for.

I'm primarily interested in generative sounds, ambient soundscapes and rhythmical noise.

What are some of the modules that others would add to what I already have knowing that the limitation is only 18 hp?

Note that I have a Korg sq-1 so I don't need a sequencer in my rack. Also note that I don't actually have the Dixie VCO yet but plan to get in next month. It would replace the Behringer 110 to free up some space.

Thanks for any suggestions!

i fell backwards into modular a few months back during a lengthy study into the nature of continuous physical systems and chaotic resonance.

i've intentionally avoided forums, cultural events, and music-in-general for the last ~year as a means of incubating endogenous emergent patterns. i decide to build modules by reading their description and if the purpose is inscrutable then i buy it or build from schematic. manuals and instructions are discarded.

i have no idea what i'm doing.

but i made this a couple nights ago. this is a single track recording of a live jam... i popped a microphone into my amp box and the record button on audacity, then recorded that output into my iiphone.

again, no idea what the hell i'm supposed to do here.

the only thing programmed or sequenced is the kick and snare, which are happening at regular intervals. the remainder of the variation is either emergent from the system itself, or me twiddling on a time control delay knob, or a set of ADSR sliders. that's about it.

a colleague said that this sounds like something from the blade ii soundtrack but i think it sounds like complex nonsense.

Thanks, the cat appreciates it :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I'd completely agree on your priorities...

if you keep the 4ms modules you can always leave them in a drawer for a while see if you miss them or not before selling them! then the question is either: what to take out or get new case... my answer to this has always been new case... which is why I have 8 of them!

yeah I didn't know how to update the thumbnail ... if you click it you should get to the actual rack.

yep, ensemble & sampler. might keep them tho, still unsure. my priority is adding an es-8, some fx & possibly some useful utilities atm.

thumbnail & rack don't match - but as you say you have elements, I guess the rack is correct?

which 2 4ms modules to get rid of? the ensemble & the sampler?

hey guys, thanks a lot for both of your replies, I'm reading them attentively.

here's my current rack (click to expand): ModularGrid Rack

I've noticed that I am using mostly the elements, delay and erbeverb for sound design, and feeding in a lot of sound sources from my computer. Because of this workflow I really have come to think for me the way to go is to add some more effects modules and maybe even sell the two 4ms modules (much as I like them, just not using them much), hence the original post.

@Lugia: thanks for your suggestion but I really feel comfortable with using effects in modular like that, and for my workflow atm it makes a lot of sense to continue in this direction.

It's like an ode to fermentation (this interpretation is obviously under influence ;) Anyway, a nice track. Smooth and relaxing (not to mention the cat).

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

Hi Nick

wow that's a big case... I think I'd have gone for 2*9u instead of 1 big case... which would have left an extra row for expansion!

mixing really needs to be addressed... especially with so many voices

lpgs - take a look at the jolin labs - 8 in 6hp
switches - doepfer a151 - 4 way switch in 4hp

what are the low priority modules? which modules are you still to purchase, if any?

have you tried the harmonic oscillator in stages? might be able to replace the verbos - don't know never tried either...

do you really need the data - could you replace it with the korg - or vcv rack when you need a scope?

I count 37 audio rate outputs in the top 2 rows - some could do with sub-mixers by the look of it - maybe 3 or 4 4hp cp3 style ones...

doesn't seem to be much for cv mixing - obviously I'd want a matrix mixer...

I think we need to see how much space there really is for the mixing solution before working on it...

Mixing lanes: Jim's been big on the Tesseract TexMix series, and I've come to appreciate the simplicity and size aspects they've got. Plus, you can build onto a TexMix if/when necessary...with quad mono or stereo strip modules, and you also get a really nice AUX send/return implementation.

The only other thing that jumps out at me as far as changes to the present build is that you might want to move the buffered mult and precision adder in row #2 to the left end of the row. That way, they're a little more convenient (you don't have to dive into a patchcord jungle) and the cables to the oscillators can be dressed over the top of the unit if needed.

E370: Don't take it out! If it fits as well as it does here, then that's a sign you're doing something right.

Switching/logic: BassBow II might be able to do that, but it might be even more interesting to use a bunch of branched 3 or 4-step sequential switches (like Doepfer's A-151), and then drive them with various clocks. With that, you can whip up some really complicated sequencer line behavior. Screams for Boolean logic!

Ya done good, Nick!

