Do all modules in a rack need to use the same power supply?
Say you were tentatively wanting to get into modular, to dip your toes in just a little bit, because you already have the Moog DFAM and Mavis, and are thinking about starting very small, just a few modules to enhance those two. One at a time, as you can afford. Could a person in this position buy an unpowered case and mount the Moogs into it while keeping the power supply as is for the time being, with the standard wall wart adapter used when they are standalone on a desktop; and then as you acquired this or that module you could power it with the ribbon in the rack and build from there, and then switch the power to the Moogs, if necessary?
Or do they need to use the ribbon to go into the rack in the first place?

Hi,
I don't understand your question very well.... My advice would be:
-Leave the moogs in their boxes, since they take up a lot of space and power in the rack.
-Use the power supply of the rack for the modules that you buy.
-A rack can have different sources and feed different modules, by rows, for example. Imagine a 12U rack with two PSUs, one for each 6U rows.
Best regards,

don't skimp on power... failing to do it's job when you have a case full of modules is annoying at a minimum... and whilst any damage to either the modules or the power supply can usually be repaired it can take quite a while... and diagnosing what's been damaged can take quite a bit of time...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

I’ve thought of the same question “do all modules need to be on the same power supply”.. but more from an electronics POV.

I’ve thought of the same question “do all modules need to be on the same power supply”.. but more from an electronics POV.

I have 2 cases that use multiple power supplies - never had a problem...

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Modular, it’s both very simple and very complicated.
It’s like a wedding reception: you can choose the venue (a dream case), you invite whoever you want (some cool modules), each can be placed ‘just about’ anywhere you like but be careful: you have to make sure that everyone will have enough to eat and drink (power requirement), otherwise you'll spoil the party!
Ah, also, anticipating the outs in the ins, being far-sighted ;)

'On ne devrait jamais quitter Montauban' (Fernand Naudin).