ModularGrid Rack

I'm trying to get this case to work but went over power so got recommended the Behringer CP1A which solves power issues. Looking for some feeback on these modules.

at moment I have
Pams
Xpan
Mimeophon
Qpas
1 x Instruo VinCA
Instruo Csl
Instruo OCHD
MFX

I have Maths which Im thinking of replacing with XPO, Plaits which I'm changing for Coral.

Thanks

Hi,
I think you will need more power for this rack. CP1A only gives 1A +/-12V.
With current modules, you will need at least 2A +12V.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/4ms-company-row-power-45
With a brick power source you have the 4ms for example, but I would consider an internal source or perhaps better an already powered box like the Mantis. You lose the 1U row but you gain power quality.
Regarding the modules
-I would keep the Maths option as modulation source. Your effects modules and complex voices have a lot to modulate.
-I would add a quantizer and an auxiliary mixer for complex modulation shapes, maybe a matrix mixer.
Best regards,

Hi,
I think you will need more power for this rack. CP1A only gives 1A +/-12V.
With current modules, you will need at least 2A +12V.

-- ferranadsr

Thanks mate

I was under the impression that the CP1A would only be needed for a couple of modules and not the full case, Case power is 1,4A.
I found another one, The endorphines one which is only 2hp, that would let me keep Maths.

I've been using quantizers in Pam's, only learning about this so no expert, will I still need another.

Do you recommend any external mixer? Trying to figure out what I need is puzzling me.

Many thanks

Ok, I misunderstood the power issue.
Pam's can work as a quantizer, but perhaps better to use it for tempo tasks. Doepfer has a very affordable double quantizer and good features.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-156
Regarding the mixer, I meant a mixer in the rack to mix CV signals. Matrix type for example
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai008-matrix-mixer-black
in only 10HP.

Ok, I misunderstood the power issue.
Pam's can work as a quantizer, but perhaps better to use it for tempo tasks. Doepfer has a very affordable double quantizer and good features.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/doepfer-a-156
Regarding the mixer, I meant a mixer in the rack to mix CV signals. Matrix type for example
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/ai-synthesis-ai008-matrix-mixer-black
in only 10HP.
-- ferranadsr

No worries, does Pams not do both at same time? Still learning about it. I’ve decided to not get Renee and stick with my OXI one for time being so if I put a small power module in I shouldn’t need to worry about space and power now. I can get the other quantizer and mixer you mentioned. I also want the Strymon module to put guitar pedals in. Might still have space for XPO! Excited about the new make noise module coming out though, sounds like a new stereo reverb, thanks for your help

I have been trying different combinations and think I'm getting closer to my instrument.

Got power under max, only just though.

any thoughts on my modules guys?
ModularGrid Rack

Pam's can do random, logic and looped random quantized pitch - so I'd hold off on the instruo random and logic and the turing machine for now

the qpas and the mfx will probably be enough filtering - so again hold off on the instruo filter

I'd seriously contemplate the 2 instruo dual vcas with a quad cascading vca - alm tangle quartet or the intellijel quad - more functionality in the same space and for less than 1/2 the price

I'd probably replace the 2 adsrs with a peaks clone

the instruo lion I'd also hold off on and get a simpler matrix mixer - firstly so that you get a good idea of what a matrix mixer is and how it works and secondly because I'd lose the dongley bits (the i/o and the loop cable) - also less expensive - go for a doepfer for example

I'd look at your mixing solution in general - the instruo vco could definitely do with a dedicated sub-mixer and the end of chain mixing looks poor - no send/return

I'm not convinced of the benefits of the xpan either - a happy nerding pan mix jr would take up less space and be much less expensive

I'd probably leave the percussion module for case number 2

I'd also want some sort of delay and reverb in there - which you might just about be able to squeeze in with the space savings

there's no need to fill the whole case straight away - go slowly and buy a single voiced minimum viable synth and go from there

I'd suggest taking a look at my signature and spending some time thinking about it before spending any money

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

sound sources < sound modifiers < modulation sources < utilities

Pam's can do random, logic and looped random quantized pitch - so I'd hold off on the instruo random and logic and the turing machine for now

the qpas and the mfx will probably be enough filtering - so again hold off on the instruo filter

