Hi Mowse,

Very intriguing track this is. I love the main line whilst a beautiful kind of dripping sound (is that the Plaits?) goes around with it too. On top of all that beautiful stuff, you know how to put down a sequence as well!

Lovely work, I don't mind if you try here and there to "drift away", at least this unexpected drift, is in my opinion, very successful! Thank you very much for sharing this with us and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

Hi Exposure,

I love the melody line in here, that sound does it for me! :-)

I barely know how to spell drumz but you on the other hand know very well how to handle a decent piece of rhythm :-)

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

For review reports of Eurorack modules, please refer to https://garfieldmodular.net/ for PDF formatted downloads

This seems to me to be yet another too-small case problem, in tandem with the absence of suitable utility-ish modules that can unleash the ones that are already here. the-erc's observations are pretty much spot on, therefore...but where would you put those in this? Plus, I'm of the opinion that you'd do better with a proper envelope generator for envelopes than simply using the Maths...to me, that's sort of like having a vintage Ferrari Dino that you only drive to the grocery store. Maths is capable of MUCH more as a complex modulation source than what it's apparently being tasked with here.

Pittsburgher sv-1b to trade

Fact is, since the x0x-box methods are all well-established, they've got a very real "performance practice" around them, to the point that you've got a huge user base that's VERY accustomed to how they work/sound/etc. So, should you run dry on ideas, it'd be quite likely that you could run across another x0x user who'd hit the same creative wall...and they'll have ideas that are specific to those devices that YOU can use.

How do you usually set this up? And what is unsatisfying about the results?

I would say that you should add (i) attenuverters (ii) CV mixer (iii) more VCAs. That said, I would expect that with Pam, Maths, and your MIDI controller you have enough modulation capabilities to do something interesting.

I would also recommend throwing your computer out the window, at least for while.

This is very nice. Very strong BoC vibe at the start, and then moves off into something new. I like.

After years of utilizing hardware, soft synths, and messing around with VCV Rack I ponied up funds to build out a modest 104hp setup, primarily to accentuate and add character to dark ambient / drone noise that I create. I still use my laptop, external hardware, a midi controller and other interstitial devices like a Sony Watchman FD-20A 2" Analog CRT Television to create white noise. But what I thought would facilitate my needs is still lacking and I often end up pulling up a soft synth instead of patching out the sound I'm going for.

My current set up is below:
Pittsburgh Modular MIDI2
ALM Pamela's NEW Workout
Plaits
Piston Honda mkII
Intellijel Quad VCA
Make Noise Maths
Noise Engineering Desmodus Versio
Rossum Electro-Music Evolution
Erica Synths Pico OUT

I've got so many more questions than I'll bother any one with right now, but right off the bat, does anyone see glaring omissions and/or any additional modules necessary to get the most out of what I have, or do I just need to get off the computer and spend more time patching and experimenting -- I'm always doing the latter and spend probably 10+ hours a week messing about, which is why I'm reaching out to those who are far more knowledgeable and experienced.

Thank you all in advance!

ModularGrid Rack

If someone will take few cables I'll have money for more modules:)
win-win

Thank you, Exposure! I appreciate your time.

I didn't have much time to practice the modular this month but I wanted to put something together before the month was off.

The bass is from the minibrute 2s and drums from the drumbrute impact. The melodic elements are from plaits. I was short on VCOs so I used one channel of the Zadar for that one duty, I guess you can listen to it better kind of droning around minute 3:40.

Everything was multi-tracked to ableton live for the final arrangement.

This is fantastic, you have a very unique style @mowse! I love the arppegios and filter sweeps, that bass hit is killer too. Well done!

It amazes me the wide range of sounds the DFMA is capable of. Well done, this is a great set, it is fun, groovy and danceable!

I'm five minutes in and already loving it, very trippy. Thanks for sharing!

cheers, mate! i have some checking out to do. have a great week!

It is very enjoyable playing on the TR09 and TB03 together and as you say the programming is very easy, the SH01 could almost definitely go.
Maybe I should actually strip out what I don't use in the rack and see if I miss anything.

