I'm building a tiny small software to run on a rasperry pi to control my modular, while it has no official release yet you could potentially try it out from here: https://github.com/zuggamasta/midiTracker and/or just let me know if you have any ideas and questions for a tracker-esque sequencer.

What a lovely little system! I enjoyed the low end of your patch a lot. The Source of Uncertainty will be a lot of fun to patch with maths and the 0-ctrl for sure.

It's always crazy for me to hear such full sets and arrangements on modular, as I first connect modular with techno and experimental music.

Super nice track! And the dancing Data display is always great to look at.

That's kind of the whole deal about (analog) triggers, I guess. The triggers can vary in length and voltage.

My Befaco Modules send pretty strong (10V?) and short pulses. The LL8 is some what slow and I think it's outputting less voltage.

I'm currently shortening some of the LL8 Triggers with Stages but also thought of getting something like this ADDAC217 to free Stages. https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac217

Very nice, driver update went well. The unpatching went well, too. I just skimmed through and will listen in full later.

For ambient music, as a second oscillator in addition to the versatile Plaits you can perhaps start with a double oscillator and a waveshaper
A serious cheap option
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/noise-reap-paradox-- (oscillator)
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/modulaire-maritime-tarot (waveshaper).
They are the ones I have in mind for my next case extension.
-- ferranadsr

The Noise Reap paradox is fantastic. And the latest version has some great additions (which make the module a little more crowded). I'm using the v1 in my rack and it's already very versatile.

ModularGrid Rack

attached the dark ambient rack from broken-form

We really can't have enough VCAs, right? For example for modulating your modulation, but yeah with veils and LPGs you should come a long way.

And a larger Case can also be nice to work with, even if it's more than half empty. I found myself enjoying 6U system with the top populated and the bottom only for input (on the very left) as well as output (on the very right) modules. And a heavier case will really help as soon as your plugging in two, four or even six instrument cables via the bored brain module ;)
Good luck and have fun!

Procrastinating and writing up a small report for the end of the year, feel free to take a look, too and chime in!

ModularGrid Rack

What Did I add in the last year?

• The Tesseract Texmix grew four stereo inputs. While I have little Stereo Soruces it has been great to experiment with Mono-to-Stereo Effects I might have been better off with two monos but limitations are good for creative choices
  • I added a sampler voice inside the rack, for purists this might be a bit harsh or space waste. But the Squarp Rample (currently still with it's stock sounds) works like a charm, has some live performance perks and is sitting better and better in the mix. I'll also need to consider getting a good pair of midi TRS adaptors for it to be fed with midi signals, too
  • Missed Opportunities. Fantastic module, I had to mount it upside down for space reasons inside the skiff but due to the color coded Bananuts I put on it, there is litte opportunity to plug something in the wrong way

Issues I solved:

• Good Repeatable Randomness, which results in more Procedural Drumgroves
  • Analog Kicks are cool, but I'm adding a lot more Interest on the Percussions with Rample
  • Using FXAid in the A effects loop and Disting in B gives a lot of opportunity to mess with effects and some stereo width

Issues I created:

• I might have too much audio sources and little modulation now
  • I REALLY need to check and write down which modules generate and expect what voltages. I'm still doing this blind right now
  • Even without knowing all voltages I will need to add an attenuvertion in the rack. Befaco ABC can do that, but ist often used in other places
  • Second Filter would be great to play around with the drums, or some light EQing

What is next?

• Due to some weird combinations I'm left with a 5HP gap and one last Power Connector in the top row. I'll probably fill this with a 5HP Befaco Attenuverter
  • Keep Making Music and experimenting more with the two Midi controllable devices, hoping they will play well in the future.
  • Listening to as well as making more music out of my comfort zone
  • Any suggestions?

Quick 2022 Wrap up:

Haven't been that productive with music this year somehow. But here's what happened in the meantime:

Patch050 - Lots of delay and some metallic bells from the Rample:

Patch052 - This and the next patch are based on the same session and share some core patterns, that get broken up by missed opportunities (highly recommend this one)

Patch053 - Really chaotic wild and quite heavy. I liked this a lot but other times it feels like a chaotic mess.

Edit: Come one, you can tell me when I paste the same video twice ;)

Simple fix: Name it "Pedals and more". I'm Looking through the new uploads right now and really getting a lot of inspiration and want to build some of my Hardware setups (which combine "pedals and more"). This plus some patch cables is even a lot more usable to me than patching on a modular synth setup.

Thank you for pointing out the EYESY, really a nice alternative. But during my research last night I noticed that I should probably build my own little soft- or hardware videosynth before spending more money on shiny little boxes.

And already sat this set up last year, with additional twitch features even so chat members got their own doughnut with a little name tag:

Thank you, now I need this module.
And a bigger case.

I only saw the mantis setup and thought: That's a nice rig to play with! Looks like a solid plan to follow.
Have fun creating and growing with this!

