Alright I see ! Thank you.
Is there a global view for all the racks?

On the Module Finder, in either the All Modules or the My Modules tabs, you'll see a green icon at the top right corner of the modules you have on your currently selected rack. The number indicating how many instances you've got.

Thanks for sharing your patches and ideas! Lots of great tones in there that I would like to explore myself.
You also have a very nice voice to listen to. How would you describe your accent?

he was trying to get out of Ukraine

Oh Happy Nerding is in Ukraine? Yikes... Well I hope they can get out, or at least stay safe.

I might just opt for a Pico DSP since I actually already have a Nin (also 3HP) but ran out of space due to another change of plans (because of Mutable Instruments ramping down production and me having a bit of a freak out and buying things I planned to get after a second case). Plus, the Pico is relatively inexpensive, and I can actually buy one! So it's got that going for it.

I'll probably still try to get the FX AID XL and/or another MFX, and worst case I own "too many" modules. I'm going to expand into a second case at some point, and it's not a big deal to switch around the rack and swap modules once in a while. Or sell some.

It is becoming difficult to tell if I am succumbing to eurocrack/GAS or if I'm being smart & strategic in buying modules aggressively because things are so hard to get. The lines are blurry.

this user has left ModularGrid

Did you upgrade the firmware on the MFX to VER 102?
https://busycircuits.com/firmware/alm032/

Yes I was on the latest version. I was in contact with both the manufacturer and the retailer and everyone agreed the module seemed faulty and should be returned to the retailer.

Thanks @farkas! The FX Aid XL was a top contender. I almost got it instead of an MFX. Unfortunately it now looks like it is also sold out everywhere. A place I usually buy from had it a week or two ago :(

I found one retailer in England selling it but it looks like they won't ship to me in the US. Sigh... the module availability situation is getting extremely frustrating. I'll keep looking. Or maybe I'll go with one of the other options, or reconsider if I even need multi effects right now.

Sorry to hear about your ALM trouble. That’s a bummer.
I have the Milky Way and FX Aid XL. I like the reverbs and ping pong delay on the Milky Way but don’t use it often for any of the other effects. The FX Aid algorithms are really good and I think I flashed it two or three different times to find a combination of effects that I’m sticking with. I’ve found it to be much better for effects that can transform a patch into something completely different, while the Milky Way is ok for more “bread and butter” end of chain reverbs and delays.
If I had to recommend one, I would say go for the FX Aid XL.
Have fun and good luck!
*edit: I sold my Disting. Just really didn’t enjoy using it. Tweaking it to get the sound I wanted was less than ideal.

I recently acquired an ALM MFX, which I'm sure I would have been very happy with, but I got unlucky and my module is faulty and I have to send it back. Unfortunately, the retailer is now out of stock and it's out of stock ~everywhere. I have not had much luck pre-ordering modules: I've been waiting for months on several things and probably have to wait many more months, if ever (I'm looking at you, Intellijel Quadrax).

Anyway, I think I'll want to get a multi effects module in the near term, so instead of waiting for another batch of ALM MFXs, I was considering the following:

• Expert Sleepers Disting EX (I have a regular Disting but I need more flexibility if it's going to be my main multi-FX + misc. utility module)
  • Endorphin.es Milky Way
  • Happy Nerding FX Aid XL
  • Eric Synths Pico DSP
  • Tiptop Audio Z5000

Things I am looking for:

• Stereo output. Mono -> stereo FX programs are probably a must. The option for stereo -> stereo is a big plus.
  • At least some good delay, reverb, and distortion options. Other stuff like phasers, chorus, bit crushers, are all great too, but I can live without some of these things.
  • Flexible CV control. The Pico DSP probably won't cut it, but the smaller size might make up for it to free up some room for another 3HP module (the Nin expander for my Xaoc Zadar).
  • Ideally 6 HP or less. The Disting EX is ok at 8HP because I'll replace my regular Disting in this rack. The Tiptop Z5000 probably isn't going to work unless I decide it's worth removing another module.
  • I don't want to be overwhelmed with too many options or the need to re-flash the module a lot, so I am hesitant about the FX Aid, but maybe it's a wonderful module and I should be open-minded about it. (I was worried I'd find the Disting too difficult to use, but it's been fine for me.)

Does anyone have experience with these modules and can offer some thoughts on how they compare or make a recommendation on one you love? I'm open to other options too.

Hey Ppl,
So I got a question regarding the Mutable Music Weasel and Tides as a VCDO.
Since I feel Tides as an audio-rate oscillator is a much less explored topic than say Plaits. I thought I'd try and make a Video about it.
The Video consists of 8 very basic patches.

