mengqimusic.com

audio : https://mengqi.bandcamp.com/track/lights-are-from-a-window

mengqimusic.com

Emotionally, "what for dinner" is my most important decision in a day. As good choices bring essential daily happiness.

Technically, Just Type is the main sound source, a Mangrove to beef up low end. Two Sisters, one in crossover mode for tone shaping, another in format mode for intense effects, sometimes percussive.

I think the charm lies in the method of polyphony stacking to distortion (a thing to avoid in "normal" sense) for timber morphing. And occasionally jumping modulations to provide a feel of paragraphs.

mengqimusic.com

mq computer 2

updated - touch replaced by more "patch compose", as my virtuosoship is dedicated to a future instrument.
升级了——触摸替代为更多 “连线作曲”,因为我的演奏会专注于未来的一个乐器。

I escape from "endless possibilities", aiming for complexity I can handle, to avoid machines taking over expressions.
我逃离 “无穷的可能性”,力求自己能掌控的复杂程度,防止机器统治表达。

essentially, building a custom system is to set up workflow by reducing complexity.
组装客制化系统的核心目的,是通过降低复杂性而建立流程。

balance : don't want more, yet won't settle for less.
平衡 :不需要更多,也不能更少。

too many wires so the faceplate won't close.
when I powered this unit up, I found complex noise at TR inputs of teletype coming from floating opamp inputs.
they travel through TR threshold so scripts may trigger randomly, even touching faceplate affects it.
a bit daunting at first, soon replaced by curiosity of exploring unusual expresssions.
里面线太多,合不上面板了。
接电之后我发现在 teletype 的 TR 输入端有复杂的噪音信号,它们来自浮空的运放输入。
这些信号在输入的阈值上下浮动,所以不同的脚本被随机地触发。触摸模块面板竟然会影响这些动作。
一开始感觉有些可怕,不过很快被其中可挖掘的不寻常表现力吸引了。

btw, it's ceremonious to have designs of peter, gil, brian, oliver in a small box.
在同一个小盒中放入这四个人的作品有种仪式感。

mengqimusic.com

Thread: ifm plank

piezos on the back of touch modules,
cuts on rail that allow fr4 bends.
touch - squish
titanium is cold and walnut is warm.

触摸板背后安了压电片,
盒子上面挖槽所以电路板有空间弯曲。
触摸——挤压
钛很凉,胡桃木有体温。

http://mengqimusic.com

mengqimusic.com

a minimalist music computer, where digital polysyntheticism meets touch sensitive relabi.
rolz + eurorack + cherry mx blue + black walnut

i think perfection is balance in dynamics. for electronic musical instruments, it's of digital & analogue, generative & control, deterministic & improvisational, scarcity & redundancy... and freedom to travel between them by preference and coincidence.

我认为完美是动态中的平衡。对于电子乐器来说,是数字与模拟、生成与控制、确定与即兴、缺乏与冗余…和在其中有意与无意的行走。

http://mengqimusic.com/

mengqimusic.com

Thread: mocante case

mengqimusic.com

You are welcome!
1 pad recalls 1 page, and per page there are 6 voltage values, each for 1 output.
so you can play pitches on 6 oscillators at the same time.

mengqimusic.com

Hello there, I can't understand some functionalities. For instance, why 6 outputs instead of 1 only ? Probably all outs are normalled to the 1st one, letting the user to can use each individual output in order to tune pads individually and/or to drive 6 different sound generators? Moreover, how many pages the 12 pads fill? 2 pages, right?
freemod

there are 6 tracks so 6 outputs,
each combination of bank button would recall a "bank" of 12 "pages",
each pad would call a "page" which contains 6 voltage values, one for each output.
so there are 84 pages in total.

mengqimusic.com

a self-contained eurorack system
instant and tactile like an acoustic instrument

1. hardwired connections between Folktek Matter and Meng Qi Seashore;

2. tonal / atonal audio from Skot Wiedmann HYVE / IFM Mr.Grassi, travels thru body into various points within Matter;

3. left/rightmost inputs on Seashores are equipped with jacks, thus touch-controlled external signal injection / feedback are convenient;

4. Meng Qi DPLPG provides smooth vactrol based voltage control of volume and tone;

5. Recovery Effect Cutting Room Floor offers pitch shifting looping / delay / faux reverb, and is sensitive to incoming volume;

6. bottom jacks on ADDAC Size Matter is connected to a D-Class amplifier, a hefty built-in surface transducer provides strong sound and vibrations to feel with body.

it went through a few revisions.
I hope it stays in the fine line between redundancy and scarcity, like a well designed standalone instrument.

video : vimeo.com/184161013
sc :
buy file : https://mengqi.bandcamp.com/track/duet-with-myself

mengqimusic.com

mengqimusic.com

It is back to the old smaller pic now?

mengqimusic.com

Today I come here and found all the module images have become bigger and lovely.
I totally love this update.
Great work!!!!!

mengqimusic.com

https://instagram.com/p/3IyowTrvDO/

mengqimusic.com

New features !!! Seq Reset & 6 Track Gate Sequencer

New Manual :
https://copy.com/NuhiBEawgnjfHxwX

Please send email to mengqimusic [at] gmail [dot] com
for firmware file!

Enjoy!

mengqimusic.com

Today is Chinese New Year Eve, Happy Chinese New Year! 春节快乐!

mengqimusic.com

It is very fast to write sequences in Voltage Memory.

mengqimusic.com

Meng Qi 孟奇 - Sweet Morning Drone 甜美清晨的嗡嗡

mengqimusic.com

Meng Qi - NONRANDOM BURSTS

mengqimusic.com

Somehow you managed to combine Dark Knight cinematography with modular synths. Great!
-- solitud

Haha thank you! ;)

mengqimusic.com

A new track with this system - a programmed expression

mengqimusic.com

A new track with this system - Two Notes In Parallel

mengqimusic.com

Video of me playing this patch :

mengqimusic.com

Patch different pitches on ch1 of VM, playing 2 pitches in a series with finger holding on the 1st pad, then the 2nd note would play a 2nd pitch while the 1st hold the original pitch.

mengqimusic.com

A video showing (a simpler version of) this patch : http://instagram.com/p/wn91e1LvL3/?modal=true

mengqimusic.com

A Voltage Memory housed in a dedicated 30HP wooden box.
Can be built with 1/8 or banana jacks (with ground jack).