I'd seriously contemplate the 2 instruo dual vcas with a quad cascading vca - alm tangle quartet or the intellijel quad - more functionality in the same space and for less than 1/2 the price

I'd probably replace the 2 adsrs with a peaks clone

the instruo lion I'd also hold off on and get a simpler matrix mixer - firstly so that you get a good idea of what a matrix mixer is and how it works and secondly because I'd lose the dongley bits (the i/o and the loop cable) - also less expensive - go for a doepfer for example

I'd look at your mixing solution in general - the instruo vco could definitely do with a dedicated sub-mixer and the end of chain mixing looks poor - no send/return

I'm not convinced of the benefits of the xpan either - a happy nerding pan mix jr would take up less space and be much less expensive

I'd probably leave the percussion module for case number 2

I'd also want some sort of delay and reverb in there - which you might just about be able to squeeze in with the space savings

there's no need to fill the whole case straight away - go slowly and buy a single voiced minimum viable synth and go from there

I'd suggest taking a look at my signature and spending some time thinking about it before spending any money

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks a lot Jim, this is a big help.

I have been saving for a while so have the money to get a good bit done in my case but in no rush as I want to learn and find out what I need as I go along, so your info is a great help. I'm just trying to plan it out so I know what I'm getting, and I'm aware that it could all change.

I wasn't thinking that the MFX was to be used a s a filter, I though it was an effect for reverb, echo etc. I see it also does auto panning and phasing etc. So it can be used as a transient shaper, so I take it this is more the filtering side of it?

I think I'll go wiht the ALM Tangle Quartet for the VCA, I have already got one of the Instruo ones (a good deal)

The peaks clone looks amazing, that's ideal. Looking at the After Late Audio ones. I watched a video on it and the guy was using branches to get a nice kick and snare, would this be a good option for some percussion, just would like something in there to get a beat. I was planning on the Coral as it has so many voice and would work well with the OXI one sequencer I have, drums, chords etc.

I'm really stuck on the mixer side of things, can you recommend a couple that would be good for the CsL utputs as you mentioned. I'll leave the matrix mixer until I find and learn more about them.

So if I was thinking the MFX was going to be my reverb/delay and you recommend delay and reverb, what other modules would you be thinking, something like the FX Aid?

Case No. 2 , lol, was hoping not to go down that route but I think its inevitable lol.

I'm planning on going in next wednesday to my shop and picking up the Peaks Clone, ALM Tangled Qaurtet and MFX, if you can give me some advice on the reverb delay and mixer I could maybe them as well and then that would do me till I get my head round the rest lol

Many thanks

NP

I wasn't thinking that the MFX was to be used a s a filter, I though it was an effect for reverb, echo etc. I see it also does auto panning and phasing etc. So it can be used as a transient shaper, so I take it this is more the filtering side of it?

My mistake - I've only got Pams from alm and confused it with a filter - it was late!!! in that case you will probably find you want at least one more filter, at some point...

The peaks clone looks amazing, that's ideal. Looking at the After Late Audio ones. I watched a video on it and the guy was using branches to get a nice kick and snare, would this be a good option for some percussion, just would like something in there to get a beat. I was planning on the Coral as it has so many voice and would work well with the OXI one sequencer I have, drums, chords etc.

I often use my peaks for percussion - but I have a lot more modulation options - and I'd recommend using it for modulation...

you can create a 'beat' by feeding noise (or any other audio source for that matter) into a vca and opening the vca with a trigger from Pams or Maths - I would not worry about this initially though - I would concentrate on learning to patch and getting to know whatever the first batch of modules you buy inside out

I'm really stuck on the mixer side of things, can you recommend a couple that would be good for the CsL utputs as you mentioned. I'll leave the matrix mixer until I find and learn more about them.

any basic mono mixer will do - a lot of people like moog cp3 clones - AISynthesis harmonic mixer for example - as it has some gain - so adds some nice harmonics - or a happy nerding 3*mia, or a mutable shades clone - you will probably find you want multiples of these types of module! you'll probably want an end of chain mixer with send and return at some point in the future... I like the tesseract modular tex-mix (as it's inexpensive, expandable and available as diy) for this purpose

So if I was thinking the MFX was going to be my reverb/delay and you recommend delay and reverb, what other modules would you be thinking, something like the FX Aid?