This is my first Upload ever so don't expect some type of golden Content without errors, yet I thought I'd share it here.
Hope it's not to0 painful to watch.

Best
Chris

Thank you all for your expertize, it is much apprechiated and very helpful indeed !

Wow, moduarfreq, I like that a lot. Balance, structure, mood...almost perfect. At the end of every track I'm working on, when everything is getting more and more broad, I resolve to work with fewer elements next time. Next time, I'll listen to that again at the beginning to be inspired by its minimalism.

I'm listening to it again while I'm writing, so cool when you think it's getting quieter and then the bass is added. Really beautifull.

Thank you :)

Hi,
I'm sure I could find the info in the forum but I can't so...
How can we access to the "Module Rack Track" Unicorn feature ?
As it says : "Which of your modules are already assigned to a rack?" https://www.modulargrid.net/e/users/pro_index
Greetings

And another method: use an adder. Adders are what they sound like: they add one voltage value to another. So if you used an adder and inputted the CV for the M32 AND a negative DC offset, you'd get the same lowered result as the PICO module. In fact, a bit more flexible...since you can specify the offset voltage, while the PICO module has no such control.
-- Lugia

Ok thanks I got a precision adder in my wishlist.

Also concerning my issue, th mother 32 as a kind of octve setup with lfo,
using the keyboard lfo seems going lower or higher. (sorry if it's not well explain)

Their are some quotes in Avatar's user
that I keep in mind since I began modular. (About utilites)

I know my modules can be 'crappy' but even I like them.

I will try to post/search a thread about subharmonicon.

Thanks.

My New ambient composition for eurorack modular synthesizer based on voice modulations and samples.
Bitbox Micro is playing some pre-recorded samples, while I use some vcos as solo voices.
More explanations below video on YouTube.

Track was created for the fundraiser compilation of experimental electronic music from Ukraine called "Liberty".
The compilation was made during the war in Ukraine. All profits go to charities and support of Ukrainians.
Link to full compilation below video on YouTube.

Any opinions or high end unity mixers? I need to sum tracks to subgroups into my sound card and hoping to keep the signal path intact. I’m sending from Frap CGM. Nearly sprung for more 2hp unity’s but realized Frap has the 333 - and lo and behold it has some serious caps on the back B) Cheers

I picked up the g storm jupiter 4 chorus and not feeling it yet. Wonder if I’m not giving it edgy enough PWN to get the Jp4. I’m very curious about this new phasor. Not sure anything could bump Kamieniec from my “greatest module of all time” tho

quick sketch of base drum setup

ModularGrid Rack

Just for fun here is what I came up with for a small percussion focused setup with Tesseract Tukra as sequencer/percussion voice and support utilities:

ModularGrid Rack

Cost: About 3k including case/power/modules if buy on sale from retailer with 10% discount and free shipping.

In comparison, the Elektron Rytm MK2 and Jomox Alphabase cost about half that price.

This was an insta-buy for me first thing this morning. I've been mulling over Kamieniec, K-Phaser, or a Small Stone pedal for the last few weeks. G Man knew exactly what I needed. Should be here on Thursday, so I'll report back with my thoughts.

Or should this be a nifty OLD phase shifter?
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/g-storm-electro-polychrome-phaser
Mmm-hmm...the phaser from a rare AF Farfisa synth from the late 1970s. Six stages, and it looks like way too much fun to just be crammed into 4 hp...but there it is! If you're thinking about adding a phaser to your build, I think this one deserves a look-see.

ModularGrid Rack

I edited this for clarity. I'm looking for help figuring out what I need to squeeze the sounds, patterns and styles I want to make.

I'm new to Eurorack but been reading/watching for a couple weeks.

General reasons for my build.
-I like outer-space, ambient, droning sounds
-I like 80s Retrowave
-I like bending 'real' sounds and mixing that with electronic sounds
-I want to incorporate a mic with vocals and have the ability to alter my voice and layer different lines. For instance throw in some background vocals I could put on repeat and manipulate or start/stop on the fly and then sing lead vocals as well.
-I want to record live to cassette tape

I'd like to create multi-track choruses. Really synth-y, punchy chorus lines that feel big.

Some specific ideas I had are likely going to sound silly, but... I'd love to be able to experiment with modules like Pluck where I could create separate instances.

so I could have many strings being plucked and be able to adjust the pitch/tempo/etc of each of those individual sounds, offset them from each other and create a kind of noise-garden (as if someone was just banging around on a guitar).

I want to be able to create random patterns, but with the ability to control them as much as I wish and sync them to specific timing and keys.

So. I also left room in the rack for, undoubtedly, utility mods that I haven't thought of or don't even know I need.

I'm sorry. I just don't have the lingo or enough knowledge to make more sense.

Thank you.
ModularGrid Rack

I mentioned these in another thread, but they apply here, too: Delptronics' LDB-2 modules. In 12 hp (2 x 6 hp modules), you get a good complement of analog electronic percussion, mainly derived from classic Roland and Boss sources. Those two modules also only cost about $350; add a suitable sequencer, and you've got several electro voices in a tiny space.

And another method: use an adder. Adders are what they sound like: they add one voltage value to another. So if you used an adder and inputted the CV for the M32 AND a negative DC offset, you'd get the same lowered result as the PICO module. In fact, a bit more flexible...since you can specify the offset voltage, while the PICO module has no such control.

Drum machine way cheaper than modular drums but if you want modular drums the key is really a good sequencer like the Winter Modular Eloquencer that is great for sequencing drums. You could get Queen of Pentacles or Quad Drum and have all drums in one module and use a sequencer for that part.
-- sacguy71

Another killer electronic percussion module (pair): Delptronic's LDB-2 pair. The "voices" are in one 6 hp module, and the "controls" in another 6 hp module that interfaces with the first. And it's not like these sounds haven't been "road tested"; some of them derive from super-desirable machines such as the Roland CR-78, TR-606, or the Boss DR-110. CLASSIC electro sounds! These, plus a suitable sequencer (Tubbutec's 6quencer, which is based on the 606's) and you're in at around $500-ish...which is actually not too far removed from the prices on Roland's "boutique" stuff. THAT, I would endorse. Plus, with it AND a drum machine, you can lock the machine to your clock for the "straightforward" drums, then add some LDB-2 sounds as accents or as a voice of its own (such as the hihats...that "chippy" trap hat sound relies on the TR-606's sound).

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!

@RZRO awesome, and thanks for the tip about the dedicated output. I'll save on that at the moment to add some logic or sequencer.

Pamelas New Workout & Varigate 4+ (or Steppy) instead of Circles
-- 33PO

Yeah I was considering Varigate 4+ as well, maybe it could be more versatile. Circles looks fun as hell, but it doesn't provide too many options or modulation inputs.
I was also thinking about Pamela (or maybe Make Noise Tempi?) but I'm a bit concerned about the menu diving...

Look at various modules to alter gate lengths and/or positions, then Boolean logic to use those gates to derive new rhythms from the gate interactions. There's also some modules that come in handy with clock tampering, such as comparators (they send a gate when CV fed through it exceeds a given level), discriminators such as min/max modules, directional CV trackers (these send a gate depending on CV movement...up, down, same) and so on. Putting a suitable "library" of these sorts of modules together with a suitable master clock for everything is a big key to getting some wild hits, crossrhythms, and the like.
-- Lugia

This is honestly super interesting, I didn't know half of the things you have mentioned even existed. Do you have any suggestions for putting together some of these logic and gate combiners?

You could save space and money in your rack by getting an all in one drum synth and sequencer like Tukra
https://www.tesseractmodular.com/eurorack-modules/tukra
-- sacguy71

This also looks super cool, thanks!

@33PO you are welcome! It is on my wish list as love their modules from demos. Also like Queen of Pentacles and DFAM is fun as well.

Thread: Live jam

Experiment to clock all three modular together

You could save space and money in your rack by getting an all in one drum synth and sequencer like Tukra

Gives you 8 drum voices and sequencer in one module not bad price either. Then you only need a quad VCA and few utilities.
-- sacguy71

Whoah... This is awesome. Thanks for sharing

Gives you 8 drum voices and sequencer in one module not bad price either. Then you only need a quad VCA and few utilities.

Using the VCA inputs on the SSF Vortices as Mutes by sticking patch leads into them. Bit of a bodge in the middle where I decided it was a good idea (it wasn't) to bring in the Error Instruments Indian Resonator.

Cheers for listening :)

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Hmmm...first up, lose the Moogs. Put them back in their cases and on their own power, as they take up way too much space given the functions you get. Plus, you can mount the Moog skiffs into their own multi-tier stand, like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mother32Rk3--moog-3-tier-rack-kit-for-mother-32-dfam

Next, toss the multiple. This build is too small to support having functional space lost to mults, and you'll do better with stackcables or inline mult widgets. These really should be in larger systems, especially since you've got enough "real estate" for them. Also, buffered mults are mainly for regenerating CVs for distribution to CV destinations such as VCF cutoff, VCO frequency, etc, and there's not enough of that going on here.

The case is confusing...is this an Arturia cab, with a 6U on top and a 3U on the bottom, or...?

