Time flies. I feel like I just joined this forum and dipped my toe in the modular ocean. I've been sharing rack updates a few times a year since I posted my initial noob "Help Me" plan. I was sort of an old-school synth guy who got disillusioned with making music and sold all my gear years ago. I happened upon some interviews with Genesis P-Orridge and the Cabaret Voltaire guys back in 2019 and got the itch to incorporate synths into an art project that I had been thinking about. The rest is a whirlwind of noise, fun, and an empty wallet.
My initial rack plan was about half the size of my current setup below (still need to buy the Vortices and LRMSMSLR in the picture). The plan was to build something for repetitive noise and abrasive glitchy techno-ish sounds. Somewhere along the way I remembered that I actually enjoy making music in a bunch of different genres. Some days I'm fascinated with Merzbow, other days I'm fascinated with Depeche Mode, or Fad Gadget, or Drexciya, or Boards of Canada, or Japan, or Oren Ambarchi, or Kraftwerk, or Can, or Surgeon, or Prefuse 73, or... you get the picture. So, my rack grew until space and money ran out. And I'm happy.
What I've discovered that I can share with the other noobs is there are a lot of well-intentioned but rigid folks who will tell you how you should do things, but rarely are they right beyond some very simple guidance (buy a bigger rack, don't overlook utilities, etc.). Everyone will do this differently, and what works for someone else will not work for you. Don't run out and buy a dual comparator, Maths, or an analog frequency shifter because someone else says you need those modules. I bought Clouds and hated it. I bought a Disting and hate it (though it still sits mostly unpatched in my rack, just in case).
You will know what you need when you need it. When you reach for something that is not there, that's the next module you should buy, whatever it is. If someone tells you that you are doing it wrong, whether it's because of a tiny case, or not enough VCAs, or too many filters, or whatever, don't worry about it. You'll figure out the direction you are heading along the way. I'm sure there is someone out there having a blast with nothing more than a Basimilus Iteritas Alter and a Pamela's New Workout. And that's all that matters in the grand scheme of things: FUN. No need to suffer for your art like some frustrated Nietzschean hermit. Just have fun with it all.
Buy a few modules that look like fun and see if you can figure out how to make them work. Do the research yourself. Read manuals, watch DivKid/MylarMelodies/etc. videos until your brain starts to think in a British accent. Plug something into something else and see if it sounds cool. Then sell what isn't working to get the next module that will help you achieve the sound you are looking for. It's really that simple. I wasted some money doing this, but I learned a lot along the way and I actually have what I need now. The GAS is gone. Now I'm just tweaking my layout here and there so everything makes sense to ME. It's all a personal journey, not what some random dude on the internet (like myself) tells you is the "right" way. Don't get me wrong, forums are super helpful, but mostly as a way to make sense of what you are experimenting with and experiencing along the way.
Anyway, happy holidays to you all. Thanks for following along with my updates over the past few years. I hope you all are happy, healthy, and having fun!
ModularGrid Rack

The sweetest analog hi-hat sound imo comes from a DFAM, but since I use my DFAM more and more for lead and bass sounds, there is a Patching Panda Hatz2 module in my rack. Can achieve very nice open and closed hat timbres, choking and accents. Available as a ready built module or DIY kit. Just recently I ordered a kit by Skull & Circuits named Metall-o-tron II to pass the time in any upcoming lockdown. Haven't built it yet, but am looking forward to it :)
In terms of HP economics the 2hp Hat can't be beat obviously, but I like to keep it all analog.

you didnt want a filter or anything dedicated to audio processing ? i hope youve got stackcables or something; otherwise youlll need mults sooner or later. its not a bad rack but it just kinda feels like all that modulations got nowhere to go

electricity comes from other planets

I like to use every kind of noise (white, pink etc.) a good filter and a snapy envelope and a VCA or better a Combination of Envelope and VCA like the Befaco Percal or Schlappi Enginering - Boundary .

-- Next_G

Yes, and thank you for this comment!
This is really an alternative: start with a noise, shape it with an envelope, use a filter, a vca, some random, a delay, etc. Everyone has his own modules, his own recipes, and you end up with something that is personal and that suits the track perfectly.

It is for this pleasure that we buy modules that have a cost... and that we have even sometimes turned away from ready made sound banks and computers.

The price of a module (let's say from 100 to 1000 euros) is also the price of the pleasure of freedom and of working as a sound craftsman.

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).

The Doepfer A-119 is sort of the "industry standard", actually. Typical 1/4" input jack and amplification of external signals to synth level. But the A-119 has a few other tricks...