Yes! I tend to "mix" everything down on the synth already and only record a stereo sum. Really challenging as the synth voices are so rich and tend to fight each other a lot of times!

Bonus points for the well made Video and the DAW projection in front of you! Such a nice detail.

Just an Idea for your 2hp left.

Either keep them open for later expansion of a small nifty utility you need to accomplish something specific. Or something more utilitarian like a passive LPG, Meng Qi - DPLPG comes to mind (the frontplate is 2hp but the vactrols on the back are a tiny bit lager, which could make positioning a little tricky in such a packed rack.) Also it's passive! So you spare some Amps for the other modules ;)

17hp left. But I'm really happy with the latest additions.

Missed Opportunities:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/cutelab-missed-opportunities
My choice over mutable marbles, the random gates are cascading down, making it possible to generate rythmic drum patterns from just one clock. To make the randomness usable it's possible to reset the the current random sequence via CV and generate a new seed via a small button.

Rample:
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/squarp-instruments-rample
After a lot of back and forth I landed on this sampler. The four outs are automatically removed from the mix if you plug them in (super smart). The CV assignment is fantastic and easy. The default samples are great, too. I'll report on how well it works to add my own breakbeat slices. As I think this might be quite the hassle to set up. But worth it in the end.

twitter link to a small sketch showcasing how Missed Ops can trigger interesting repeatable patterns on the Rample

Thread: Change Log

Works well on iPhone/chrome (safari really, as it’s not build around actual chrome 😂)

Latest patch that I recorded. I'm a little puzzled where to go from here. On the one hand I want to do more rich compositions which would need more quantized CV options and some VCAs/LFOs. On the other Hand I'm still thinking to get some more sampled drum/background loops happening with something like the erica sample drum.

Open for any ideas.

I'm loving these Jamms in a box with all the additional camera work and detailed descriptions!

Keep it up.

Can you link to the MW thread @JimHowell1970 so others get redirected? I tried to find it but it seems to get lost in the stream of topics there.

Hey Garfield,

The Octasource looks great. I was also having an eye on the whole Joranalogue line of modules that seem to be some of the most powerful LFOs out there. As my heart is still pounding for chopped jungle/breakbeats the next module might be an Erica Synths Sample Drum (also more snare variations, yeah!). So you're surprisingly close with the Erica Modules.

Thank you for listening

Ordered oldest to newest so it will be easier to fill in the future.

Quite fast techno, I posted this before but it's still fun. First time trying out really long 3D sequences in a while:

I really love this kind of patch and had to build an animation for it:

The last one is an absolute favorite in a long time. Here the animation came first, it's a kind of modular patch in the 3D software blender. I created some basic character shapes an a node based system to randomly mix them together. I hope that it shows just a tiny bit that the synth patch is loosely based on how I remember Ryōji Ikeda tracks.

As I am not showing any video of the synth creating the tracks I also link the current rack layout.
ModularGrid Rack

Any Ideas what could be fun to try out next, my dear modular gridders?

Thank you, you two!
(Needed to look up "not the SOS" in the urbandictionary, haha. Thank you, I take it as a great compliment)

Thank you cmb_ it's a joy to have others listen in find something they like.

Motivated by the reassurance that I can patch the same modules out in its respective input link to Modular Grid Thread. I build this little patch. It is also using a square wave to low pass filter with little resonance as seen in one of the hip eurorack youtube channels. was a good exercise to build the ARP2600m patch on my own modules.

Feedback path is going from the mixers monitor back in to one of the Mono channels one the mixer. The feedback gets processed with Reverb and Overdrive from the Mutables ears. The Kick is also routed trough the Ears module, using Ears Envelope Out to duck the Main Bassline and Feedback path.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Still lots of things to learn and improve tho.

Thank you both! Difficult to control sounds to me like I should be looking for my 0 hp attenuators. Thank you for clarification. Maybe I'm a little too anxious to break stuff. ;) I'll start more self-patching then.

I have recently started to get my feet wet with feedback patching for soundscapes. I got some really good results by using the a monitoring out of the tex master back to a tex channel which has been a good experience. It's controllable and you can shape the sound with the effects and filter in the feedback path.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/patches/view/89161

Now to my question: 'Can I patch this modular grid sketch up. or Will feeding back Audio Rate Modulation to the same Oscillator from where It came hurt something? I plan to patch the A*B+C in the mix to be able to attenuate the Modulation.

I’ll take a listen tonight ❤️.
Thank you for the work on this!

Keeping this thread alive by dropping some more heavily lit jams.

I like some bits and pieces of this and dislike a whole lot. Next would be something this full and distorted but with more control over pitch and more variation detail in the drum voices. Any suggestions and patch ideas are more than welcome.