I only have a VCA and the multi from XAOC, but I can feel you're totally right. The design is one of my faborutes on the Euro sphere, and yeah, I almost clicked "add to cart" a few times bout the Batumi. Odessa seems to be a wonderful generator...

-- -ADR-

And actually, one of their least snazzy modules is perhaps one of their very best: Bytom. I honestly don't know of any other pulse integrator in Eurorack that offers the capabilities this does for that price, with their excellent ergonomics in effect as usual. IMHO, if you've got a lot of clock manipulation and logic happening, the Bytom is a killer module.

Hi folks,

My new 15Ux126HP Case from Lake! has arrived, and with it I am re-racking some modules, and arriving at this:

ModularGrid Rack

I'm curious to hear your ideas on this and if there are any obvious improvements. Below I'll go through i) my purposes for this rig and ii) my current ideas for likely changes.

The purpose for this rig is to have an inspiring and powerful mobile rig, mainly for use at my GF's place in the company of her and the cats(!!!), but more broadly to have a good mobile modular instrument. It is indeed mobile, thanks to Case from Lake!, but fully loaded a bit of a pain to move around, about as much (or little) fun to move around as a small drum kit. The musical purposes for this rig are:
1. provide a playground for sound design
2. provide some deep sequencing capabilities, including opportunities explore extended sequencing techniques (e.g. sequencing sequencers)
3. have enough perc voices and lanes to do some interesting rhythm programming in modular
4. have enough basic mix and FX capabilities to do a rough mix in modular
5. be able to record several tracks of audio and CV to a laptop (currently covered by ES8&6). I don't plan to get a full song out of the rig at any one time, but to get some key pitched and perc tracks out of it (via ES8&6) should be doable. Net net I'd like to be able to rough out track ideas on this rig, suck them into the DAW, and finish them there.

My current sense of this rig:
a) it feels both inspiring and unbalanced. Yay that it's inspring! I doubt I'll ever fully balance this rig, but a little more balance might help.
b) yes, I've gone OTT on oscillators (top two rows). Note that maybe half of those work well as perc voices also. I intend to keep 75%+ of the top two rows dedicated to "voicing."
c) middle row is sequencing. Of course mainly these will be doing pitched voice and perc sequencing. Vector's 8 tracks would be enough for most applications. The other sequencers are there to give me some options: different UI and workflow, some more lanes, some more opportunities for complex sequencing (e.g. switching or sequencing sequencers, etc.). I DO plan to run some sequencing to Xaoc Lipsk when that arrives, which should allow me to sequence timbres / wavefolding; Flux to Lipsk is an intriguing possibility. On the middle row, I feel like Vector+Extender will always be there, but some of the other stuff might get swapped out for more "workhorse" alternatives.
d) 4th row (from top) is CV and utilities. I feel >80% good about this row. Sum & Difference I don't seem to use much. I might try to free up space for another Quad VCA.
e) bottom row is sound mangling, FX, mix, and output. Module order is kinda strange (due to case depth limitations in some places). Basically on the left I've got sound mangling (XAOC Leibniz units, wavefolder, filter), middle is several mix & fx units, and right hand side is signal out. The WORNG unit is in that row to fill some rough-mix / spatialize duties.

My current sense of opportunities for revisions:
-- more filtering. I'm not a huge filter user, but this rig could benefit from more filtering options. Any suggestions on i) stereo filters that would fit well here or ii) LPGs with lots of lanes per HP (which might be great adds to the perc sound design)?
-- more mixdown lanes in small HP: the Doepfer + WORNG units are not really cutting it presently. I would gladly take suggestions for simple but HP efficient mix solutions to consider swapping in.
-- more switching / logic for complex sequencing: BossBowII (when available) or similar might be good for helping me get the sequencer lanes interacting musically with each other
-- another obvious possibility is to move the E370 out of this rig, as it is so huge! But for the near future, it is staying.
-- obviously most of the HP is already claimed, so any swap ins will require removing a lower priority module. And FYI I already own a lot of these modules (I've been re-racking them to the new case).

Curious to hear any ideas / responses you might have to the above rig, thanks!

Nicholas

Sounding great, I quite fancy a Verbos harmonic oscillator but its a chunk of cash I don't have. I need to sell the wife or something!