First up, it's got a comparator which keys off of the incoming signal dynamics. As long as your input signal is over the level you've set on the threshold pot, the module will output a gate. Then there's the envelope follower itself, which translates dynamic levels into a modulation curve so that you can impose the incoming dynamics envelopes onto some other device in the build. Now, where this can come in handy is when you've run out of comparators, or if you just want dynamics without the signal, you can use it for that as well.

I wonder how this compares to Doepfer A180-9 (that I already use for this).

I use Hats D for 909 ish hats. Mosaic 1U hi hat is really nice and sits somewhere between 808, cr78. PP hatz v3 are indeed nice for white noise style hats with control over “metallic” sound.

For samples Pico Drums has 2 sample triggers and 1 can choke the other if you have the switch set to do so. You can also CV the built in envelope and get even more mileage. I would take Pico Drums over 2hp hats. I use 2 of them in fact.

this user has left ModularGrid

I like to use every kind of noise (white, pink etc.) a good filter and a snapy envelope and a VCA or better a Combination of Envelope and VCA like the Befaco Percal or Schlappi Enginering - Boundary .

Assuming you do not own any of these modules already :) why not have a disting EX rather than two disting Mk4's ?
-- Jobbey

I own most of what's here! I just need the State Variable Filter and the 2nd Disting. (The Guillotine, Sloth, Krach, and STMIX are on the way, I have a Shades right now. I love shades, but it's not cutting it for this rack's needs.)

I would love to have the Disting EX - however, I believe that it is too deep for the pallet case sadly, so the two Distings will suffice. If I'm wrong - let me know, because I would love to have the Disting EX screen and added utility.

• The not at all unique utilities are Sloth (apathy), Krach, and Guillotine.
  • The ubiquitous utilities are Duatt, Tri Filter, and Stereo Mixer

corrected

it's how you use them that could make them less unique... but unlikely given beauty case

-- JimHowell1970

You are 100% correct haha. Maybe I should say "The 3 utilities I find slightly more interesting" and "The 3 utilises that make everything else work"

ModularGrid Rack

My goals are: 1. modular synthesis education (experimentation and learning), 2. ambient lead and pad sounds / textures, 3. rhythmic melodies, 4. guitar signal processing. Besides self-contained sounds/patterns, I intend to also connect a MIDI keyboard to play modular patches.

The rack above includes only modules I own (or are already in-transit to me). I don't intend to purchase anything else until I have a basic understanding of how these can work together. I expect modules to be swapped out for others as I learn. My futures purchase list (which is entirely hypothetical right now) includes:

EDIT: Adjusted priorities based on input.
0. 2x 2U buff mults
1. Intellijel Morgasmatron
2. MI Ears
3. MI Plaits
4. Intellijel Dual ADSR

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Assuming you do not own any of these modules already :) why not have a disting EX rather than two disting Mk4's ?

I get pretty bad ground loop noise when I use this to power a Beatstep Pro that is triggering 3+ channels of the ALM Squid Salmple in the same case. I've tried using a USB cable with a ferrite choke (magnet) on it but the noise is still very apparent. Any thoughts on how to eliminate the loop?

Edit: Using a MDLR Case with a Konstant Lab PSU.

Hopefully is this OK for the "Best of".

Tomorrow I will do a final one. The mix needs a bit more attention.

• The not at all unique utilities are Sloth (apathy), Krach, and Guillotine.
  • The ubiquitous utilities are Duatt, Tri Filter, and Stereo Mixer

corrected

it's how you use them that could make them less unique... but unlikely given beauty case

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

To illustrate my previous comment and answering a bit more precisely the topic, ladies and gentlemen... the amazing, the magnificient (and fairly low cost) 2hp Hat!
:))

I like Hexinverter Mutant Drums Hi Hat module quite a bit. Also have WMD Crucible that is fun for weird stuff.

@farkas I agree that Crucible sounds wonderful, but I haven't been able to get any "hats" sounds out of it, just ride. Is there a trick I'm missing?
-- troux

It had been a while since I messed around with any drum sounds, so I patched up Crucible this morning. It definitely excels at ride/crash type stuff, but I got a decent hi hat groove going with size, decay, excite, and deform all set around 9 o’clock with pitch and tone set around 12 o’clock. Triggers into the edge and choke inputs. Attenuated lfos into size and decay, and a channel of Voltage Block into velocity in a sort of ascending sawtooth-ish kind of pattern. I also find that I like to filter the output of Crucible a little. I was just using Ripples today, but I’m sure you could get some cool results with other filters/effects.
This little experiment made me want to make some techno again. Haha.

Edit: I love the Patching Panda Punch v3 for percussive sounds, so I'm sure their Hatz v2 is awesome for analog drum machine style hi-hats. I have a few other sources for that kind of sound, otherwise I would probably get one.

I'd let you have this but it was a live stream so I have no backup audio

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Getting some submissions, who else wants to join in?!
-- troux

Still want to join!