I'm not sure of the algorithms on the MFX - personally I'd go for a couple of fx aids - at least one of them the pro (so you can see what you are doing easily) - imo it's better to have at least 2 effects units - 1 for delay and another for reverb - some will offer delay into reverb, but that's not necessarily what you'll want to patch - maybe you'll want to have vco into reverb into filter

Case No. 2 , lol, was hoping not to go down that route but I think its inevitable lol.

yes, says he with 8 cases...

I'm planning on going in next wednesday to my shop and picking up the Peaks Clone, ALM Tangled Qaurtet and MFX, if you can give me some advice on the reverb delay and mixer I could maybe them as well and then that would do me till I get my head round the rest lol

"some of the best base-level info to remember can be found in Jim's sigfile" @Lugia

Utility modules are the dull polish that makes the shiny modules actually shine!!!

NP

My mistake - I've only got Pams from alm and confused it with a filter - it was late!!! in that case you will probably find you want at least one more filter, at some point...

I often use my peaks for percussion - but I have a lot more modulation options - and I'd recommend using it for modulation...

you can create a 'beat' by feeding noise (or any other audio source for that matter) into a vca and opening the vca with a trigger from Pams or Maths - I would not worry about this initially though - I would concentrate on learning to patch and getting to know whatever the first batch of modules you buy inside out

any basic mono mixer will do - a lot of people like moog cp3 clones - AISynthesis harmonic mixer for example - as it has some gain - so adds some nice harmonics - or a happy nerding 3*mia, or a mutable shades clone - you will probably find you want multiples of these types of module! you'll probably want an end of chain mixer with send and return at some point in the future... I like the tesseract modular tex-mix (as it's inexpensive, expandable and available as diy) for this purpose

I'm not sure of the algorithms on the MFX - personally I'd go for a couple of fx aids - at least one of them the pro (so you can see what you are doing easily) - imo it's better to have at least 2 effects units - 1 for delay and another for reverb - some will offer delay into reverb, but that's not necessarily what you'll want to patch - maybe you'll want to have vco into reverb into filter

yes, says he with 8 cases...

-- JimHowell1970

Thanks again :)

Ok, think I'm getting somewhere now lol

Going to leave percussion for now..(maybe 2nd case lol) and use what I can to create a beat, need to learn that anyway as you say.

I'll leave the MFX and go with the FX Aid pro just now, pure anologue sounds better to me, it looks great, i was originally planning on just getting the small one and MFX but decide which other one later.

Is this the mixer you were thinking of, my pal can put it together for me if needed. https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai022-kit/

There is also this one and one similar with a mix control..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115758587017?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjw0tKiBhC6ARIsAAOXutkoRF6OtlkVlL1gTITAwquPMOghldwNj8m6EudM2p5QBFq_sbg_1LIaAgUTEALw_wcB

I was looking at filter, probably just leave that the now to have a better look bu the Doepfer wasp one looks good and would be different from Qpas.

Thanks for your help and saving me money lol

:)

Thanks again :)

again np

Ok, think I'm getting somewhere now lol

Going to leave percussion for now..(maybe 2nd case lol) and use what I can to create a beat, need to learn that anyway as you say.

- the reason for this is it can easily get really expensive and often an external drum machine makes much more sense... obviously I haven't got much - as I have an external drum machine, an external drum synthesizer (both midi only though - which is a pain) and in rack drums - and at least 3 ways to sequence them!!!