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

Great stuff :)

Thats some Twinkly $h!t right there

Using Monsoon Clouds in Resonator mode, split to Disting on Stereo Tape Delay and Mimeophon. Marbles is in control, Divkid/Instruo Ochd is modulating and the 2hp RND is modulating Ochd. There is a Water sample playing in the Prok-RadioMusic. Some noise through a filter sweep and some base Triangle wave through the DannySound Timbre. SSF Vortices on panning control of these last two parts.

Gorgeous stuff

Very nice track and great artwork too. Thanks for sharing. Cheers!
-- TumeniKnobs

Thanks T. Her artwork is indeed wonderful. Decided to go simple with the audio and leave plenty of room to absorb the art.

@Lugia

It's Xaoc. Which I think might be Russian for "kickass!" There are so many sneaky and hidden functions in those (particularly when you add a module's expander) that you can just go on and on with them and it'll take you a while to exhaust the possibilities with ANY of their stuff. Batumi and Zadar are more or less "go-tos" for adding big bangs in small spaces, for instance. And when they go ALL OUT (think their Odessa module here), it really IS all out! Feckin' amazing design going on there...on both sound AND ergonomics.
-- Lugia
I only have a VCA and the multi from XAOC, but I can feel you're totally right. The design is one of my faborutes on the Euro sphere, and yeah, I almost clicked "add to cart" a few times bout the Batumi. Odessa seems to be a wonderful generator...

as far as i know moving a row to a specific position is not possible
i already made a suggestion for this feature in the feature requests thread
but you can swap rows in the Edit -> swap rows menu:

-- modular01

Ok great. Cheers!

I agree, but I also think it's good to remind people that the extra 10% is going to cost them an extra 90% - just like it will do with modular in general...

-- JimHowell1970

My sentiment exactly. As an example, I've been scribbling down some diagrams for a multichannel sound projection system, and for shits 'n' giggles, I also did a version of this solely in Eurorack.

Original version, using Chinese copies of dbx speaker management hardware for the multichannel splitting and initial delays + inexpensive used processors for the effect delays and reverbs = about $750.

Eurorack version = about $2500.

So, yeah...it would be easier to implement the Eurorack version, since it would probably take up most of a Mantis and you would just have to jack into your amplified speakers. But when you're doing art on the sort of budgets we've had for art in the USA for a few decades, you're gonna be reaching for that AliExpress malt liquor instead of that Eurorack champagne. Just simple economics.

Like "It's Bond, James Bond"...
-- JimHowell1970

And if you can get someone to intone that slogan with the proper accent, it would be the PERFECT opening card bit for one of their promos. Yep...I like!

I bought into the hate for in rack percussion
-- xnax

I absolutely hate the use of the word "hate" in this sort of context, it's far too over the top... excessive hyperbole!!! hehehe

& don't get me started on the use of "gatekeeping" and "rules" (mostly on reddit, tbh) in relation to advice given on here and modwiggler...

brilliant rant though!!! and your percussion rack sounds great...

I agree, but I also think it's good to remind people that the extra 10% is going to cost them an extra 90% - just like it will do with modular in general...

hehehe I knew you knew!!!

maybe "It's XAOC, kickass chaos" would be even better!

Like "It's Bond, James Bond"...

Oh, yeah...I know it's supposed to be "chaos", but I see a slogan possibility there: "Xaoc. Chaos. Kickass."

the way in rack drums are tossed out as unreasonable is silly to me as the entire point of modular is to build the instrument you want to build.
-- xnax

I totally agree @xnax. It's YOUR instrument. Build what you want and re-sell the parts that aren't working for you.
Personally, I've taken a hybrid approach with drums, incorporating a desktop 808 clone with modular drums. In fact, I've dedicated 104hp just to modular drums (not including various trigger sequencers and switches) and I couldn't be happier. I may even pick up a DFAM again just so I can (*gasp) take it out of its own dedicated case and put it in my rack, because THAT'S WHERE IT WILL GET USED THE MOST. All of these "rules of thumb" for building a rack need to be taken with a grain of salt. If you want a drum rack, build a drum rack. If you want to rack up a bunch of semi-modulars together, do that. It might cost a little more than alternative methods, but that's on each of us to weigh the costs and benefits. If I listened to every piece of advice given on this forum, I'd have ended up with a bunch of stuff that's great for generative ambient or West Coast-ish Buchla bongo sounds but useless for what I actually find myself doing most of the time.
Only you know how you will make the best use of your gear. Experiment and have fun.

