Here's a video of the upcoming Shakmat Clock O'Pawn mk2 playing all the drums.

https://www.instagram.com/konstantine.f/reel/Cz1AHSPtFWE/

View this post on Instagram            A post shared by Konstantine (@konstantine.f) 

All rights reserved, all wrongs reversed.

There's a discussion here: https://www.modwiggler.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3977886#p3977886

Cool, thanks for pointing this one out.

Although, frankly, it's just one more module in the huge list of modules that needs a firmware update.

... where did we go wrong?!

Ladik also has the Composer N which is one of my favourite modules. I can heartily recommend it. I do think Sebsongs will also offer prebuilt units at some point in the future, if I am not mistaken.

Hey, I modified your upload a bit and merged previous versions together. Thanks for the upload!

The discussion on MW is pretty cool, and it is looking to be a cool module. I am considering supporting it as I like the visuals. Hope they include some of the suggested modes (wink wink).

Even I usually just reach out to manufacturers, but if you do run into something that needs to be updated, you can always ask them, and if that doesn't work, you can always ask in the forum.

@Lugia, I think the biggest issue is with too many tags on a module, not so much with too little. A typical example of that is the Expander tag, which also comes with a bunch of other tags with the Expander does not do on its own, so, why would I want that to come up in a search where I am looking for that functionality? I don't, and yet I usually have to go in and edit tags out.

Oh well.

@Ziqal Personally I'm ok with no gate outputs anywhere. It's up to the user to mult the MIDI (this sometimes works with a TRS split cable) via an external device or even using a few of the available MIDI mult modules available. That would allow the user to plug to a MIDI-to-CV module and use the gates from there. Additionally, some MIDI-to-CV modules (I'm thinking of Flame) have MIDI Thru, so that would also work just fine. So, for me, SYNC input as TRS MIDI Input would suffice.

That being said, if you allow for a 2hp expander as you suggest, would the MIDI connection happen via pins the back? That would be ideal, as that would allow for modules that have their MIDI outputs as pins in the back to connect directly to the ZIQAL with no cables, which is always nice.

Finally, if you want to avoid redesigning the PCB to add expanders, I can suggest a simple workaround. Use SYNC for MIDI IN, and set an option so that one of the L/R outputs sends a gate when incoming MIDI messages are received. That would be an option for the user that doesn't have a way to get gates otherwise (although I do believe that's up to the user to handle, this is an oscillator you're offering, it's not your responsibility to handle the MIDI-to-gate, in my opinion)

PP.

@Ziqal You've already found a solution for #1. I don't get #2, can you explain what the "reset of the system" means? Am I right to assume that you're firing internal envelopes to control the "voices amplitutes etc" ?

Just make sure it's type A and I'm onboard. Being able to take advantage of the full polyphony is important.

@Ziqal so there is no way to control the different voices separately other than the on-board chord options? Man, that's a big deal-breaker, at least for me. I'd be ok with just MIDI pins on the back, there are passive workarounds. It's too bad I wasn't aware of this design earlier, I would've pitched the idea to you when the PCB was still in design.

Looking forward to more demos I guess.

Hi @Ziqal, do you have any plans of adding a TRS MIDI input or an expansion, even via pins on the back, in order to take advantage of the 24 voice polyphony fully? Preset chords isn't going to cut it, that's why I'm asking.

Given that the Bitbox is technically a tiny little computer hiding inside a Eurorack cab, I tend to approach it so that it can dedicate as much of its operation to audio synthesis. So getting a bit LESS going on with it is one of those things that I, at least, would feel good about as it should do better at its "mission" with less going on inside of it.

-- Lugia

See, this is why I like to ask these questions. I'm fully aware of what is out there and how to go about Eurorack, but getting some insights like this, an approach to something that is meaningful yet different to your own, that I find enlightening. I guess I need to find an octa-filter as well! :)

Keep in mind that the Count is a bit quirky, it only has 7 outputs which means it doesn't do your standard base-8 counting. And no reset! Arrythmia is amazing and everyone should have one.

@Lugia, you don't need the Timewizard if you have the Godfried there. Godfried can do any division possible on its own. Also, you can assign external pulses to change the preset and get some kind of sequenced divisions. It is The shit!