As for the pitch weirdness, try turning the coarse pitch control down to about halfway and then using the fine control to straighten out the tuning. Also, the Moogs have an interesting issue in that they're not 100% Eurorack-compatible, and they require one of these: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-pico-mscale to straighten out the issue. That 3 hp module shifts the CVs downward or upward so that they work with the +/- 5V scaling. Why does Moog do this? Well, Moog has a habit of being in their own "zone"...and in this case, it's the CVs that are the issue. Just be glad it's not the atrocity of the old Moog S-trig bus!
-- Lugia

Sorry I forgot to precise both moigs are not in cases, I have both in the dedicate 'stand'

My case is an arturia rackbrute 3u, 88hp.
I save money for a the 6u, 2x 88hp.

I don't really use the moogs Vco, but yes I forgot, I do random with the subharmonicon's VCO.

Though I've learn, a tip woth th 1v/oct conversion of the Moog. (not of the Mother 32) send the KB output of the mother 32 toa buffered multiple.

Hmmm...first up, lose the Moogs. Put them back in their cases and on their own power, as they take up way too much space given the functions you get. Plus, you can mount the Moog skiffs into their own multi-tier stand, like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Mother32Rk3--moog-3-tier-rack-kit-for-mother-32-dfam

Next, toss the multiple. This build is too small to support having functional space lost to mults, and you'll do better with stackcables or inline mult widgets. These really should be in larger systems, especially since you've got enough "real estate" for them. Also, buffered mults are mainly for regenerating CVs for distribution to CV destinations such as VCF cutoff, VCO frequency, etc, and there's not enough of that going on here.

The case is confusing...is this an Arturia cab, with a 6U on top and a 3U on the bottom, or...?

As for the pitch weirdness, try turning the coarse pitch control down to about halfway and then using the fine control to straighten out the tuning. Also, the Moogs have an interesting issue in that they're not 100% Eurorack-compatible, and they require one of these: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/erica-synths-pico-mscale to straighten out the issue. That 3 hp module shifts the CVs downward or upward so that they work with the +/- 5V scaling. Why does Moog do this? Well, Moog has a habit of being in their own "zone"...and in this case, it's the CVs that are the issue. Just be glad it's not the atrocity of the old Moog S-trig bus!

Drum machine way cheaper than modular drums but if you want modular drums the key is really a good sequencer like the Winter Modular Eloquencer that is great for sequencing drums. You could get Queen of Pentacles or Quad Drum and have all drums in one module and use a sequencer for that part.

+1 on the drum machine. Given the expense and impracticality of drum modules + sequencer(s), you can get more done with something OUTboard that's capable of reading the modular's clock. Also, no DFAM in the main cab. It's burning up all the space you need for those "helpers".

Gonna wail on this...back in a bit...
ModularGrid Rack
OK...some of the earlier modules are gone, mainly due to there being better module choices. The tile row is actually a big help here.

TOP: This is what you want for an input. The Doepfer A-119 is pretty much the standard, and it not only has adjustable input gain, it gives you a gate out when audio is present above a set threshold, and it's got an envelope follower that lets you use the actual level contours from the inputted device. I then coupled a B.2600 VCO with a Dannysound variation on the Buchla 259's waveshaper, and followed this with the Odessa, like you'd mentioned. Veils provides the VCAs here, since you'll want that exponential VCA response for audio. Serge filter is next (good choice!), then Beads gives you granular methods for sound manipulation, and the Stasis Leak gives you mono-to-stereo chorus, reverb, and a tap delay. Lastly, the Cosmix gives you a stereo mixer with four mono inputs, two stereo, and an AUX send. Since the AUX bus here is mono, using this with the Stasis Leak is a good match.

TILES: I tossed the input/output module because it didn't have the capabilities of the A-119 and because the stereo mixer allows you to fly in your effects against the main output signal. The Cosmix has those as well, but the Stereo Mixer lets you separate your effects from the main signal for better mix control. First up, there's a send/return I/O for a stompbox to join in the mayhem. Next, I opted for a Temps Utile for your main clock/sequence generator. After that is an Intellijel QuadrATT for mixing, attenuverting, and the like. I put in a Stereo VCA so that you can have VCA control over whichever levels to the Stereo Mixer you prefer.

BOTTOM: Starts with a Ladik sequential transposer so that you can transpose sequences from the T_u or the Turing Machine by specific steps. The Turing Machine is next, with the addition of the Voltages and Gates expanders. Following this is an SSF Tool Box, which is a killer multi-utility module with a lot of functions that'll play nice in here. Batumi (with Poti) is after that, then the Maths. But after the Maths, I added a modulation manipulation section with a Tiptop MISO and a dual Veils VCA clone from After Later. Main EG is the Quadrax, which also has the Qx expander for some complex multi-envelope madness. I left the O'Tool in, but moved it to this row. And the little white sliver at the end is one of Konstant Labs' PWRchekr, which lets you have visual feedback on your DC rail health.

I don't think you'll miss the stuff that was removed. This build not only fills the rack out, it takes things to a higher functional level than previously.

Thread: "Normalized"

These "breakable" busses are actually really simple. What you've got is X number of outputs, but behind the panel all of the 3.5mm jacks are the type that has a "through" that can be broken when you insert a cable. That's where your "broken bus" comes out, as the jack arrangement sends signals through until it finds a cable in the bus, and the connection breaker in that jack sets up the new "output" when the cable's plugged in.

Can you link to the MW thread @JimHowell1970 so others get redirected? I tried to find it but it seems to get lost in the stream of topics there.
-- zuggamasta

here you go:

https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=261524

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Can you link to the MW thread @JimHowell1970 so others get redirected? I tried to find it but it seems to get lost in the stream of topics there.

Hi thanks @jim owell 70.

NP!!!

I got just sometimes some doubts.

-- 202kwam

then ask questions - no such thing as a stupid one - just stupid answers!

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

don't throw out your turing machine - build some more simple(r) modules - mults, attenuators etc and learn how to use a multimeter to troubleshoot - also might be worth posting high res photos of your boards on a DIY forum/subforum (modwiggler music tech DIY subforum or r/SynthDIY, for instance) someone might see what the problems are - you've probably screwed up some solder joints, or not soldered them, or have bridges somewhere, or put something in the wrong way round (all easy things to do, if you aren't experienced or not concentrating enough...

all the things you say you want are achievable - but possibly not in a 'small' case such as this (it's not that small, but it's not that big either), mainly as you will need support modules to enable you to achieve what you want - see my signature for a hint as how to build a versatile rack for the least cash

magneto is great (and by all accounts so is starlab) but they are very large and expensive - personally I think both the hp and money are better spent in a case this size - a couple of fx aid xls will give you more versatility for less cash and less space - spend saved money and hp on modulation/utilities

I would seriously consider going external for drums (if you can) ie a drum machine - they're significantly less expensive!!!

Hi thanks @jim owell 70.

I ain't thouht to attenuate as you said.

I don't want to patroenize.

I learn a lot by myself, but have still to learn.

The videos I watch was a must. Most of times I learn alone.

I got just sometimes some doubts.

please check modwiggler - I just explained it there for you - if you have further questions - please ask there...

Well, the DivKid YouTube video at 43:36 - Step sequencing is probably a good start...the DivKid video on this module is very comprehensive and well done like all of his videos

JB

Stages has an alt firmware that allows it to be used as step sequencer, but I can't figure it out. Can anyone walk me through it?

There is a post on it, but I can't follow this successfully. https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/stages-extended-sequencer-firmware/17493

I also could not find any YT videos that explain it.

Thanks

So I starded off with modular synthesis just about two months ago when I bought a dfam and had no clue that eurorack even exists. Once I found out I was instantly hooked.

I had no particular musical style goals in mind and boldly ignored most of the beginner advice out there while I built my first case and aquired all these modules. This is why my rack probably doesn't make much sence in it's current state.
Still, so far I'm having lots of fun just exploring and experimenting with whats there and about half of the time I'm quite pleased with what I can get out of this strange setup.

But now I do want to become more concrete with what I'm doing here so I thought this might be a good time to ask for some advice.
The general direction I want to head at is dub. lee perry, kemistry & storm, experimental drum synthesis with ambient capabilities and heavy effects are a few keywords.
I'm also using a keystep, sq-1 sequencer, e-guitar a regular mic and a contact mic for various acoustic signals / instruments.

ModularGrid Rack

the dfam can move back into its case for more space, the turning machine has only working pulse and noise outputs (botched my first diy build) so I might throw it out and the joystick is also kind of obsolete at the moment.

I probably need more drum modules, oscillators, filters, effects, some adsr and s&h.
I'd also like to get a starlab or magneto but I am not quite sure wich suits my needs better.
Odessa also seems quite interesting to me.

Whats your take on this and what modules would you suggest me to look at next?

(sorry for the long read)

Thread: "Normalized"

so do the inputs break the chain or the outputs? that's a thing, my brain does not seem to grasp.

if only the inputs break the normalling-chain, then the outputs could be used as multiples.
if the outputs break the chain, then one could use veils as a mixer.

i'm probably too stupid for normalling? :)
-- lauschepper

it's the outputs - think of it like a mixer