I bought into the hate for in rack percussion when I was first getting started and bought a drum machine and immediately regretted it. It takes up more room on the desk. It's another power supply, bag, and cables needed to carry to gigs. It's more wires and connections to remember to make at the show. People say it can do what in rack can do, but it's just not true. Yes, it can make drum sounds and can even have accents. Yes you can program sequences and store multiple sequences to switch between. Yes it can be clocked from your system or be a clock for your system. That's about it though. It can't be immediately tweaked and adjusted to fit an improvised set. It cant react to changes you make in the melody as you make those changes, or build and swell and fall with an LFO that is building dynamics within your set. It is not immediate and it is not a part of your system. It is a thing on the side that needs to be adjusted constantly or preprogrammed methodically to not just be a constant rhythm marching through your set and not allowing it to breathe and move. Yes, it will cost you more money, but what you get is miles beyond what a drum machine can do. That argument is like saying don't build a modular synth, just buy a keyboard synth. It completely ignores the whole point of modular. The setup I am building towards will be about $10k and it will have one acid bass line with a simple VCO, filter, distortion, delay. It will have a kick drum that uses three different modules to get the shape and flexibility I want. It will be using Erica Synths Sample Drum with two different noise samples being triggered at a time(and the two samples being triggered cycle via CV from Mimetic digitalis for variety/accents) and crossfaded into one voice. It will have high hats that probabilistically cycle between two variable noise sources fed into two low pass gates which are then crossfaded together into a hit and an accent which will also be varied by the gates/triggers sent to the LPGs. There will be multiple feedback sources that can be shaped into tones/textures that can be modulated by the rhythm, or an LFO, or both. Feeding all of it, I have Pams, Knights Gallop, Time Wizard, and Bin Seq feeding two different rhythms into a sL3kt to switch between on the fly, so I can be shaping/modifying one rhythm while the other is playing. They will also be providing timing for the bass line, effects, feedback shaping etc. From Sl3kt the triggers get fed into Idum which can mutate/modify the rhythm at will. I have mutes to shut down or change gate routing at will. There will be effects after all this, but the effects could be after your drum machine if you wanted to do it that way(which you should). The point of my rig is to be able to play it spontaneously and be able to shape and shift the rhythms to fit the feel of whatever I am doing in that moment. I am an improvisational person so this is ideal for me and was the whole draw of modular synthesis for me. I'm sure that a drum machine fits a lot of peoples needs, but the way in rack drums are tossed out as unreasonable is silly to me as the entire point of modular is to build the instrument you want to build.

Yes.

Thread: vpme.de Qex

thanks !
waiting this extra for perfection.

Is the entire world slipping closer to recession?

Love this. So simple and beautiful. Iā€™m a sucker for slow Rings melodies into a huge reverb. Could listen to this for hours. Cheers!
-- TumeniKnobs

Thanks for listening! Slow rings melodies -> big verb describes most of what I've been doing lately. I think I might actually sell my rings module though, I tend to spend more time flarfing with it than producing sounds. Might have to get my greasy mitts on a Basimilus...

I generally agree with @Lugia's advice to avoid in-rack percussion, especially in smaller racks, and followed it myself for a long time. However, I got a good deal on EC + SS while filling my fourth 104hp row, and after working with that and external drum machines for a while (using a CV-to-MIDI module), I bought QD. This still may not be the right decision for you, but here are a few points in their favour. EC is very playable. Euclidean capability is relatively rare in standalone drum machines or sequencers, and even when it is present, it's unlikely to have a good UI. Pam's gives you the capability in-rack but I didn't consider it playable (it's fine for set-and-forget).

Unsurprisingly, QD works very well with EC, and is also quite playable on its own. With both EC and QD, you can do most of what you need in a straightforward manner, but for some functions, you will need to consult the manual to understand what the lights mean (often these are just configuration settings). QD can play your own samples (it comes with a good library) and it has the mini-Rings part of Plaits and, I suspect, the percussion models (or something very much like them). You also have Plaits and One in your proposed rack, but I would encourage you to instead consider for that space some of the more complex and unusual oscillators available, such as the new Bastl Pizza. QD also has a compressor and (as an Easter egg) a delay and reverb. You could eliminate the tiny 2-3hp effects modules, which are going to be a nuisance to work with. (If you don't think QD's effects plus Beads is sufficient, consider the 6hp FX Aid XL.)