Can you please expand on your use of a VCA after the Bitbox? I added an octa-VCA after my Micro to be able to change the levels but I'd love to hear your thought behind the combination. Technically, you can assign a CV input on the Bitbox to control the level.

Thread: Free Jazz!

Btw, do you use the same handle on Youtube? I'd like to check out your stuff too!
-- baltergeist

I have some gigs up as Konstantine via the Copenhagen Powwow group, from a few years back. And probably a concert or two from Basic Electricity in Berlin. I'll see if I can dig up some links with the jazzier stuff and send them over via PM. I also have some older videos up on Instagram.

So an unsteady stream of snare and gongue hits, enhanced by small grains here and there, of said sounds, re-pitched, and extended or shortened?

And am I right to assume you have the setting of Density towards the random side ?

But is your Bead's mix fully wet or do you allow for the incoming sound to pass through? Checking your bandcamp as well, different direction, but I like it, although I'm more interested in your jazz work.

Hey, if you want some modular sax instead of acoustic, I'd be down to help with the tracks. I like working with physical modeling of brass sounds on the modular and it would fit nicely with the concept.

I really like the recordings. I'd be interested to hear more about how you set up the percussion via Beads. I'm very much into modular jazz (I have some stuff up on YouTube which might fall under this category), so very curious about your percussion in terms of sequencing, and processing etc.

They are already in the MU format where they belong ;)

It wasn't a Eurorack module, deleted. Thanks!

The cat's demands are apparent: clean up your mess (and it'll go away). :)

And if it doesn't, consider this: did I add a module on my case that was a recent addition? If so, a kind and diligent moderator might have cleaned up the mess of people uploading duplicates because they didn't bother searching before uploading a new module. :) So if refreshing still doesn't make a module appear, look for the original module that was supposed to be there.

Hey this is nice. Good work!

I'll try to see if we can get @modulargrid to make the Panel Selector option more apparent. It would solve a lot of issues I think if more people started using it.

Use the Panel Selector feature.

Duplicating modules is something we should be avoiding not indulging. How many instances of Monsoon or Clouds are really needed? 15 Monsoons? Really? Would it hurt to use a different black/silver/white/xxx panel instead of the one you own? Can't you upload it in private if you really need yet another alternative? Do you really need anything more than the power specs for a module you have in private?

But doesn't that change the default image for everyone? While I wished people would stop adding separate "whatever panel" versions to the database, I'm not sure the current implementation is sufficient. Or am I missing something?
-- senor-bling

Using the Panel Selector doesn't change the image for everyone. Editing a module and adding yet another image does, BUT the users can then use the Panel Selector to go back to the previous panel they had. It's still there so it's not so much of a problem.

Having the same module 10+ times is more of a problem, so if you really have to choose, it's better to edit an existing version than adding yet another iteration of the same. Unless it's a different manufacturer (e.g. some of the clones have different manufacturers, meh), so pay attention.

At some point I'll merge most "Other / Unknown" duplicates into one and write "USE PANEL SELECTOR" in the description :)

Done.

Anyone who namedrops the Shaggs is automatically correct and wins all arguments.
Seriously though, my only gripe is using ROMplers as a bad type of synthesizer. I completely disagree - granted the UI for most were far from perfect - they're still very powerful synthesizers that went underused. I know some types of synthesis fairly well, and I own several modular systems, but I'm still taken aback by the vast options in a mere XV2020 that would be deemed obsolete by most people.

Maybe the'll make a resurgence when people figure out how powerful they are?

I digress. Fair points all in all, and more true nowadays. Lots of shiny modules to go around in the second hand market ... and more photos of cases with the same 'ol modules again and again.

Thank you! It works perfectly for me, let's see what others say. I understand that it's useful to be able to have 1U/3U/all option as a drop-down, but it got a bit frustrating to have to change that part back to full size every time.

Many thanks!

Hm, am I the only one that gets irritated that the default search function has All Sizes included? I liked how 1U was hidden unless you turned on that radio button but now whenever I hit Reset I get to see all the 1U modules in there. Would it be possible that the Reset also retains/remembers the last Height selected? It does remember the radio button statutes.

