A move to another rack button on each module in a rack would be super useful.

That's my rack! You pasted the wrong link..
-- naught101

That's everybody's rack :)
-- modulargrid

;)

FWIW, it might be worth adding some validation to forum posts to prevent people posting those links - I've noticed it a handful of times in just the last week.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view
-- Circuit78

That's my rack! You pasted the wrong link..

I use a Behringer QX1002USB mixer. It work fine for direct audio.
-- naught101

I've read different opinions over the last few days. Some say its no problem, others say that now every mixer is suited, while some people say that you should not do this. :-)

-- Quantum_Eraser

To give you an idea of volumes, I run all my audio into a Ginko Synthese Mix, with all the knobs at about 10-11 O'clock (so 1/3?), any higher than about 12 o'clock and I get distortion (not sure if that's in the mix module, or the Behringer, I will have to check.). I run that output into channel 3 of the QX1002USB (this channel as not preamp gain control), and I have that volume at 9-10 O'clock (so, 1/4 volume?). I run the mixer outptut fader at around half for a loudish, but comfortable listening level (studio monitors and a sub in my bedroom). If I play audio from my computer at full volume through one of the other channels, I'd have that channel's volume control at about 12 o'clock.

Disting is definitely great for versatility, and if you're planning a bigger rack later, it can help you to know whether you need a module of a particular type (because you can use the Disting as that module, almost certainly). If you buy one, you will never need to get rid of it. But it's also a bit menu-divey, and it's impossible to remember what module is in which bank, so you need the manual at hand most of the time (or a cheatsheet). Then again, you're usually going to only set what module it's using once every few patches. Disting has a euclidean pattern generator included.

If you already have a midi controller, you might be better off using that with a midi -> CV converter than using the KB-1.

ADSRVCA looks like a very useful module, as it can be used as an LFO, and the VCA can be used separately from the envelope if you want..

Your rack link didn't work..

I use a Behringer QX1002USB mixer. It work fine for direct audio. However, I have had trouble with getting it to work as a USB audio interface (on Linux).

You need to link to your specific rack URL. You've given a generic link that shows each user their own current rack.

• Why are you getting in to modular? Sound design? Getting away from the computer? Composing? You can have more than one reason, and they can change, but it's good to lay out a bit of a vision first, to help guide your decisions..

• How big a rack to eventually want to head towards? If you want to have something small, then maybe the 2S and rackbrute would be all you ever need. If you want eventually build a huge rack, then a the Moog and and a 6U rack is probably a good starting point, because you can resell the rack and get a bigger one later.

• Are you interested in playing the rack at all? Or just controlling it externally? the 2S is probably the most playable option you've put forward. The SV1 or 0-Coast would need a sequencer (could just be your outboard devices).

As for starter modules, you probably want modules that don't duplicate functionality of your semi-modular. Wasp is cool, but you will already have good filters. The Moog has a noise source. EG is a good idea. Passive mults are useful. An extra VCA or two would probably be useful. It's probably not a terrible idea to think about a Disting mk3/4, because those things are small, can do nearly everything, and you can use them to figure out if you really need that new module that you think you need..

The ADSR sounds like a good suggestion.

Other than that, you have a LOT of stuff to explore. I would sit down with each module for a day to a week, and mess around with it, and read the manual. See how each plays with the others in the rack. You will learn a lot, and you will figure out which modules need to be moved.

Commit to doing that with at least half of your modules (the ones you don't completely understand) before you buy any more stuff - feel free to research other modules, but don't buy them immediately.. Then your next purchases will be much better informed.

So the heuristics you propose needs to be extended, somehow, or maybe replaced by a possibility for users to manually propose similar modules, ideally with a field to describe similarities and differences of the two modules (that would be really useful to make educated decisions before buying)

-- mcleinn

Yes, you're right - manual suggestions of similar modules would probably be far more accurate, given enough votes. If everyone's suggestions were recorded independently, too, then you'd have a measure of strength of similarity (number of suggestions).

I agree with your point about similar modules sometimes appearing in the same rack, however, I think given general scarcity (very few people have the resources to buy EVERY module they want, and so choices are going to be made between similar modules), it would still work to some degree. The question is just whether the signal would be stronger than the noise.

But yes, as I noted in the OP, it's definitely a partial solution, and I was hoping others would come up with additional constraints that might make it more useful (or even come up with entirely different and better options for an automated solution!).

Your particular example might be mitigated by putting higher weight on "similarities" found in smaller racks - if a rack is very large, then there's more chance that you might find a Maths and a Rampage. I doubt those two modules would ever appear together in a 1U 84HP skiff :)

What I have been searching is Filter module with both low and high pass. Do you have any suggestion ?

-- noopaul

Second for Wasp, too - it's my favourite filter at the moment.

God's Box Humpback filter also has LP/HP/BP/Notch, and two attenuated CV inputs. Sounds decent, and comes as a full DIY kit , so is cheap, and probably easy to find second hand. Also if you're into DIY, build yourself some passive vactrol low pass gates - they are super cheap, useful, and sound cool.

I just make a rack for modules I want, and another rack for modules I'm more vaguely interested in, but probably won't buy any time soon.. Make them 12U, 128HP. Plenty of space for a wishlist - if you really need more than that, just add more racks.

It would be super useful if each module page showed similar modules to the one you're currently looking at. I realise that this is not an easy problem to solve, but I figured it would be worth starting a discussion, as I have at least a partial solution:

Use the "similar racks" feature (with improvements suggested in the "feature request" thread), and look for modules that are not shared across similar racks. The idea here is that "similar racks" probably fall into vague rack-types, like sound-design racks, or live-performance racks, or ambient racks, etc. If a lot of sound-designy racks share a lot of modules, but rarely share two particular modules, then there's a fair chance that those two modules cover similar ground.

One example might be Make Noise Maths and Befaco Rampage - they aim to do similar things, and so it's unlikely that they'll appear both in a single rack. Another example might be something like Mutable Instruments Peaks and ALM's Pip Slope or Hikaki's Triple AD - each provides one or more simple, loopable envelopes, and so fills a similar niche in the eurorack ecosystem.

If there is any (anonymised) rack data available, I would be keen to have a crack at a proof of concept model for this.

What do you suggest to add more subtle changes over time? A second batumi?
And to restart lfo and enveloppes, something like a varigate 4+ could help in your opinion?

-- Utilisateur_2

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/nonlinearcircuits-triple-sloths-v2-magpie-black-panel

Yes please, to both of the "similar racks" suggestions - only count unique modules, and reduce (nearly) duplicate rack results from individual users.

Also, it would be nice if racks with different available space were down weighted. If I have a 3u skiff with 10 modules in it, I would prefer to see other similarly sized racks. I don't care about someone else's rack that has all my modules plus 90 others.

Maybe something like (number of similar unique modules)/(total rack space ratio [big:small]) would be a good metric.

There are some manufacturer-approve modules that have incomplete specs. For example, the Erica Synths Dual FX doesn't have a depth listed, or the URL on the Erica website. I'd like to be able to add that info, but the module is manufacturer approved, and so it's locked, and I can't add that info.

Is there any way to get that info added? There are more modules like this, too..