Can I send it tomorrow evening (21:00 CET)? Patch is ready but it can use some finetuning before I hit "record"...

For calculating paypal fees I use this: https://www.salecalc.com/paypal?p=100&l=us&r=0&e=0&f=0&m=2&c=0

Another one for the mix is 'Patching Panda Hatz' it has the all-important Choke so the CH will close-off out the OH, it also has accents so you can run an accent pattern behind your main Hat patterns and make your hats more interesting.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

As Mazz said, a envelope follower generates continuous CV from a signal you put into it by measuring its voltage. A common application is ducking or side chaining where one sound temporarily suppresses another to keep maximum presence. Like a kick supressing a bass line or a voice pushing back background music in a video.
Something like this:
ducking sound --> env follower --> inverter --> vca controlling ducked sound

I have a https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ladik-e-510-envelope-follower which gives Trigger, Gate and Envelope. I recently used some filtered noise (a crackle type sound) to trigger and run an entire patch. If you happen to have any Piezo contact Mics they can also be used with an envelope follower, at its most simple just tapping on a Mic via the Ladik E-510 can be used to affect the modulation of something else via its envelope. All good fun.

Grab a Mutable Instruments Ears for a bit of Mic-Pre-amp and envelope follower in one.

I don't have a really dedicated module yet: neither for HH nor for Kick. It's a will since the beginning. I use drum machines. But I might change my mind. When you look at Richard Devine current live setup, you can see a 2hp Hat and a 2hp Kick. I'm heading towards this solution. Why not...

In a nutshell, an envelope follower listens to audio transients at its input, and outputs them as CV envelopes.
So you could for example plug in a drum loop and get a filter cut off elsewhere to open to the beat, or plug in a guitar and trigger stuff in your rig with it.
Yes, you need an envelope generator, or four...

@farkas I agree that Crucible sounds wonderful, but I haven't been able to get any "hats" sounds out of it, just ride. Is there a trick I'm missing?

I always chuckle when I see someone say they want to receive payment by Venmo. I would never do anything except PayPal with 3% because it protects both the seller and buyer. Do those that want to be paid using Venmo send the item first and then receive payment after the buyer receives and is ok with item? I'm guessing not

JB

Noticed in the 'function' menu when I was looking up envelope generators that there is also an 'envelope follower'...what is an envelope follower and why would I need one? I'm assuming I should have an envelope 'generator' before I consider buying an envelope 'follower'?

JB

WMD Crucible is pretty awesome. I haven't found a better realistic source of cymbals.

I would love a dial up if i ever find one. Anyone have any good suggestions? A choke would be a big plus. Thanks.

I can't make notes - but I can comment!

I've been messing around with modular for about a year now, and I think I'm finally getting it. After finally figuring out what it is I want to do - this setup meets my needs.

Fata Morgana II is an ambient / drone / noise exploration synth.

• The Centerpiece modules are the Mimeophon, Morphagene, and Ears.
  • The main driver is Pamelas New Work out (its the brains of the operation)
  • The Disting MK4 is a sample loader ambient exploration or VCOs for droning (or whatever you need really)
  • The utilities I find slightly more fun are the Sloth (apathy), Krach, and Guillotine.
  • The utilities that are the real lifeblood are the Duatt, State Variable Filter, and STMIX

I use this with an OP-Z and odd vhs/cassette tapes I find.
I'll post some videos once I have them, still trying to figure out the best way to record things!

Hope this offers some explanation on the purpose of the build!

ModularGrid Rack

Would also take arrangement suggestions.

Finally saying goodbye to the Cre8 Nifty modules (cellz and chips). I have a Patching Panda Operat on the way to replace the Chips module. I'll actually miss Cellz a bit as a handy touch controller, but I was using it less and less ever since getting a CV.OCD. I've got a lingering 2hp in the top row that I could fill with a 2hp VCO, but it doesn't really feel necessary in this build. I suppose I could use it for a FM/RM/AM source... Just seems like I might get more use out of an additional 8hp if I pull the Erica CV Processor (although I'm thinking this might be an interesting tool for intermingling the Oscillators in the Operat).

I mostly use this rack for sound design/soundscapes when patching for fun, or to build clip/loop-based jams on the BitBox when I'm struck with the inspiration to compose something a bit more formal/traditional. Not really into generative (I like listening, just not so much making it). I lean more into funky/lofi/trip-hop/industrial/boom-bap type stuff on most days. This is also not an all-in-one build or performance build. I'm trying to sharpen the focus on sound design options, not necessarily a rack where I can use every module in every patch. I'm ok with letting some modules go unused here and there. A good example of this is the Step Sequencer. I use it in maybe 1/5 patches, but when I do I'm extremely glad it is there.