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

I enjoy the X0X sequencing style, so if this was my system I would hold on to the TR09 at least. I take a hybrid approach to drums with a combination of euro and an RD8. The monosynth sounds are easier to replace in the rack, but something about the ease of sequencing with a hardware drum machine works for me.
But, I am of the opinion that it’s best to part with any gear you aren’t using. I don’t get sentimental about gear anymore. I know others here take a different approach. I figure you can always replace it if you feel like you made a mistake by selling it.

Would I be sad if I sold on my Roland Boutique TR-09 TB-03 & SH-01, and instead spend the money on Eurorack?

Bit by bit I'm creeping toward having a Drum/Percussion row. Though when I get a Pam's Workout+Expander I would've planned to hook up the Boutiques up via midi if I don't sell them.

I'm also getting to the point where I can see selling few modules and replacing them with others is going to take place now I see which ones I use most.

I'm probably going to end up with something like this - ModularGrid Rack

Enjoy your spare HP, don't rush to fill every last space, this is not like filling sticker books. Resist the urge to 'complete' your rack, its never complete so just relax.

https://youtube.com/@wishbonebrewery

Nice, different but still very @mowse. I wish I knew the secret to your synth lines, always very human and with a lot of energy.

We are already here on your planet earth>

For this patch, I took a complete different direction than usual. Instead of jamming a few good oscillators through filters and finding my way, I designed each individual sound to be a separate element of the track. Trident, DPO, and Plaits are modulated unclocked by DivKID ochd, so natural drift occurs beneath a clocked Mother 32 and DFAM. Additional space is created with Clouds and Mimeophon.

Hexinverter Mutant HiHats are pretty sick!

Hahaha, well it was a Friday night patch, but I fell asleep before recording anything...
Thanks! I'm still fairly new to modular and enjoying trying out different ideas, and I wanted to document this patch to reference later. I definitely plan on doing more with the drums, particularly interested in exploring connecting drum gates to the rack.

Thanks Garfield. Android-jazz is my favorite interstellar travel music. :)

Hi Farkas, Troux, all,

Farkas: Oh yes, a lovely nice long jam :-) Great stuff! Ha, ha, android-jazz, even haven't heard of it. I must be more careful next time when I am hyper spaced again and see if I come across some more android-jazz out there in hyper space ;-)

Well your android-jazz is certainly an interesting and good one! Thanks a lot for sharing this with us.

Troux, all: Oh yes, good idea, you guys give a great open air concert and the rest of us is hanging around at the bar with comfortable chairs in front of you guys and listening. I would definitely drink a few too many cocktails and enjoy your shows :-) I have been to Ibiza already, so how about meeting in Hawaii or something exotic I have never been before? ;-) Or if the neighbours of The-Erc have nothing against it, I don't mind your idea either ;-)

Thank you all very much, let's hope that Covid-19 is soon over and I can't wait for your concert(s)! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Quantum_Eraser,

Yeah, I know where you are coming from regarding the headphones, if I sit in a hotel room and listen music from my laptop (speakers) then I also put pretty soon my headphones on :-) Then, it's definitely better however at home or at your studio you should use some decent speakers then the audio pleasure is even better! :-) Positioning of the speakers is quite important though.

Kind regards, Garfield.

Thank you both very much!!

You know what? You are right about the Headphones.

I think It's just because that I listen to YT on my crappy Laptop Speakers and when I like
something I plug my Headphones in :-)

Hi Quantum_Eraser,

Oh yes, this is great stuff :-) At around 3:00+ I suddenly had a flash-back in memory to some well-known music but I can't remember if it's from Tangerine Dream or Vangelis or... just not sure however your music is really good!

He, he, I have to agree a bit here with The-Erc, why is everyone asking for using headphones? If your audio set is kind of okay, it usually can "display" the sounds much better than headphones. If I want to hear all the details, I go to sit in my listening chair and then I can exactly hear the stereo positioning, the depth, the sweet spots, just everything and with headphones that's less likely to happen.

