Howdy everybody!

I got my copy of Allen Strange's book a few weeks ago from the Kickstarter and felt inspired. I put this patch together based on the Dream Machine patch on p85 and was pretty happy with the results, so I figured I'd share it here : )

Main voice is After Later Beehive (micro Plaits) 2op FM going through one of the low pass filters in QuBit Tone. I have it enveloped by Maths ch1, whose "Both" input gets the random CV from Wogglebug that determines the tempo, so slower tempos get longer notes and faster tempos get snappier notes. I'm sending a slower/subdivided selection of notes to Paradox, which is then mixed with some noise and fed into nRings to create the underlying pad. An even more sparse trigger gets sent to self-oscillating Ripples for some bass-y punches every once in a while.

The main sequence was created by mapping the positions of the letters of the alphabet to approximate positions on the sequencer's knobs (eg A = 0/26, B = 1/26, etc) and I used the letters A S T R A N G E as the shape of the sequence. It's then mixed with random voltage and quantized, but I still felt pretty clever haha

Hope you enjoy!

Nice patching! Thanks for sharing . I haven’t had a chance to sit down with the Strange book yet, but it is really cool to hear examples created directly from the book. Cheers!

Thanks! I know Make Noise did some videos a few years back on some of the example patches, and with the new release JDanielCramer of Poly Krell fame started a new series as well. Good stuff!