ModularGrid Rack

I'd like some input on my first setup.

All the modules here I have minus the reverb, joystic, and the two mxmxmx units. Those are currently unassembled. Also not shown is a SQ-1, a Werkstatt with CV expander and Korg's reissue of the odyssey.

My end goal for this current rack is a multitimbral synth that's chord friendly as well as being duophonic for basslines and melodies. I plan on playing the odyssey with a keyboard and using it's cv/gate out for monophonic patches for now. Eventually I'd like to get a yarns for the 4 voice allocation mode.

My long term goals with eurorack are fairly ambitious. I want to get into making generative music, as well as using my modular to process other sources like guitar, drums or other synths. Of course I'd also use it as an awesome mono synth or rudimentary poly synth. On top of all that I'd like to do this without spending a fortune. The case I've built myself and I'm looking to assemble DIY modules.

Where should I go from here? I have about $600 left to finish this rack. Should I invest in some more modules or should I get a semi modular to augment what I currently have?

I know I'm lacking a good LFO (the werkstatt has one I can use for now) a S&H, and a multiple. Logic and line in/out come in 1u tiles so I'll be making some of those. The SQ-1 covers my need for a sequencer and clock for now. What other utility functions should I get?

Thanks in advance!

My suggestion would be to look at an Expert Sleepers FH-1 instead of the Yarns. The programmability of the FH-1, plus the assignable CV outs and the ability to expand those up to 64 outputs would allow much more than 4 voices, plus it would let you output velocity, aftertouch CVs as well. And since it's a fully-compliant USB host, any controller with a USB connection will work just fine. It can even power USB-powered devices up to 100 mA.

That's a good suggestion! I had forgotten about the FH-1 and FH-2. I was looking at Bastl's 1983 and Polyend's poly, the 1983 has a cool "listen" function to keep vcos in tune and the poly had MPE support, but the FH-2 is capable of both those features, or a least has the ability to calibrate vcos. You've sold me getting an Expert Sleepers module. I don't know if I'll ever need to have 64 voices in a module context but it's nice to know there will be room to expand if I need to.

Also, I managed to get an Ants! for a good price. That gives me white noise and a S&H as well as 4 more oscillators and 2 LFOs (or 2 oscillators and 4 LFOs). I'm thinking I can pair this with an 0-coast and have a pretty killer little setup for now.

Maybe I'll get a Disting and take it easy for a bit. In the meantime I'll keep my eyes out if a FH-2 appears on the market for a good price.

Nah, not 64 voices. Let's say you have an FH-2 plus a full compliment of seven expanders, so 64 outputs. That means you can break all of this out into, say, eight monophonic channels...with each channel having:
1) note CV
2) gate
3) velocity CV
4) aftertouch CV (poly-capable!)
5) assigned modulation controller CV
6) release velocity CV (yep!)
7 and 8) two more sets of eight for special modulation purposes, assigned as needed.

Now, for a live gig situation, this is a bit over the top, but you'd still want the first four. But when using the FH-2 via a MIDI interface, you can have your DAW send all of that stuff and the FH-2 will break it down as needed. And for complex generative work, having massive incoming control signals to up the complexity ante is always a plus. Plus, having the X and Y inputs in use as a pair of 'sense' circuits, able to send CV back to the DAW, means that you can continue the generative architecture on into the computer itself; something such as Ableton Live + MAX for Live would allow you to build up specific M4L objects to listen to and react to those return 'sense' lines for the M4L object(s) purposes. That would allow a generative process with full control feedback between modular and computer, and endless control-order possibilities!