Any good folk out there want to take a stab at redesigning or optimizing this build?

Hey all,

Have the Moog trifecta of semi-modulars and love all three. I've had a hankering to move beyond and add on a 104HP skiff to supplement and also act as a standalone unit. My idea is to do techno-style music - downbeat, psy-bient, EDM, melodic. Not really looking into generative at the moment. I also like the idea of being able to perform on the rack.

So I have 104HP. I've populated it thus far with MATHs, Disting MK4, and a buff mult. Bastl CV Trinity to follow very soon.

This is my line of thinking - uPlaits or Make Noise STO for VCO, Disting for utility, fx, etc., MATHs - because it's MATHS, Pams for clocking, Voltage block for performative sequencing, Bastl Cinnamon for VCF, Bastl CV Trinity - for automation, LFO, and ADSR, Malekko Quad VCA, Future Sound Systems MX1 as a mixer, 2HP Hat Kick and Snare for drums, and Bastl Ciao for output to a sound system or to interface with iPad - think fx, processing, etc.

Thoughts of what I could get rid of or what I'd need instead. Like I said already have 4 modules, so they are staying for now. Also, haven't decided on VCO, but at this point it's between uPlaits and STO.

ModularGrid Rack

Price-wise as well as width-wise there is this one too: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/bearmodules-matrix-mixer
Great value for the buck, practical, good feel, and the unipolar / bipolar switch is a great extra function.
B.

Thanks for the feedback. I take a look into the shift register. Pico System III is the eurorack version, so no case, but it is a good idea. I think there are some small cases and affordable (4 Ms pod maybe) cases for it.
-- iron_at

When it comes to a second case, another idea is to use it for all of your real-time controllers, sequencers, mixers, mutes, etc. Anything you want to be very hands-on with is nice. Just be sure the case is deep enough to hold them. Some skiffs and palettes are rather shallow.

if you fancy something at a good price and DIY then try
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai008-eurorack-matrix-mixer
Good for signal routing, modulation, effects sends etc

+1.
I just got a 1amp power supply to replace a broken one, but I am almost at 1 amp just with a couple digital modules and preamps with phantom power. I have to be very careful about power consumption in my planning for now, and it is pretty hard to figure out what I can or can't do just with the tools on the site.

Thanks for the feedback. I take a look into the shift register. Pico System III is the eurorack version, so no case, but it is a good idea. I think there are some small cases and affordable (4 Ms pod maybe) cases for it.

I have everything to the right of the 8HP blank space. The Pams, Logica XT, and Doepfer A-130-2 are reserved HP...leaving me 8 HP of unreserved space. It was recommended I consider an envelope follower to the build...any recommendations for something that would occupy 6 or 8HP? Really loving everything that I've added so far, really fun combining the Minibrute2 with external sounds modified by Warps, Ultrafold, and Beads
ModularGrid Rack

JB

I edited and removed what I was writing as I don't want to hijack the OP's post

JB

Actually, if the designer there would've just staggered the knobs to the left and right, you WOULD have ample room for fingers. Too much attention paid to electronics and NOT ergonomics is how you get unplayable modules. For example, my AE system uses those little marked-shaft pots, but they were designed with ample space so that you can get into through the patchcord (actually pinwires in the AE) snarl and the other controls around.

A bunch of my stompboxes see duty as percussion manglers. One you should seriously look at is some sort of auto-wah...on snares, these work great with a very fast attack and release, adding a quick filter sweep to the drum sound. I've gotten deep into the Chinese stompbox thing, and one bunch of sellers I've had a great time with are what I refer to as the "Brantford Pedal Mafia", aka a number of sellers in Brantford, ONT in the same general family who all deal in pedals AND who have inventories in both the USA and Canada, which makes things easy for quick shipment. You'll find the "Kingpin", aka mec.2009 at https://www.ebay.com/sch/mec.2009/m.html

Knob proximity seems to be an issue, but I guess you can't have both compact and easy to noodle. I think I need to build one. Definitely need room either side of the knobs.

Indeed and even in my smaller setups, I strive for utilities and tools like VCAs, envelopes and attenuators. My smallest case has these and I use them a lot in complex patches. Now with 1u tools and small hp sized support modules, it makes life easier.

Bought a Make Noise modDemix from @abozzelli. Fast shipping and good communication! Module very well packaged, and with original box. All good :)

Bought a Make Noise Contour from @fred05. Fast shipping and good communication! Module very well packaged, and with original box. All good :)

Lugia is right. We can also want a piano without a pedal, a microwave without a cooking time setting, an airplane without an altimeter... Funny Club. Everything that is imaginable is not necessarily reasonable ;)

I really need to get my stuff together and record. But all current patches are just soooo messy.