Hi,

I'm looking to get a Through Zero Oscillator (actually I think I need three for the thing I have in mind). Have seen demo's on YouTube for the Zeroscillator and while it is amazing it is just too much money. I'm in Eurorack Format and I've been looking at the Cyclebox and Rubicon. Are there any others that I should be looking at? What do people think of the Cyclebox and Rubicon? My understanding is that the Cyclebox would FM itself internally which would free my other oscillators for other things which would be good. I'm mainly thinking of bell-like sounds for the thing I have in mind. But with both of these options there would obviously be many other applications.

David

The sound you hear is that which you are listening for

The rubicon is an excellent choice for analog through zero. Very clean sines are important to the process, and the rubicon has some of the cleanest I've heard. You don't necessarily need 2 though. A Dixie will fm it quite well, and track in a similar way.

For digital TZ, the cyclebox is pretty great. It id discontinued though, so you might want to look at the Intellijel shapeshifter which is cyclebox's next iteration in a way. It has TZ fm, tons of wave tables, an analog wave folder (cycle box has a digital one), chords and much much more.

Yep I know I don't need a Rubicon to modulate a Rubicon - what I meant was that with the Cyclebox I didn't necessarily need to use another oscillator to FM it and hence my other non Through Zero oscillators would be free for other functions.

I shall look at the Shapeshifter now,

Thanks for the reply,

David

The sound you hear is that which you are listening for

The rubicon has become my favorite oscillator in my system (previously the AFG). I've used my uLFO to make really nice bell sounds. The cyclebox is cool for a lot of different reasons, but I prefer the tone of the rubicon. You won't be disappointed.