I've always been a huge fan of the Silver Apples but I just learned about Morton Subotnicks, Silver Apples of the Moon.

Is there a connection here or just some crazy cosmic significance that the two most famous 60's synth/electronic musicians have essentially the same name for their music?

Would love some insight here. Thanks

Well, I know that the name originates in a poem by W.B. Yeats, "The Song of Wandering Aengus"...which then brings in a third musical connection, because there was a very famous studio in Boston, MA that also played a part in equipment design and manufacture. For more on that point, see here: http://mmone.org/aengus-studios/

But aside of that, there isn't a connection beyond the poem. According to Wikipedia, there's no mention of a connection between the band and the Subotnick work, nor does the band's official website mention one. However...

Subotnick: "...I'd been staging multimedia performances with dance companies using projections and coloured oils since the early 60s, which was several years before psychedelia is supposed to have started." (The Guardian, 6 Mar 2014)

Now, this is interesting. While I couldn't find a 1:1 connection, it's worth noting that by the time Subotnick composed his work, he was in NYC, which is the same scene that the band developed in. And the band did have some avant-garde music connections, as cellist Charlotte Moorman worked with them a few times, and Moorman was a veteran of the avant-garde scene, working most notably with the composer/video art pioneer Nam June Paik. If Subotnick was still into the psychedelic scene after arriving in New York, their paths very likely crossed, either directly or indirectly.

So, while neither says anything about the origin of one thing in another's work, it's probably best to say that there is a connection, but one that came through similar ideas in the mutual scene...sort of a product of the zeitgeist, if you will. And given the fascination with the mystical back in that period on all sides of the art scene, it's not surprising that Yeats' poetry might've been a touchstone for both Simeon and Subotnick. So, my vote goes for 'crazy cosmic significance'.

Wow, so crazy. I did some similar research and couldn't find the connection either. Sounds like Subotnick's work came first but not by much. I wonder the Silver Apples were simply playing homage to him when they named their group. If its a crazy cosmic significance, it would be totally freaking legendary. I'm gonna read that Yeats poem. haha

I'll let you know if i learn anything else.

Also check out my instagram, Blacksqre, to hear some of my stuff.