Or am I just being weird?

Admittedly I'm impressed you are all so willing to put the effort. I won't get into the nitty gritty of the matter, but I do feel impressed about how strongly some people feel about helping newcomers to the format of modular. I guess cleaning up MG isn't that dissimilar - so we're all a bit weird after all :)

I'd be happy to do some proofreading (it's part of my profession) if you need it.

There are several issues/parameters that you haven't factored in:

a) How do you tag each module? Is it a tag? Is it a behind-the-scenes parameter?
b) Who will do the tagging? Modules are uploaded by users. The same users who up till now don't usually bother using the "panel selector" option which has been there for ages and instead prefer to have multiple instances of the same module with different panels. I'm not going to go through 7k modules to make the appropriate tagging. I doubt anybody else will.
c) Where do you place multiple instances of the same module when a DIY option is there and the official manufacturer does not want non-original panels in their group of modules?
d) If you want it as a parameter, in the same manner as Filter/Effect/VCA/etc then again b) is an issue, as well as the fact that you'll now have an extra parameter that needs to be factored in when sorting the modules.

All of this work just so you can search by panel colour, where searching for a module will bring you all the instances of the module so you can quickly select it. Not worth it IMHO. Panel colour is far from an important factor when searching.

My 2 cents.

PS: if I could I'd merge all instances of the same module under one instance, and have users swap panels using the panel selector. Not possible when manufacturers lock their modules with different panel colours (2hp I'm looking at you) as official. You search their modules and they seem to have double to available options. A shame, but that's what you get when people don't care for simplicity.

Is it possible to add a colour category to modules? Even if the options are just black, silver and other, it would be handy to filter modules by faceplate colour sometimes.
-- Tranquillitatis

And how exactly would you know/tag each module based on panel colour?

@modulargrid Would it be possible to add notes/comments under a patch without having to create a new thread in the forum? I'd like to keep some notes, or maybe a description, about a patch I'm making, but I don't necessarily want to make this public.

No out 3. Two out 4's.
-- Guitarsenal

It's a prototype, mistakes happen :)

For anyone still looking, Flame has a newer version of this module, with the same form factor.

You can use the "Contact the manufacturer" button to reach out the owner/lock-responsible of the module and ask them to change the specs as necessary. Unfortunately, I agree, there are some locked modules that need an update. I run across them every now and then and ping the manufacturer accordingly.

Thanks!

Thread: Bug Report

Found a bug when searching for 6hp sequencers. Seems that a lot are duplicated for some reason but it's not two modules, it seems to be the search. Screenshot available but can place here.

Super nice. Thanks for the addition of the minimalist rack! Super useful for me!

Thread: Chinese Spam

What's the prerequisite? There are a few posts here and there with SPAM. Should I continue deleting or should I post the user here? I can't stand these posts, so I'm inclined to delete them when I see them.

How is the current available sizes not suiting you? I'm already using the racks to figure out what to put in my three Pods.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/forum/posts/index/user_id:158083 added lots of chinese spam posts which I deleted manually.

I've been sad all day long...

Haven't had any problems yet

Hmm, doesn't seem to be a problem on my Android phone. Works as usual. I don't have an iPad. In any case, Esc should be just fine. You don't have to keep this solution if it's causing an issue to users (although I admit I liked it!).

Gimme a second to verify on my Android phone.

@solitud

I see that the pop-up menu now disappears when the mouse is outside the boundaries of the case. That's smooth!!!

I veto this request.

Hmm, the ones with the letters are tricky ones. I'd go with the reverse but others might disagree:

Arrow up > Alphabetic : modules with letter Z first
Arrow up > Manufacturer: manufacturers with letter Z first

Seems that depth works the wrong way? I'm trying to sort MyModules by depth and even though the arrow points upwards I get the modules with no depth on top. Is that normal? It doesn't make sense. I also get the shallowest modules on top and that is wrong.

By comparison arrow in Popular points to the most popular, in Newest points to the newest. I'd expect it to act the same way for Depth, it should point to the most deep.

Not sure about that. I managed to fit an ADDAC812VU which is 35 mm deep, with no problems.