I'll leave the MFX and go with the FX Aid pro just now, pure anologue sounds better to me, it looks great, i was originally planning on just getting the small one and MFX but decide which other one later.

the fx aids are still digital - the advantage over the mfx is the sheer number of different algorithms that are available - about 200 iirc and Igor doesn't seem to stop adding them... the advantage of getting the fx aid pro 1st is the screen, if you then get another and want to occupy less space - you can opt for one of the smaller ones (depending on how many modulation inputs you want etc) and then rearrange the algos on the pro so that the 1st 32 algos are the same as on the smaller model - this way you can easily work out which algo you are using on the smaller one (which just uses leds to signify the position)

Is this the mixer you were thinking of, my pal can put it together for me if needed. https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai022-kit/

There is also this one and one similar with a mix control..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115758587017?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjw0tKiBhC6ARIsAAOXutkoRF6OtlkVlL1gTITAwquPMOghldwNj8m6EudM2p5QBFq_sbg_1LIaAgUTEALw_wcB

yes either of those would work perfectly - the feedback module should also be available DIY (probably from their website)

I'd grab a couple - they're very useful - and probably soon after a happy nerding 3*MIA (which you'll want for modulation - once you start using the Maths properly - see the 'maths illustrated supplement' - you'll use the middle section of maths whilst patch programming)

if I were you I'd also grab a passive mult kit - and get your mate to teach you how to solder - it's not that difficult!!! and then build the mixers yourself!!! soldering is a very handy skill to have!

I was looking at filter, probably just leave that the now to have a better look bu the Doepfer wasp one looks good and would be different from Qpas.

I've got the WASP and the SEM and a ladder filter from Doepfer - amongst others - but really for the money they're pretty decent

if you're going to get a WASP - be aware that the ICs have a habit of blowing up - not a problem as they're inexpensive and don't need soldering... get your mate to add a few to an order if he's buying from a big supplier...

Thanks for your help and saving me money lol

:)

hahaha... you think I'm saving you money... I'm really just reallocating it!!!

- the reason for this is it can easily get really expensive and often an external drum machine makes much more sense... obviously I haven't got much - as I have an external drum machine, an external drum synthesizer (both midi only though - which is a pain) and in rack drums - and at least 3 ways to sequence them!!!

I have the Pulsar 23, which I have not tried yet but should sync up ok using OXI one and Clock in/out, just wanted the Case to have it all so I can take it with me to my jams etc and not have to take everything else, but thats not very often these days.>

>

the fx aids are still digital - the advantage over the mfx is the sheer number of different algorithms that are available - about 200 iirc and Igor doesn't seem to stop adding them... the advantage of getting the fx aid pro 1st is the screen, if you then get another and want to occupy less space - you can opt for one of the smaller ones (depending on how many modulation inputs you want etc) and then rearrange the algos on the pro so that the 1st 32 algos are the same as on the smaller model - this way you can easily work out which algo you are using on the smaller one (which just uses leds to signify the position)

I think the FX pro aid will be plenty to get on with, probably get the MFX later but will have a better look.

I'd grab a couple - they're very useful - and probably soon after a happy nerding 3*MIA (which you'll want for modulation - once you start using the Maths properly - see the 'maths illustrated supplement' - you'll use the middle section of maths whilst patch programming)

I'll get a couple, Playing about tonight, I could use them
I've been watching some tutorials on Maths, starting to get my he round it a bit and started using it, experimenting.

if I were you I'd also grab a passive mult kit - and get your mate to teach you how to solder - it's not that difficult!!! and then build the mixers yourself!!! soldering is a very handy skill to have!

like this one https://www.rakits.co.uk/product/passive-multiple-kit/
it looks ideal. I would love to get back into soldering, done it years ago, sure I could get the hang of it. Watching the video on the mixer and I'm sure I could manage that.

after watching some videos on the Wasp, I think I prefer the Ladder type like Instruo, but again, will take my time and check them out. Qpas came today an just checking it out..sounds awesome. Experimenting with Pams and I'm getting some great random stuff happening :)

hahaha... you think I'm saving you money... I'm really just reallocating it!!!

Yep, thats true but more wisely than I was doing before and better for what I need.
Once I pick up my stuff on Wednesday, I'll have my Envelopes and VCA's sorted for time being, that's what I wanted and then just take my time learning. the delay will be handy too.

Learned a lot..great help )

-- JimHowell1970

I've not got the hang of the quote section lol

-- JimHowell1970

They only have one of each in stock..be ok 2 different ones?

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/feedback-cp3-mixer-full-diy-kit/

https://www.thonk.co.uk/shop/ai022-kit/

-- Indianabones007

as long as you are happy, yes

-- Indianabones007

as long as you are happy, yes

-- JimHowell1970

Yeah I’m happy lad now 😊