Hello dear community, I've challenged myself for approx. a month recolting super nice spots on Plaits of Mutable. There are a lot of different kind of sound, showcasing the wide variety of timbre Plaits can offer.

Nice demo that really shows off how versatile Plaits is! Some people find the sound out of it flat, but it's a very good base to work with. Its mini-Rings mode + Ruina Versio = instant metal, for example.

I really like the cello player - it's exactly the sound Autechre uses here and there and I need to try and copy it. Any hints are welcome.

I've been using Plaits next to one analog osc, a drum machine and a noise generator for three months now because that's all I've got. Just now that I've ordered my next batch (which includes a Klavis Twin Waves mkii), your video made me realise I had completely forgotten about the internal LPG/VCFA. Now there's a completely new dimension to my use of Plaits ready for exploration...

Modular playlist on SoundCloud

I love it as a LFO, i have spent close to 2 K for several complex, modulateable LFOs before discovering Plaits LFO mode - all the weird CV shapes you can dream of.

I love it as a LFO, i have spent close to 2 K for several complex, modulateable LFOs before discovering Plaits LFO mode - all the weird CV shapes you can dream of.
-- znort101

OK, another feature I wasn't aware of... It's in firmware 1.1. I checked and mine is that version. I actually checked by enabling colour blind mode, also in 1.1, and it worked ;-)

How do you check which version firmware?and whats the procedure to update firmware on plaits

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

iirc there are only 2 firmwares - the original doesn't have lfos - no idea how to check as mine is pre that firmware and I never upgraded it

the update procedure is usually in the manual for mutable modules

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

How do you check which version firmware?and whats the procedure to update firmware on plaits
-- Broken-Form

The way I did it, was by trying if the color-blind mode works. You can find the details here: https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/firmware/ But basically, you turn on the module while pressing the right button. Instead of red/green LEDs, you'll get two levels of brightness. If that works, then you have v1.1, which is the latest.

and good news the LFO mode is also accessible if you have the alternative firmware of Lylem, which I appreciate a lot!

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/plaits-with-frequency-locking-and-aux-crossfade-alt-firmware/17340

I did a quick (1min) How to with the new FM engine, it's a no brainer :)

How do I enable LFO mode? I have an ALA Beehive. I can put it in color blind mode. But I don't see the "chasing lights" pattern mentioned on the Mutable Firmware page (https://mutable-instruments.net/modules/plaits/firmware/). Also, all settings of the Frequency control still sound like audio range. No LFO. Do I have to do something else after going into color blind mode in order to enable LFO mode?

do you have the correct version of the firmware installed - I'd upgrade to the latest version that your module will allow - I think it's the one just released - but check 1st...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

How do I enable LFO mode? moosapotamus

hold left button, turn up harmonic(to reset its zero point), then turn harmonic all the way down.

Thanks, Jim & fretless. I followed that procedure. The two bottom model leds light up once harmonic is turned all the way up and stay lit while I turn harmonic back down, then they go out when I release the left button. And no chasing leds, and still no LFO action.

BTW, just curious, where is that procedure documented?

Maybe I'll try Jim's suggestion, but install v1.1 instead of the most recent v1.2. Since I can go into color blind mode, I assume that I already have v1.1, but that's the way the module came to me. Maybe a reinstall will do it?

Also curious, does v1.2 retain all the features of v1.1 (color blind mode and LFO mode) as well as the 8 new models?

Also curious, does v1.2 retain all the features of v1.1 (color blind mode and LFO mode) as well as the 8 new models?
-- moosapotamus
Yes.
I would suggest just installing the newest firmware, as opposed to 1.1.

while holding the left button, and turning up harmonics, the model lights should light up- in order- all the way to the top. each light representing a tuning higher than the last. The LFO setting is found below the lowest pitch setting.

while holding the left button, and turning up harmonics, the model lights should light up- in order- all the way to the top.
-- fretless19

OK. That's definitely not happening. I'm off to install v1.2. Thanks!

v1.2 installed and all is well! Thank you! Very cool stuff! So, it's the right button, not the left. I pro'lly should'a picked that up the first time I read the manual... Doh! But it's all good now! Thanks, again for the help!

Two powerful modules all together in a drone/industrial/post apocalyptic ambiance. Quadrax and Plaits.

Two powerful modules all together in a drone/industrial/post apocalyptic ambiance. Quadrax and Plaits.

-- -ADR-

I literally just updated to firmware v1.2 on Plaits Friday night and have been extensively playing with the Orange settings...great, great stuff.

Thanks for sharing your video explorations! :)

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

You are most welcome, as the unique person she is, Emilie thrown a stone on the water when offering a last update while closing her business, and yes, what an update!

-- -ADR-

I literally just updated to firmware v1.2 on Plaits Friday night and have been extensively playing with the Orange settings...great, great stuff.

-- Jukeshoe

awesome stuff,i tried updating to last firmware playing from my laptops headphone out into plaits,but it failed,have to try from my phone maybe

https://www.facebook.com/BrokenFormAudio

Got a Mantis Case and a Grandterminal+expander for sale,PM Me

-- -ADR-

-- Jukeshoe

awesome stuff,i tried updating to last firmware playing from my laptops headphone out into plaits,but it failed,have to try from my phone maybe

-- Broken-Form

It took me about 10-15 tries to get it to work, it was a bit of a hassle, but well worth it!

It really wants you to dial the "gain" in to the 2-3 LED range, anything above is too loud and will give you the red lights. Anything below is too quiet and the signal doesn't seem to transfer.

I ended up switching from one laptop to another, and while dialing in the gain settings, finally got it to go thru.

Keep trying! :)

Detailed instructions under 'Firmware Update Procedure' can be found
here.

Note: it says to start with the dial at 12 oclock, but if the gain's too low, it really wants you to start it at a higher level, or at least that's how I got it to eventually work. If you try to start it and then up the gain, it doesn't seem to work. I'd start at 12 and if that doesn't do the trick, then try initiating the sequence with the dial in a more clockwise position. :)

“You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche