Tell me if I have a clue or not. It's all new to me. Looking for the ability to sneak a guitar through it, use an external Moog synth or use the onboard tones....I need Midi and I know it.

Befaco makes a good module for introducing external instruments.

Bastl Hendrikson also: http://www.bastl-instruments.com/modular/hendrikson/

Erica Synths Black Hole DSP sounds quite good and the overall functionality is good but definitely not great, owing to the limitations of the FV-1 chip. If you're taking MIDI in it sounds like you've got a computer in your setup. Perhaps you could use Valhalla reverb in Ableton or similar...

Thanks! Working to sell a few old analogue synths to afford one of these. The advice is good, important and appreciated.

A few things...

It's a bit redundant to have both the Intellijel Audio I/O and muJack in such a tight setup, since having two sets of stereo outs is perhaps a bit of a space-waster. Plus, given that the muJack is designed for direct-wiring to various Intellijel mixers, you might be able to pick up a couple of extra hp by going with a stereo output that's smaller and scrapping the I/O altogether, since the usual audio-in situation with a guitar/synth deals with a mono signal. As for the input stage as well...do you just want the audio, or do you want an envelope follower as well so that the dynamic envelopes from the inputted instrument can do things like control VCAs, filter cutoffs, etc etc etc? If the latter, the Doepfer A-119 is a pretty straighforward solution, and you also get a gate comparator that goes high when the level exceeds a set threshold.

As for effects...I've always thought that, in a modular environment, a straight-up-analog spring reverb is a 'do'. They have interesting nonlinearities (being a mechanical device) that FX algorithms just never quite nail, plus when you overdrive them with a hard attack, you get this great, dubby, metallic 'splat' that just can't be duplicated just right. Also, you might consider a pedal I/O module like Malekko's SND/RTN, as an example, for an easy way to tweeze a stompbox (or any other line-level thingummy) into the rig and add something that might not be quite so modular-able.

BTW, I'm assuming you're using a back-plane power inlet...? Don't see one on the patchpanel...