Well, with speakers or with headphones, no matter how, your track is beautifully done and I look forward in hearing from you about your EP! Kind regards, Garfield.

Hi Waveofsilence,

Wow, if this is a morning jam of yours then I wonder how your evening jams are? :-)

Great, nice long track and a beautiful video where one can see you at work. Wouldn't have mind if you would have hit the drums either ;-) Or a zoom into your modular system!

Thank you very much for sharing this and kind regards, Garfield.

by the way – would you know of any colorful/lofi/characterful VCA:s?
-- diego_armadona

As a matter of fact, a few come to mind right off...

First up would have to be Bastl's TIMBER...VCA + wavefolder, which also has a crossfader function and an overdrive. Then you've got this thing from Erica, their Fusion VCA/Wavefolder/Ring mod which uses a pair of miniature pentode tubes, has dual VCAs and also functions as a 2-in mixer. And speaking of tubes, Purrtronics (they of the really nifty spring emulator) has a pentode VCA. And lastly, there's Blind Monk, and their Quad, which is a four-channel mixer/VCA/waveshaper which also does some stereo field tampering.

Nope, no you don't @the-erc, acid is the truth and we want more around here!
-- troux

Ha! The next stage is buying a 606 just for the hihats.

Nice work @farkas, really good flow especially. I'm thinking we need a @the-erc, @farkas, and @troux live show on Ibiza once Covid is over 🤣
-- troux

Thanks @troux. I’d be happy with a live show in Ithaca at this point. Lol.
-- farkas

I'll put the monitors in the back garden and you can all come round :)

Thanks @troux. I’d be happy with a live show in Ithaca at this point. Lol.

Nice work @farkas, really good flow especially. I'm thinking we need a @the-erc, @farkas, and @troux live show on Ibiza once Covid is over 🤣

Ceiling + gaffer tape. Lots of gaffer tape.

Thanks @the-erc. Gotta be honest, I have no clue how I would get a good overhead shot with the limited camera equipment I have. I’m 6’5”, so the tripod I have wouldn’t even get close if I’m standing instead of sitting. Haha

This was a nice evening trip.

Can you get an overhead view from your camera next time? Possibly only synth nerds would appreciate, but we would appreciate :)

Round of applause! Very nice stuff. Looking forward to the record.

Tangent : I hear people saying a lot "please listen on headphones" or, weirder, "this has lots of bass -- please use headphones". At my place, the computer is connected to a pair of big studio monitors which are much better than any headphones I own, so I always find this request bizarre. Is the intention :
- this has really detailed stereo imaging, you need headphones to really appreciate? Or,
- please respect my work and don't listen on a crappy phone speaker?

Thanks for taking the ride with me @zuggamasta. And, thanks for the kind words.

This is amazing, and a great exercise! Thank you for sharing the whole ride :)

My Plan to release an EP at the End of 2020 unfortunately didn't work out. You know...plans.....

So here's my new Track I recorded today.

Morphagene is playing backwards a slowed down Loop from the Song "Genesis of a New Goddess" from Arthuros.
The Morphagene goes into FX Aid (Lo-Fi Junky) Vult Freak Filter (Flame Distortion), the Desmodus Versio and the Qu-Bit Data Bender. Data Bender gives the Track that nice "Tape Decay" Sound over Time.

A Copy of the Morphagene Out goes to the Panharmonium. PH goes intro Clouds. The Panharmonium is running on 5 Oscillators.

Some slight Modulation on Gene Size and Slide on the MG from Ochd. Sloth Chaos takes Care of the Filter Resonance.

As always please use Headphones. And if you like it feel free to leave a comment, here or on YT.

thanks for taking this great time to delve into my rack! i will go through it and specifically consider your changes. thanks!

by the way – would you know of any colorful/lofi/characterful VCA:s?