Before I forget: This is not using my tiny ORCA midi sequencer form the last post, but for the curious I made a tiny guide and put it on the ModWiggler DIY section as it's not a eurorack only thing: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=257717

(I made a note for myself to go back and listen to this on good headphones after having a quick listen on the go, so here is a "full" review, haha)

I really enjoyed this jam and I wouldn't have noticed a to loud clap/snare without you pointing it out. Gets me in the mood to buckle up and have a long night of coding/programming.

Tips for future jams? While sounding great you could transpose and move the bassline a bit and go und and down some halftone steps to shift into another mood. Then staying there for a while and coming back to your root note. But that's more personal preference than anything else.

Keep wiggling those knobs!

Sounds like 20 Mantisses, so that's what I would ca a job well done!

The new ORCA / Midi sequencing also gets some nice paraphonic chords out of this system. so much more to explore still!

Next on my DIY list is a front panel to mount the small device inside the case (power will be separate to keep the poor PSU from melting). I did a first test from foam board and now need to learn how to solder extra USB sockets to the front. This would also open up the possibility to mount the display vertically. (The display is really nice and sharp irl but always a little muddy on photos.)

imgur

Very nice, and way too short ;)

(How many HPs are hidden in the dark?)

This rack is insanely fun to use. Now with a RaspberryPi Running ORCA as main cockpit, controlling master clock and CV sequences. Also new lighting ;)

I heard some crazy things about Assimil8or but never seen nor touched one in real life ;)

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/rossum-electro-music-assimil8or

I sent something! (late as usual)

I've literally no saved files, might have to try a Youtube downloader thing.
-- wishbonebrewery

before you fry your machine with some malicious program, you can also try to pull the MP4 from youtube (in the videos settings when logged in) and then render only the audio with a program like Premiere Pro or even Blender (free, but a little weird for this task)

I really need to get my stuff together and record. But all current patches are just soooo messy.

I was just looking at the Rample and Erica Sample drum. Would you be willing to share your thoughts on the two?
Which one of the two would be more suited for chop up breakbeats. Thank you in advance!

Oh yes, can’t wait! Good chance to set up the iPad to continuously record and pick out some good parts later 😀💪

Already excited to hear what everyone sends in this year.

I reorganized the rack. Upper row is modulation now, lower row most of the voices. I started this due to the fact that Stages was already crammed in every patch if sitting in the lower row. And Ears is also back in a reachable position.

before:
ModularGrid Rack

after:
ModularGrid Rack

The position of the 2hp sine is a little fiddly as it is pretty long and could potentially touch the connectors on the back of the skiff.

I tried to document a lot of my first 98hp 3u build here: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/9200

It has been a joy to build and use. Furthermore it has the approval from some of the strictest pros on this forum 😀

88 & 114 hp are weird sizes - ie not standard rails sizes are you going to use wood rails? - I've tried this and personally I wouldn't advise it - when using aluminium rails (and preferably threaded inserts - seriously much better than sliding nuts) it's much easier to stick to standard sizes!!

For small systems I don't understand the need for fixed threaded inserts over sliding nuts. With the sliding nuts you get a free (well, probably over 1500$) shaker,too!
On a serious note the casefromlake boxes look amazing and functional! I wonder if I should have gone down that route as my system currently would need a case for travel.

I'd suggest some utilities like a Befaco A*B+C. Adds a flexible Attenuverter, Offset generator, Ringmodulator or even two times linear VCA to your system :) I use mine in every patch I make.

New Sounds from the rack, take a listen here:

I added Kick ALL and some more modulation to the rig with Stages, and I couldn't be happier. This is still stock Stages firmware as the other one seemed a little too overwhelming. If I had to get something righ now (I don't plan to), I'd grab either another module that can quantize CV to free the Disting, an Buffered Mult or some more Attenuverters. But that's for another day (year).

Also: Thank you Lugia, I watched a lot of NUTONE demos when you told me about them. But more modulation & utilities first!

Hey there people,

I've either burnt some components during soldering or the Befaco Kickall just sounds best with really short triggers. It's all soft and bouncy with the regular LL8 trigger. But it has a whole lot of punch when I tighten the trigger length via the Becafo RAMPAGE Rise Out.
Now I was wondering: I like to free the Rampage from kick drum duty. So I considered some options to get a shorter trigger signal and I'd like your opinion and modules I haven't considered yet:

Gate to Trigger:
* Solution A: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/addac-system-addac217 ADDAC217 looks nice and has mutes, but I have already a lot of ways to mute tracks in my system.
* Solution B: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ground-grown-circuits-gate-to-trig Gate to Trig seems like a perfect fit but I can't find anything on this module outside of MG

Function generators:
* Solution C: A second Befaco RAMPAGE. Really nice solution but a bit HP hungry and expensive.
* The Befaco Slew Limiter looked like a single RAMPAGE channel at first, but doesn't have the Rise and Fall Outs.
* I also could not find any single channel Function generators that have the respective outs.

Any other tools/utilities I might have missed?
In general the function generator seems like the better deal as it would enable the new trigger to have CV-able lengths.