It would be super useful if each module page showed similar modules to the one you're currently looking at. I realise that this is not an easy problem to solve, but I figured it would be worth starting a discussion, as I have at least a partial solution:

Use the "similar racks" feature (with improvements suggested in the "feature request" thread), and look for modules that are not shared across similar racks. The idea here is that "similar racks" probably fall into vague rack-types, like sound-design racks, or live-performance racks, or ambient racks, etc. If a lot of sound-designy racks share a lot of modules, but rarely share two particular modules, then there's a fair chance that those two modules cover similar ground.

One example might be Make Noise Maths and Befaco Rampage - they aim to do similar things, and so it's unlikely that they'll appear both in a single rack. Another example might be something like Mutable Instruments Peaks and ALM's Pip Slope or Hikaki's Triple AD - each provides one or more simple, loopable envelopes, and so fills a similar niche in the eurorack ecosystem.

If there is any (anonymised) rack data available, I would be keen to have a crack at a proof of concept model for this.

Generally a good idea, however I am not sure about your heuristics. Medium-sized and big racks often will employ one type of module several times. That's certainly true for mults and VCAs, but also for bigger modules such as Maths.

Now, if someone builds his rack over time, there is a chance, that the original module he used is no longer available, so he will add another, functionally equivalent module later (or switch to DIY modules because the original budget has been used up). Also, there are certainly people who like to experiment with various modules, and by intention would buy, let's say, a Rampage, instead of a second Maths (as I did). That strategy also has a practical advantage: by employing similar modules of different vendors, you can replicate the basic common features, but at the same time, you have always the choice to use features specific to Maths or Rampage, should you need them.

So the heuristics you propose needs to be extended, somehow, or maybe replaced by a possibility for users to manually propose similar modules, ideally with a field to describe similarities and differences of the two modules (that would be really useful to make educated decisions before buying)

Cheers

So the heuristics you propose needs to be extended, somehow, or maybe replaced by a possibility for users to manually propose similar modules, ideally with a field to describe similarities and differences of the two modules (that would be really useful to make educated decisions before buying)

-- mcleinn

Yes, you're right - manual suggestions of similar modules would probably be far more accurate, given enough votes. If everyone's suggestions were recorded independently, too, then you'd have a measure of strength of similarity (number of suggestions).

I agree with your point about similar modules sometimes appearing in the same rack, however, I think given general scarcity (very few people have the resources to buy EVERY module they want, and so choices are going to be made between similar modules), it would still work to some degree. The question is just whether the signal would be stronger than the noise.

But yes, as I noted in the OP, it's definitely a partial solution, and I was hoping others would come up with additional constraints that might make it more useful (or even come up with entirely different and better options for an automated solution!).

Your particular example might be mitigated by putting higher weight on "similarities" found in smaller racks - if a rack is very large, then there's more chance that you might find a Maths and a Rampage. I doubt those two modules would ever appear together in a 1U 84HP skiff :)