One of our supportive members here suggested I should do a live streamed set, so I did a little practice session. This is fully 100% improvised from a completely random starting point so I could practice digging myself out of a hole in a live situation if necessary. I just went with whatever was already patched. I got into some groovy places via some abstract noisy backroads. The distortion/noise about midway through is intentional. I was trying out drums through the Moffenmix cranked into the Erica Black mixer for some disgusting overdrive.
I definitely need new headphones because I was not getting an accurate picture of the volume of some elements (headphone recommendations welcome!). Mistakes and glitches are an honest part of the process, I guess.
I guess it's post-minimal, post-electro, post-techno, post-industrial, android jazz. It was a fun learning exercise. Thought some of you might enjoy it.

This module’s depth is close to 40mm, not 25mm listed here.

Nope, no you don't @the-erc, acid is the truth and we want more around here!

Thanks guys. This is a really fun setup to play. I really need to stop myself from going "Hmmm, acid." every time I turn on the Werkstatt.

OK...I tore into this, figuring it was a simple enough rebuild...and then I started banging into the case's limitations. The aim was, of course, to try and keep as many of the original modules as possible, but some of those were just the wrong choices. So I tossed those, expanded the case (the build now fits into a Tiptop Mantis [or any other 2 x 104] and an Intellijel Palette 104), and restarted. With the larger cabs, this started all snapping into place and in a much more orderly manner. Provided MG's screenshot function is working (it wasn't when I posted this, so if you don't see the rack, just wait a while and come back to the post), here it is:
ModularGrid Rack
I'll go over the updates and reordering...

First up, the Intellijel cab offers a utility row at the top, with more than enough mults, your audio outs, power, and your MIDI in. In fact, since both of these cabs are powered, the uZeuses are gone.

Tile row: Added a single-channel MIDI interface, a Noise Tools, and a separate stereo out to a pair of the cab's 1/4" jacks. This leaves two of the 1/4" jacks unused, unless you want to branch the stereo out tile to both pairs of 1/4" jacks to allow a second stereo pair for separate processing, etc.

Row 1: It's the same modules until you hit the Zlob Triple Cap Chaos, which functions as a waveshaper and/or ring modulator. I co-located this with the Chainsaw VCO. PLL, then the dual 3-in mixer for summing oscillators, and after that there's one of two Codex Modulex's Veils clones. After that is the LPG (technically a VCA, so it's just past the Veils clone), then your two voice modules. The entire top row is your "voicing".

Row 2: All your picks, until we get to the middle. This is where I added a Batumi (more LFOs), a MISO (for altering/mixing/wrecking CV and modulation signals), and a Quadrax which now puts your EG count at 4. After that, your effects...I added a Tiptop ECHOZ along with the Data Bender and Monsoon. These all work in league with the main stereo mixer below.

Row 3: the little sliver is a Konstant Labs PWRchekr, which makes up for the lack of DC bus indications on the Mantis. ES-3 and 4 are co-located. Then all of the timing...Pam's, Little Nerd, RND Step (sample and hold, yes, but it needs the timing pulses) and your logic. Then a second Veils clone handles VCA duties for modulation and CVs. After the Squid Salmpler, there's a new stereo submixer to help get that down to a stereo feed. Then you now have a PROPER stereo mixer in there with the Praga/Hrad, which provides your final audio VCAs, plus CV over panning, CV over AUX send levels, your AUX returns, headphone pre (with cue), and main level control.

Not only does this layout make far more sense (and it also makes the build more intuitive to use), by going to the larger cabs, I was able to kick this all the way up in terms of having everything in there to make the majority of your original modules do what they SHOULD do. Now, some things were tossed out because the changes made them irrelevant (such as the Pip Slope), and I got rid of the drums in here because, tbh, drums added to a modular build are just...well, there's ways to do that, but they don't exactly fit in here at this point. You're actually better off using a proper drum machine with this, or outputting drums via VCV as direct audio into your DAW. But the results here do bear out the changes, I think, as this appears to be a much more capable build than the original. Its still a tad short on modulation sources for my tastes, but as it stands here, this should up your game considerably.